How the F are we ever going to build an offense?

The title says it all.  We have one of the worst offenses in modern baseball history and little to no pieces that will be part of the next good one outside of possibly Robert (if not traded), Baldwin, & Lee.  As such, Getz will almost have to build an entire lineup from scratch which will be no easy feat.

And to make matters that much harder, a ton of our top positional prospects have struggled this year in Colson (85 wRC+ in AAA), Ramos (66 wRC+ in AAA), & Gonzalez (77 wRC+ in AA).  The three more advanced OF prospects in our system in Colas (97 wRC+), Fletcher (89 wRC+), & DeLoach (93 wRC+) all look more like AAAA guys.  And there’s not a ton at the young levels to get excited about with Zavala hitting below .200 (despite an elite BB rate) and Burrowes mostly a disaster.  Wolkow is obviously highly intriguing but has a long ways to go with the K rate before he enters the long-term plan and Ronny Hernandez has been a pleasant surprise this year but is a 19 year old catcher in A ball.

As I‘ve stated before, I do have confidence in Bannister and the pitching side of things, but the outlook for the offense is beyond a bit terrifying.  What should the plan be there?  How do we go about building something capable and in a quick enough fashion to match up with the timeline of the pitching?  And have we ever seen a GM have to accomplish this large of a task in recent memory, especially with positional prospects harder than ever to pry from other organizations?

• Like 3

If they can't get Crochet and Robert out the door with a reasonable return we are in massive trouble as a franchise.  For the it can't get worse crowd, we might lose more, but this bottom could last a few years without a huge talent infusion. 

• Thanks 1

At this point, older guys like me may never see a decent Sox team again in our lifetimes. Basically, Reinsdorf needs to be gone in some manner, a new regime has to enter and then that regime will need 5 years to build. We’re looking at a Pittsburgh-style bottom-scraping decade or more. Competing by 2027 is a dream. I think they’ll produce a bunch of pitchers to sell and keep the payroll low and sell a lot of Campfire milkshakes. This period is going to be the nadir of Sox franchise history. And there have already been some serious low points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

At this point, older guys like me may never see a decent Sox team again in our lifetimes. Basically, Reinsdorf needs to be gone in some manner, a new regime has to enter and then that regime will need 5 years to build. We’re looking at a Pittsburgh-style bottom-scraping decade or more. Competing by 2027 is a dream. I think they’ll produce a bunch of pitchers to sell and keep the payroll low and sell a lot of Campfire milkshakes. This period is going to be the nadir of Sox franchise history. And there have already been some serious low points.

I think it depends on what he can extract for Crochet, Robert, & Fedde.  I truly believe you need five good to great positional prospects to come back from those guys to have any hope.  I feel like the rotation should be in a pretty good spot by 2026 (health permitting) even with Crochet traded.  And I’m confident we can quickly build a bullpen with the pitching depth we have amassed and a little bit of spending.

But even with five positional additions (obviously not all of them will be hits), there is just so little to get excited about in the system.  I just don’t get what we’re doing on the player development side though.  When did this velocity issue first happen for Colson because he seemed to hit in AA and I feel like pure stuff is better in AA in AAA?  How did Ramos have a great partial season in AA last year only to fall off a cliff?  And Gonzalez at least had plus plate discipline in High A and now is just a bad all around hitter.  I get that development isn’t linear and there can be big ups & downs over the course a season, but some of these drop-offs are shocking.  I just wonder what we are actually doing to make these kids better.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The title says it all.  We have one of the worst offenses in modern baseball history and little to no pieces that will be part of the next good one outside of possibly Robert (if not traded), Baldwin, & Lee.  As such, Getz will almost have to build an entire lineup from scratch which will be no easy feat.

And to make matters that much harder, a ton of our top positional prospects have struggled this year in Colson (85 wRC+ in AAA), Ramos (66 wRC+ in AAA), & Gonzalez (77 wRC+ in AA).  The three more advanced OF prospects in our system in Colas (97 wRC+), Fletcher (89 wRC+), & DeLoach (93 wRC+) all look more like AAAA guys.  And there’s not a ton at the young levels to get excited about with Zavala hitting below .200 (despite an elite BB rate) and Burrowes mostly a disaster.  Wolkow is obviously highly intriguing but has a long ways to go with the K rate before he enters the long-term plan and Ronny Hernandez has been a pleasant surprise this year but is a 19 year old catcher in A ball.

As I‘ve stated before, I do have confidence in Bannister and the pitching side of things, but the outlook for the offense is beyond a bit terrifying.  What should the plan be there?  How do we go about building something capable and in a quick enough fashion to match up with the timeline of the pitching?  And have we ever seen a GM have to accomplish this large of a task in recent memory, especially with positional prospects harder than ever to pry from other organizations?

Sign premier free agents but we know that the wretched owner won’t do that, only hope is new ownership and damn soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it depends on what he can extract for Crochet, Robert, & Fedde.  I truly believe you need five good to great positional prospects to come back from those guys to have any hope.  I feel like the rotation should be in a pretty good spot by 2026 (health permitting) even with Crochet traded.  And I’m confident we can quickly build a bullpen with the pitching depth we have amassed and a little bit of spending.

But even with five positional additions (obviously not all of them will be hits), there is just so little to get excited about in the system.  I just don’t get what we’re doing on the player development side though.  When did this velocity issue first happen for Colson because he seemed to hit in AA and I feel like pure stuff is better in AA in AAA?  How did Ramos have a great partial season in AA last year only to fall off a cliff?  And Gonzalez at least had plus plate discipline in High A and now is just a bad all around hitter.  I get that development isn’t linear and there can be big ups & downs over the course a season, but some of these drop-offs are shocking.  I just wonder what we are actually doing to make these kids better.

Who would trade for Robert, he’s a quitter. I remember Ernie Banks in the 1950s  playing with pretty bad Cubs teams but he went out there and did his job every day hitting homers and driving in runs and won 2 MVP awards in 1958 and 1959. Banks had more class in his baby finger than Robert will ever have.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Who would trade for Robert, he’s a quitter. I remember Ernie Banks in the 1950s  playing with pretty bad Cubs teams but he went out there and did his job every day hitting homers and driving in runs and won 2 MVP awards in 1958 and 1959. Banks had more class in his baby finger than Robert will ever have.

Every team in baseball would want Robert, to answer your question. 

• Like 1

Can’t draft and develop them, the owner refuses to pay for them…

You would think the Sox would have prioritized trading for more position players rather than apparently waiting until right now.  But they had to prioritize trading for what Jerry refuses to pay for even more which is starting pitching.  Eventually they will have to spend money.

There is only one solution which others have already stated.  ☠️ 

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You forgot to add the MLB anti tanking draft rules and JRs focus on building a real estate empire around the UC and fund a new stadium complex in the South Loop that  may severely impact the amount of money JR is willing to let Getz spend again next year or for several years. There's also JRs dumping NBCSN for creating his new version of the failed Sportsvision from many years ago .

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 9:14 AM, southsider2k5 said:

If they can't get Crochet and Robert out the door with a reasonable return we are in massive trouble as a franchise.  For the it can't get worse crowd, we might lose more, but this bottom could last a few years without a huge talent infusion. 

We already are.