Heyman live chat at B/R noon central time

5 hours ago, Capn12 said:

As much as it pains me to even say, we probably have to move Crochet now, as he is at his highest value possible, despite the innings limitations.

I'm actually not sure that's true. If the White Sox hold him, and he just manages to not get injured, even if his innings are tapered, he very well may be worth more over the offseason, with a team able to plan around his "full season."

While theoretically getting him now gets you next year plus whatever is in the tank here, the teams that are pushing in at the deadline specifically need something now, so giving up chips for Crochet represents opportunity cost against an alternative. Even if that alternative is inferior, it may be a better fit for the rest of 2024, and you can plan for 2025 when the time comes.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Hopefully it’s posturing, but not liking some of the MLB insiders speculating the Sox don’t make a big trade. 

I’m not buying it.  If Getz isn’t the GM making the most trades by the deadline, he has failed miserably at his undeserved job.  The only untouchable player on this roster is Thorpe.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

28 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not buying it.  If Getz isn’t the GM making the most trades by the deadline, he has failed miserably at his undeserved job.  The only untouchable player on this roster is Thorpe.

You say this as if he hasn’t already. His off-season doesn’t exactly inspire confidence that he’ll get any of these trades right. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Does Dalton Rushing hit enough to play 1B?  If not, I’d probably prefer De Paula despite the defensive concerns.

Yeah we need a legit savage bat. I'd take De Paula, Ferris, and a couple other pieces....but LAD just doesn't match up that well. I'd strongly prefer someone else. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

And no breadcrumbs from the board insiders.

Well we all know the Sox have players other teams want, those other teams are calling/texting Chris Getz and Josh Barfield shooting the sh*t asking what they’d need in return for Robert, Crochet, Fedde, Kopech, Brebia, Pham, etc, hell probably even as you read this post Getz just got a text. Think it’s fair to assume they’ve spoken to every team in playoff contention about a number of possibilities and none of those teams have met the asking price to move those players right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There has to be another team willing to trade. So far no ine like the fit with LA, NY or Atlanta. Baltimore won't trade anyone worth it. Unless dombrowski decides to go nuts they really don't seem to need crochet either.

There aren't many teams left and the ones that are do they want to give up a haul for Crochet?

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There has to be another team willing to trade. So far no ine like the fit with LA, NY or Atlanta. Baltimore won't trade anyone worth it. Unless dombrowski decides to go nuts they really don't seem to need crochet either.

There aren't many teams left and the ones that are do they want to give up a haul for Crochet?

The Sox have two of the top starters to deal making nothing, a top CF talent on a good contract (3/$55), several relievers to deal, Pham, and DeJong.

There is literally one player on the roster that Getz shouldn’t be looking to deal in Thorpe.

There aren’t many teams left?  Huh?  Teams make trades each and every trade deadline.  This year will be no different.  There are competitive teams in need of everything and the Sox have a bit of everything to trade — starters, position players, and bullpen.

If Getz isn’t the busiest GM in baseball with several trades completed by the trade deadline, he has failed.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

You say this as if he hasn’t already. His off-season doesn’t exactly inspire confidence that he’ll get any of these trades right. 

Agreed, but I was told we all had to at least give Getz the offseason, the draft, and the trade deadline to truly judge him.

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sox have two of the top starters to deal making nothing, a top CF talent on a good contract (3/$55), several relievers to deal, Pham, and DeJong.

There is literally one player on the roster that Getz shouldn’t be looking to deal in Thorpe.

There aren’t many teams left?  Huh?  Teams make trades each and every trade deadline.  This year is no different.

If Getz isn’t the busiest GM in baseball with several trades completed by the trade deadline, he has failed.

That's fine but name the teams that are looking to add at the deadline that you would be happy with.

Most people on the board have ruled out many of the teams that are willing to deal.

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Wheeler, Nola, Crochet

That wins you a WS IMO 

Get Aidan Miller back too

Edited by Rey21

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's fine but name the teams that are looking to add at the deadline that you would be happy with.

Most people on the board have ruled out many of the teams that are willing to deal.

Most people have no clue what teams are offering for any of the Sox players.  I don’t see how a Sox fan can “rule out” anything when Getz is the one fielding calls from other GMs, not the fans.  This is like trying to come up with a preemptive excuse for Getz in case he fails.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Wheeler, Nola, Crochet

That wins you a WS IMO 

Get Aidan Miller back too

Most agree that Philly isn't looking to add pitching. And if that's the only team, there isn't much leverage to get a good deal.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Most people have no clue what teams are offering for any of the Sox players.  I don’t see how a Sox fan can rule out anything when Getz is the one fielding calls from other Game, not the fans.  This is like trying to come up with a preemptive excuse for Getz.

This is my point.  If everyone is already ruling out most teams because their hitting prospects suck, the return will be crap because there is no leverage. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Most agree that Philly isn't looking to add pitching. And if that's the only team, there isn't much leverage to get a good deal.

Who is “most”?  It took me two seconds to find recent articles that the Phillies would like to add pitching.

Just now, ptatc said:

There’s teams we’re not talking about either DBacks, Red Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Mariners could trade for Crochet and swap one of their pitchers for a big bat, Guardians, Rays, etc.

Crochet being controllable opens up so many possibilities for teams who aren’t just looking for this year but next also 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is my point.  If everyone is already ruling out most teams because their hitting prospects suck, the return will be crap because there is no leverage. 

This is just Sox fans wanting their desired/favorite position prospects.  Sox fans, not Getz, are the ones trying to rule out certain teams because they don’t like their hitting prospects over other teams’ hitting prospects.  You are making it seem like none of the competitive teams that are looking to deal for players have any top offensive prospects.  There are more guys out there than simply Holliday and Mayo.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

13 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Agreed, but I was told we all had to at least give Getz the offseason, the draft, and the trade deadline to truly judge him.

Nah, we can judge now, as we could when he looked like a deer in headlights at his intro presser. Never fear though, he'll get many an offseason/draft/deadline to f*** up over and over.

• Like 1

No excuses for this guy.  He is even telegraphing it himself.  If Getz hasn’t completed several trades by the deadline, he has done something wrong.

“As trade market 'comes alive,' White Sox GM Chris Getz digs in for deadline”

“Getz isn’t naming names, but it’s known he’s listening on everyone, Garrett Crochet, Luis Robert Jr. and Erick Fedde included. He acknowledged five or six players could be dealt as the Sox build for the future.”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This is just Sox fans wanting their desired/favorite position prospects.  You are making it seem like none of the competitive teams that are looking to deal for players have any top offensive prospects.  There are more guys out there than simply Holliday and Mayo.

It's  not me. It's most of the replies on the board. I don't know most of the team systems. It's just everything I'm reading on here is how none of these systems that are from the teams mostly tied to the trade rumors are worth trading with.

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

In no way should Thorpe be untouchable. 

is it normal for the GM to be on the road with the team in this situation?

Edited by GreenSox

4 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'm actually not sure that's true. If the White Sox hold him, and he just manages to not get injured, even if his innings are tapered, he very well may be worth more over the offseason, with a team able to plan around his "full season."

While theoretically getting him now gets you next year plus whatever is in the tank here, the teams that are pushing in at the deadline specifically need something now, so giving up chips for Crochet represents opportunity cost against an alternative. Even if that alternative is inferior, it may be a better fit for the rest of 2024, and you can plan for 2025 when the time comes.

On the other hand, this is desperation season, and the off-season is not desperation season. Plus, crochet is really the only elite pitcher on the market. That will not be the case in the off-season. 
As for his endurance, it’s less of an issue for teams that have certainty that they will be in the playoffs because they can rest him up and prepare him for October.

there are plausible reasons why the value may be good in the off-season. But you can’t keep kicking the can down the road. We’re gonna do the same thing with Robert. And last off-season the Cease return really came out light. 

10 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

In no way should Thorpe be untouchable. 

is it normal for the GM to be on the road with the team in this situation?

There really isn’t much it would make sense to trade Thorpe for, especially when the Sox could be on the verge of trading away two of their starters.  If Thorpe isn’t untouchable, he’s probably the closest to having that status on this roster.

As far as your second question, I’m not sure but I doubt it matters much with cell phones, laptops, tablets, Teams/Zoom, etc.  Getz should be able to analyze any potential trade and get feedback from the rest of his staff within a matter of minutes.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I have no inside information, but I'm guessing both Crochet and Robert are White Sox on July 31. The teams that want them the most don't have the "blow you away" prospects we should get for those two. I think Getz keeps them both and the market opens up for other teams this off season that see themselves close, but not in the hunt this year (e.g. Cubs). The July 30 frenzy might get some teams to up the ante, but the return needs to blow us away or we stand pat on those two. 

• Like 1