Trade thoughts

3 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

This may be outdated by Heyman already. I was told that the Sox actually had advanced discussions for Crochet before Thursday. Three teams that the Sox were talking to throughout the process flat out dropped out. One of the trades did have Benintendi attached, but couldn't be confirmed if the other one did as well. At least one team was still interested until Crochet was asked about it.

The priority has been Crochet, Fedde and Kopech over the last week. The Sox will not give anyone away. The deals that I've heard for Robert would have folks here more pissed than the day JR opened his mouth about the Shohei stuff last year. One team has checked in on a Robert, Crochet deal since Friday. 

That's all I have. 

Dropped out when the extension stuff came out?

And I wouldn't give up anything for Robert right now, either. He just hasn't been as advertised outside of last year. And that doesn't even take into account injury concerns.

• TLR 1

5 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Dropped out when the extension stuff came out?

And I wouldn't give up anything for Robert right now, either. He just hasn't been as advertised outside of last year. And that doesn't even take into account injury concerns.

Correct. The extension stuff killed it for a lot of teams. Keep in mind, the teams that want him are attracted to him due are mostly large market teams. Perhaps the biggest attraction is getting a lefty ace at the beginning of his prime FOR CHEAP so they could stay under certain thresholds. Crochet threw that out the window. Some of those teams GMs would still go after him in a heartbeat, even with the same prospects attached. The problem is, their owners will not okay that. Especially with the White Sox also trying to pry Benentendi in the deal, seemingly. 

6 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Correct. The extension stuff killed it for a lot of teams. Keep in mind, the teams that want him are attracted to him due are mostly large market teams. Perhaps the biggest attraction is getting a lefty ace at the beginning of his prime FOR CHEAP so they could stay under certain thresholds. Crochet threw that out the window. Some of those teams GMs would still go after him in a heartbeat, even with the same prospects attached. The problem is, their owners will not okay that. Especially with the White Sox also trying to pry Benentendi in the deal, seemingly. 

If true, the Sox are as stupid as we thought.  Trying to include Benintendi, which would kill the return.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s becoming more and more likely that Harold is indeed Getz.

I will keep repeating that people have no idea how bad of a financial situation the Sox are in

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I will keep repeating that people have no idea how bad of a financial situation the Sox are in

Why?  They get a ton of guaranteed money from their regional and national TV deals and have almost no payroll commitments for next year.  They also don’t pay rent if attendance is super low.  Don’t let Harold convince you otherwise…he simply wants to free up money so we can sign a Santander caliber free agent.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Until they allow an independent accountant to examine their books I'll take any talk of losing money with a large grain of salt.

When the commissioner says the sports is now a 10 billion dollar a year business, with more international and domestic revenue streams than ever before and with the built in advantages of being the biggest market in said division to say nothing of things like every club getting a 50 million dollar check a few years ago when MLB sold BamTech, and factoring in sales from merchandise, concessions, parking (JR owns the lots) and TV/radio money, plus a sweetheart stadium deal, you have to be a complete idiot to lose money. 

Edited by Lip Man 1

19 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Until they allow an independent accountant to examine their books I'll take any talk of losing money with a large grain of salt.

When the commissioner says the sports is now a 10 billion dollar a year business, with more international and domestic revenue streams than ever before and with the built in advantages of being the biggest market in said division to say nothing of things like every club getting a 50 million dollar check a few years ago when MLB sold BamTech, and factoring in sales from merchandise, concessions, parking (JR owns the lots) and TV/radio money, plus a sweetheart stadium deal, you have to be a complete idiot to lose money. 

Yeah I don’t buy it for a second either. But even if it were the case, selling the team is a pretty damn easy solution. It’s not like The Sox are a passion project for Jerry, take your billion + and ride off into the sunset if you’re truly losing $. 

Also, a crazy idea…develop a decent business model to field a winning team. The idea that you can’t profit off of owning The Sox in Chicago is ridiculous. Jerry just sucks at it.

Jerry complaining about not being able to make $ owning the White Sox is equivalent to opening up a pizza place that only serves DiGiorno and wondering why your business is failing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They are not losing money.  Any indication that reports otherwise is easily due to fuzzy accounting.  Even if the income statements don’t look great, the team was purchased in 1981 for $19m.  The current estimated value is $2bn.  That’s a phenomenal ROI for any investor even if you lose money annually.  The likelihood is that Jerry and the Sox very likely cook the books with write offs and bonuses for their buddies to show an annual loss.  It’ll be even easier once he moves the team to Stadium Network which…he also owns a controlling interest in.  The Sox are currently the equivalent of Spirit Airlines, they give zero concern about the “customer experience” provided that the money keeps rolling in.  This is a business for Jerry and the ownership group, nothing more, nothing less.  Unfortunately in professional sports, that’s pretty shitty for the fan base.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rusty said:

They are not losing money.  Any indication that reports otherwise is easily due to fuzzy accounting.  Even if the income statements don’t look great, the team was purchased in 1981 for $19m.  The current estimated value is $2bn.  That’s a phenomenal ROI for any investor even if you lose money annually.  The likelihood is that Jerry and the Sox very likely cook the books with write offs and bonuses for their buddies to show an annual loss.  It’ll be even easier once he moves the team to Stadium Network which…he also owns a controlling interest in.  The Sox are currently the equivalent of Spirit Airlines, they give zero concern about the “customer experience” provided that the money keeps rolling in.  This is a business for Jerry and the ownership group, nothing more, nothing less.  Unfortunately in professional sports, that’s pretty shitty for the fan base.

They're down about $200 million from their highest valuation point by Forbes. 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

They're down about $200 million from their highest valuation point by Forbes. 

That’s why Jerry is trying to angle for a private stadium.  Of course it’ll be taxpayer financed, but a franchise owned stadium…their valuation probably comes close to $2.5bn, likely closer to $3bn.  I am near certain that they are purposefully suppressing both “profit” and franchise valuation for tax purposes until Jerry passes and it can be sold by Michael.  They might be shitty MLB owners but they are very smart business people.

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Unless something starts happening soon, I agree. Trading 5 or 6 guys on the 25 man roster at the deadline isn’t practical  for several reasons.

Yes, part of me thinks that if they were going to deal people, they would have done so like the Rays did by now. It would sure suck to be Pham or DeJong if they were on this team after the deadline.

Just now, The Beast said:

Yes, part of me thinks that if they were going to deal people, they would have done so like the Rays did by now. It would sure suck to be Pham or DeJong if they were on this team after the deadline.

I don't think Robert or Crochet are being moved, so outside of Fedde the rest should be able to get done fairly quickly. Be nice if one or two happened tonight, though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Still can be moved but ineligible for post season...in August.  Or that rule changed too? 

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If true, the Sox are as stupid as we thought.  Trying to include Benintendi, which would kill the return.

Yeah thats just infuriating. 

The payroll is already gonna be very low next year. If you put Beni in the deal, you can forget about even one savage in the return.

I dont have an issue with Crochet trying to take care of himself and i don't have an issue with the Sox optioning him for the rest of the year to get another year of service time back under the guise of bringing up youngsters to the 26 man to "evaluate" them for the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, nitetrain8601 said:

This doesn’t make much sense. Even with an extension, Crochet would still be very cheap in 25-26. 

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah thats just infuriating. 

The payroll is already gonna be very low next year. If you put Beni in the deal, you can forget about even one savage in the return.

I dont have an issue with Crochet trying to take care of himself and i don't have an issue with the Sox optioning him for the rest of the year to get another year of service time back under the guise of bringing up youngsters to the 26 man to "evaluate" them for the rest of the season.

They cant option Crochet.  The MLBPA would 100% call them out for service time manipulation and would absolutely win.  The Sox FO and ownership is completely incompetent but not even close to incompetent enough to attempt this.

4 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Feels like it is all culminating in a relocation in 2030

They’ll never re-locate.  The league would never approve it and it doesn’t make any sense financially.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This doesn’t make much sense. Even with an extension, Crochet would still be very cheap in 25-26. 

I’m very skeptical of a legacy poster who suddenly is an insider with loads of info that only a handful of people in the front office would know.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Yeah I don’t buy it for a second either. But even if it were the case, selling the team is a pretty damn easy solution. It’s not like The Sox are a passion project for Jerry, take your billion + and ride off into the sunset if you’re truly losing $. 

Also, a crazy idea…develop a decent business model to field a winning team. The idea that you can’t profit off of owning The Sox in Chicago is ridiculous. Jerry just sucks at it.

Jerry complaining about not being able to make $ owning the White Sox is equivalent to opening up a pizza place that only serves DiGiorno and wondering why your business is failing.

JR would have to pay around 200 million in capital gains tax then add on Illinois sales tax which is why he isn't selling as long as he is alive. 

Just now, Rusty said:

They’ll never re-locate.  The league would never approve it and it doesn’t make any sense financially.  

Exactly correct. MLB wants the enormous sums an expansion team would have to pay to join the league. 

• Like 1