Cease has no hitter going into 8th vs. WSH

16 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Yeah who really cares? It's not like he is on some Frank Thomas level or something. I mean good for him, but it means nothing ultimately. Phillip Humber threw a perfect game and he sucked. 

Cease missed a no hitter by one out with the White Sox two years ago against the Twins.

https://www.mlb.com/news/dylan-cease-near-no-hitter-against-twins

This was just the Padres second no hitter in franchise history.  It is sort of a big deal.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

12 minutes ago, wegner said:

Good for him.

If the Padres were more of a class organization, they would send us over a little something extra....I'm sure Jerry wouldn't say no to a little "money named later."

The "something extra" is the return we will get for Steven Wilson....oh wait.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, T R U said:

Did you watch it? I tuned in on MLB TV mid celebration and its just like, he would be our ace and the only reason he isn't is because the owner has no desire to pay people high level money. It sucks.

He was great for like one season and solid for a couple more for us. He's not a Sox legend in any sort of way so meh for me.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

He was great for like one season and solid for a couple more for us. He's not a Sox legend in any sort of way so meh for me.

He's a really good pitcher that should still be in the White Sox rotation. He's not, and the only reason for that is because the Sox wouldn't pay him what hes worth. It's the same reason were about to lose Crochet as well. Like I said, it sucks.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

He's a really good pitcher that should still be in the White Sox rotation. He's not, and the only reason for that is because the Sox wouldn't pay him what hes worth. It's the same reason were about to lose Crochet as well. Like I said, it sucks.

It sucks that we suck, I'll give you that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Comparing ERAs between one starter with only 38.2 innings pitched and another starter with 131 innings pitched doesn’t seem like the greatest comparison.  One mediocre to bad start could shoot up Thorpe’s ERA through the roof.

Also, don’t look at their respective K/9.  Hopefully, Thorpe improves his over time.  Until then, only Cease can be considered a true ace.

Cease doesn’t even have the best ERA on his team. He’s not a frontline ace for a contender like Corbin Burnes or Chris Sale. He’s a low end #2 or good #3. Anyways, I’m happy with the return the Sox got for him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea i wouldn't call him a Sox legend, but he has had some legendary moments. 

His 3-3 hit day with 6IP, 11k and 1hit against was one of my fav games over the past few years. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Cease doesn’t even have the best ERA on his team. He’s not a frontline ace for a contender like Corbin Burnes or Chris Sale. He’s a low end #2 or good #3. Anyways, I’m happy with the return the Sox got for him. 

King doesn't have anything like his proven durability. 

Pitching like this with Musgrove and Darvish both possibly out for the season is the definition of an ace. 

They were in danger of free falling out of the WC race ten days ago. 

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

King doesn't have anything like his proven durability. 

I think that’s the argument. Does being durable make you an ace though? Kyle Gibson has been extremely durable but does that make him anything more than a solid #4?

43 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This will only serve to feed my vacillating opinion on the trade return.

Thorpe is the key. If he can be about as good as Cease, it's a win for us since we control him for longer. Any of the other prospects panning out would make it very much a W for us.

1 hour ago, scotty22hotty said:

"cease isn't an ace"

LMAO ?

22 innings. 0 runs. What… 3 hits???

Please come explain @Rolle Tide to these fools who clearly are not able to comprehend that those numbers are not good enough to be called an ace.

19 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Too bad my savior and fallen angel the sweet sweet profit @Rolle Tide told me he isn’t an ace. 

My guy Cease sure would look good on the O’s right about now. ?

*cough* asshats *cough*

Ok, we really don't need to troll this dude anymore.  Let it go.

• Like 1