24 Summer Olympics Thread

Pretty good day all around. Those waves are just nuts. Was at the beach today (not Fiji the one by where I live) and I can’t imagine seeing waves that size and being crazy enough to be in them. 

On 7/28/2024 at 6:07 PM, wegner said:

I've been enjoying the surfing.

Just watched some women's rugby and that was cool too.

The Maher woman on the Rugby team is unreal. Reminds me of Earl Campbell in his prime. Just knocks people over then runs away from them. 

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Maher woman on the Rugby team is unreal. Reminds me of Earl Campbell in his prime. Just knocks people over then runs away from them. 

That is a spot on analogy. She is fun to watch bowl over people and then just go!!!

I gave it a chance but 3 on 3 basketball just isn't working for me. 

The surfing was awesome. I can't imagine the rush of popping up and feeling that energy in the wave. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

The surfing was awesome. I can't imagine the rush of popping up and feeling that energy in the wave. 

2 very different sports became my obsession for a week or so the last 2 Olympics....In the Winter, I watched far too much curling and this time it was the surfing. The breaking of those huge waves accenting the different shades of blue was mesmerizing and the athletes were tremendous. Unfortunately I believe I am missing the semis and medal rounds "live" today but I will try to avoid the results and catch the replay when I get home.

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

It's too bad our NBA players aren't doing it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's too bad our NBA players aren't doing it. 

That would probably have made a difference. The women's just didn't grab my attention. 

I thought it would be like sand volleyball and be more exciting. 

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

That would probably have made a difference. The women's just didn't grab my attention. 

I thought it would be like sand volleyball and be more exciting. 

You need the right players. Long slashers dominate three on three action.

Made it home in time to watch the surfing.

My better half...."Honey, why do you want to watch surfing?"

Flashback to 2 years ago...."Honey, are you watching curling again?"

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

You need the right players. Long slashers dominate three on three action.

NBA players can't do it though.  FIBA made rules so you have to accumulate a certain number of ranking points to be eligible to play 3x3 in the Olympics and no one is going to let their players play in tournaments to accumulate ranking points.

2 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

NBA players can't do it though.  FIBA made rules so you have to accumulate a certain number of ranking points to be eligible to play 3x3 in the Olympics and no one is going to let their players play in tournaments to accumulate ranking points.

That's fine, but it is too bad they aren't playing.  It would be fantastic to see some of these guys in a pick up style format.  Forget all of the pick and pop basketball of 2024, let's see that atheticism on display.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

That's fine, but it is too bad they aren't playing.  It would be fantastic to see some of these guys in a pick up style format.  Forget all of the pick and pop basketball of 2024, let's see that atheticism on display.

I agree and I think FIBA by putting in place the current rules isn't really developing any interest in 3x3.  All the comments are basically about how bad the sport is and how little talent people are seeing on display.

Men's basketball thought. If they took only the best players from these Olympics. Randomly divided them onto two teams regardless of country, and had them play, you would have the NBA All Star game. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Men's basketball thought. If they took only the best players from these Olympics. Randomly divided them onto two teams regardless of country, and had them play, you would have the NBA All Star game. 

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/nba-players-by-country

Of course Wembayana this year..and all the first round draft picks as well.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That last 3 by Steph was absurd and unfair.  Double team, fadeaway tear drop from 25.  Never a doubt.  Going to say, with 4 MVPs active, this was probably the best group since 92.

If it would be the same and fair throughout the rest of the world, would you prefer amateurs over NBA stars?