Cease has no hitter going into 8th vs. WSH

3 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

A big deal to who? I don’t care about the Padres. 

Yet you spent the time to post in a thread that is clearly about ex-Sox player Cease throwing a no hitter not once but twice?  Okay…

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Posted (edited)

The truth is, it was probably only a matter of time before Dylan Cease threw a no-hitter.

Since 2021, Cease had recorded an astounding 11 starts of at least six innings with just one hit allowed. That’s the most such starts by any pitcher in baseball over that span, and only five pitchers in MLB history have recorded more in their careers: Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Justin Verlander, Bob Feller and Blake Snell, all of whom (except for Snell, who is still seeking his first) have thrown multiple no-nos. Prior to this week, Cease’s closest call had come two years ago against the Twins, when now-teammate Luis Arraez spoiled the bid with two outs in the ninth inning.

On Thursday afternoon in Washington, D.C., Cease got it done. Despite an ultra-rare, mid-first-inning rain delay that put his start into question before it even began, Cease took the mound roughly 90 minutes later than expected and proceeded to deliver the outing of his life: a career-high 114 pitches across nine innings with three walks, nine strikeouts and, of course, zero hits allowed. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/dylan-ceases-no-hitter-marks-the-latest-high-point-in-his-ascent-with-the-padres-055159898.html

Edited by caulfield12

On 7/25/2024 at 3:07 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Cease doesn’t even have the best ERA on his team. He’s not a frontline ace for a contender like Corbin Burnes or Chris Sale. He’s a low end #2 or good #3. Anyways, I’m happy with the return the Sox got for him. 

I'm not. Zavala's been a nothing (he's only 19 though) and Iriarte's been up and down. Thorpe's been good though

On 7/25/2024 at 3:43 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And still higher than Drew Thorpe. Crazy.

On 7/25/2024 at 3:44 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Comparing ERAs between one starter with only 38.2 innings pitched and another starter with 131 innings pitched doesn’t seem like the greatest comparison.  One mediocre to bad start could shoot up Thorpe’s ERA through the roof.

Also, don’t look at their respective K/9.  Hopefully, Thorpe improves his over time.  Until then, only Cease can be considered a true ace.

Uh oh.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Uh oh.

I’ve said this numerous times but this is @JUSTgottaBELIEVE’s MO.  He craps on every player the Sox trade away and hypes up only players the Sox receive.  He also likes to use “moment in time” stats to crap on the outgoing players.  Here’s a perfect example of him getting burned, and it only took one day.  I am definitely not happy to be right here, as I like Thorpe and hope he has massive success, but the lack of strikeouts was an obvious red flag for him so far.  Sure, Thorpe is better for the Sox due to years of control, but he ain’t as good as Cease, not yet if ever.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

There really needed to be another top player in this deal.

Yep, seems that way so far but it’s still early.  I still have a lot of faith in Thorpe but I’m not sure he will ever be an ace with a 91-93 mph fastball.  But I also had high hopes for Zavala.  He is not impressing right now unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Snopek said:

It’s at least a little funny to me that Thorpe and Kyle Hendricks got lit up on the same night.

Old man Salvy seriously looked like he ended Hendrick’s career, or at least ended his run as being a good starting pitcher.  It was sad.  Look at this meatball from Hendricks and watch Salvy absolutely wind up and tee off on it.

https://mlb-cuts-diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/2024/2024-07/26/97bcbbf6-b714cc5b-498d5bc3-csvm-diamondx64-asset_1280x720_59_16000K.mp4

Edited by WhiteSox2023

On 7/26/2024 at 8:14 PM, southsider2k5 said:

There really needed to be another top player in this deal.

At the time, I said so. Not only did I hate the return on this trade, but we were also not under any sort of rushed timeframe to accept a bad deal at that particular time; we could afford to be patient and as fans we all knew at that point the Cease value was at its lowest.

As the deadline approaches, the reporting is that teams are in a desperate search for players in particular starting pitching, as there are not many viable sellers. We should have been in the drivers seat with three premier starters, demanding a ransom for the cease. We have such a clueless FO. Roberts was the one we ought to have moved in the offseason, but he was untouchable. Why? For some reason the FO behaved like we were retooling instead of rebuilding and it is beyond me the logic behind it. We were one of the worst teams in the league that apparent in the offseason. No one should be shocked by this. 

Roberts was the most valuable he has ever been, so we ought to have invested in trading him first rather than Cease. As an organization, we sell low and buy high, then wonder why we can't compete in the MLB with a midmarket budget. For me, as long as the decision-making process is sound, I am willing to accept individual bad outcomes and will not be harsh on a FO who makes good decisions but ends up with bad results because, as long as the process is sound, eventually things will turn around.

For me, trading Cease was a firable offense just because it showed a total lack of strategic vision. That is still my belief. I have zero belief in the white sox turning things around in the near future to be honest my fandom is hanging on by a thread. I barely watch the games because what is the point. I follow the boxscores still and I follow what is happening with our prospects but I barely watch 1/10 the games. I used to never miss a game but there is just no reason to watch there isn't even a roster full of names hoping to rebuild their value. Just trash up and down the roster with the exception of a handful of players. 

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

At the time, I said so. Not only did I hate the return on this trade, but we were also not under any sort of rushed timeframe to accept a bad deal at that particular time; we could afford to be patient and as fans we all knew at that point the Cease value was at its lowest.

As the deadline approaches, the reporting is that teams are in a desperate search for players in particular starting pitching, as there are not many viable sellers. We should have been in the drivers seat with three premier starters, demanding a ransom for the cease. We have such a clueless FO. Roberts was the one we ought to have moved in the offseason, but he was untouchable. Why? For some reason the FO behaved like we were retooling instead of rebuilding and it is beyond me the logic behind it. We were one of the worst teams in the league that apparent in the offseason. No one should be shocked by this. 

Roberts was the most valuable he has ever been, so we ought to have invested in trading him first rather than Cease. As an organization, we sell low and buy high, then wonder why we can't compete in the MLB with a midmarket budget. For me, as long as the decision-making process is sound, I am willing to accept individual bad outcomes and will not be harsh on a FO who makes good decisions but ends up with bad results because, as long as the process is sound, eventually things will turn around.

For me, trading Cease was a firable offense just because it showed a total lack of strategic vision. That is still my belief. I have zero belief in the white sox turning things around in the near future to be honest my fandom is hanging on by a thread. I barely watch the games because what is the point. I follow the boxscores still and I follow what is happening with our prospects but I barely watch 1/10 the games. I used to never miss a game but there is just no reason to watch there isn't even a roster full of names hoping to rebuild their value. Just trash up and down the roster with the exception of a handful of players. 

Even more the Thorpe is untraceable and clearly better than Cease already. 

SSS epitomized there for sure. 

Let's not forget Burger as well... that's looking worse and worse by the day. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Even more the Thorpe is untraceable and clearly better than Cease already. 

SSS epitomized there for sure. 

Let's not forget Burger as well... that's looking worse and worse by the day. 

I said it when Thorpe was in the minors putting up numbers that it is one thing to make minor league hitters chase your curveball it's another for major league hitters.

He has a 5.71 xFIP he is not better than cease right now. Cease has a 3.12 xFIP. 

Furthermore guys with his pitch profile usually end up as back the rotation type starters. Are there exceptions like Keuchel (when he was good), Kluber, Mark Buehrle, etc but guys with a 91-92 fastball are not at the front of most rotations.

The problem is when people treat those guys as the rule rather than the exception. I remember when madrigal was drafted. I said with that dudes frame he will never hit for power. People then said well look at Peddie and Altuve. Well look at Madrigal. The rule is the rule for a reason and exceptions are the exceptions for a reason. There is a reason why SD moved Thorpe Preller is very good at identifying the talent within his organization and moving the right prospects.

We suck at it. Not only identifying other teams minor league talent to trade for but also our own minor league talent and draft selections. Anyways I am rambling at this point.