Keith Law's Updated Top 60

16.) Noah Schultz

Preseason Ranking: 79

Schultz’s 2023 season ended early due to a shoulder impingement, but he came out on fire this year, moving up to Double A and continuing to mow down hitters, striking guys out at a solid clip while continuing to show extremely low walk rates for a guy who throws hard with a delivery that isn’t bad but isn’t the prettiest, either. He was the most impressive pitcher at the Futures Game this year and could pitch in the majors in 2024 if the White Sox wanted him to, although doing so would mean adding him to the 40-man roster a year early.

42.) Hagen Smith

Preseason Ranking: NA

Smith was right behind Burns among pitchers in the class, working 92-97 with a plus slider, a funky delivery and a low three-quarters slot that makes for a very uncomfortable at-bat for left-handed hitters. He does have some trouble locating to his glove side, and he’s already had Tommy John surgery (in high school), the two main factors why I had him ranked just slightly below Chase Burns. But I also think he should move very quickly, and could be a No. 2 starter.

43.) Edgar Quero

Preseason Ranking: 67

Quero came over to the White Sox in the Lucas Giolito trade last July and continues to get on base at a high clip (.363 this year), with high contact rates (17.2 percent strikeout rate) and, this year, a little more pop than he’s shown before, as he’s up to 13 homers. He’s a solid defender who should continue to improve back there and has already made a ton of progress on his defense. He’s just 21, but he’ll probably see the majors either at the end of this season or early in 2025.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5656143/2024/07/25/mlb-top-prospects-2024-jackson-holliday/

Colson has fallen out of the top 60. 

Edited by DirtySox

At this point, I wonder if Colson should have stayed in Birmingham to start the year.

Edit: Which, prospect rankings aren't the impetus behind that thought, but are making me wonder it aloud.

Posted (edited)

Someone inquired on Colson in the comments and Keith responded.

reg D.

Excellent article Keith! Is the dropping of Colson Montgomery due primarily to his overall production or the reality he's struggling against velocity this season? Been a really rough year for him at a hitter friendly park like Charlotte.

Keith Law

@Greg D. He hasn't looked good on either side of the ball since the back injury. And you are correct about the velocity issue.

Edited by DirtySox

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Someone inquired on Colson in the comments and Keith responded.

The inability to hit a fastball is a huge redflag.  I wonder if the back injury is a part of it, or if that is separate.

• Like 2

Regarding some prospects we have been discussing as trade returns.

Colt Emerson is now 5th overall from 37th.

Basallo is now 11th from 20th.

Josue De Paula is now 14th from 25th.

Aidan Miller is now 20th from 89th.

Dalton Rushing is now 31st from 86th.

Justin Crawford is now 35th from 43rd.

• Like 1

• DirtySox changed the title to Keith Law's Updated Top 60
2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Regarding some prospects we have been discussing as trade returns.

Colt Emerson is now 5th overall from 37th.

Basallo is now 11th from 20th.

Josue De Paula is now 14th from 25th.

Aidan Miller is now 20th from 89th.

Dalton Rushing is now 31st from 86th.

Justin Crawford is now 35th from 43rd.

Well at least Sox fans seem to be on the right path.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Was going to say we needed another arm but then I saw your text at the bottom.

Brought to you by the same owner that nearly killed Luol Deng with a spinal tap.

The hope on Colson is - the back injury is just something he has been dealing with and he needs a full off-season to get himself kind of fully right (and that it isn't actually a long-term issue).