How the F are we ever going to build an offense?

1 minute ago, tray said:

Drafting ANY pitcher with the team's 1st round Draft pick when the team and our fans are desperate for hitting confounded me. When KC picked the hitter I was excited about the Sox getting on the very next pick, I threw my shoe at the TV monitor.

For those old enough, recall that the WSox acquired Fisk, Luzinski and LeFlore in the 1981 off-season. Veeck signed Kittle on the advice of White Sox legend Billy Pierce. Those were among the moves that turned the franchise around in '83. The only mistake was that they didn't continue spending money for star players ot make careful Draft choices and wise trades. The owner and management have to continue to get after it to maintain excellence in a very competitive league. JR has been asleep at the wheel, and Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams were just waiting to retire on their lucrative pensions and earnings.

Agreed on not drafting a bat with their first pick.  I think they were nervous about which bat to take so they went with what they feel confident in developing — a hard throwing lefty starter, especially with Crochet likely on his way out soon.

They keep delaying the inevitable of building pretty much an entire lineup outside of maybe Montgomery and Quero.  It’s difficult to see how they are going to fill seven other spots anytime soon.

9 hours ago, mac9001 said:

Generally speaking if you keep losing 100+ a year you'll be in a position to add top shelf talent at least once every two years. Give is a solid 4-5 years and things will work themselves out.

…and then you just have to develop them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tray said:

Drafting ANY pitcher with the team's 1st round Draft pick when the team and our fans are desperate for hitting confounded me. When KC picked the hitter I wanted on the very next pick, I threw my shoe at the TV monitor.

For those old enough, recall that the WSox acquired Fisk, Luzinski and LeFlore in the 1981 off-season. Veeck signed Kittle on the advice of White Sox legend Billy Pierce. Those were among the moves that turned the franchise around in '83. The only mistake was that they didn't continue spending money for star players or make careful Draft choices and wise trades. The owner and management have to continue to get after it every year in order to maintain excellence. JR has been asleep at the wheel, and Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams were just waiting to retire on their lucrative pensions and earnings.

All of the bats had flaws which the Sox struggle to fix.  While we need bats, I am OK with making sure we get a player we know we can develop because you cannot miss on this pick.

The Sox need to start doing a better job scouting/developing hitters. Their recent 1st round bats are: Brian Anderson, Josh Fields, Gordon Beckham, Jared Mitchell, Josh Phegley, Keenyn Walker, Courtney Hawkins, Keon Barnum, Tim Anderson, Zack Collins, Jake Burger, Nick Madrigal, Andrew Vaughn, Colson Montgomery, and Jacob Gonzalez. Other than Anderson, the non-prospects are all busts. There’s hope for Colson, but that is not trending well. Gonzalez is not looking good at all 1 year into his career. They have fared somewhat better with pitchers. Sale, Crochet, Rodon, and Schultz are all good. Hopefully Smith makes it 5.

9 hours ago, Timmy U said:

The Sox need to start doing a better job scouting/developing hitters. Their recent 1st round bats are: Brian Anderson, Josh Fields, Gordon Beckham, Jared Mitchell, Josh Phegley, Keenyn Walker, Courtney Hawkins, Keon Barnum, Tim Anderson, Zack Collins, Jake Burger, Nick Madrigal, Andrew Vaughn, Colson Montgomery, and Jacob Gonzalez. Other than Anderson, the non-prospects are all busts. There’s hope for Colson, but that is not trending well. Gonzalez is not looking good at all 1 year into his career. They have fared somewhat better with pitchers. Sale, Crochet, Rodon, and Schultz are all good. Hopefully Smith makes it 5.

You must be at least my age (40) if you consider Brian Anderson to be “recent.”

…but yes - this team sucks at player development

I don’t know what you guys are talking about. This offense is STACKED!

Robert, Eloy, BENINTENDI! If Vargas hits, and Colson returns to form, we can win at least 52 games next year. 

EDIT: Forgot about Vaughn. We basically have our entire future lineup figured out. 

Edited by SoxBlanco

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So is this core lineup next year?

• 1B: Vaughn
  • 2B: Sosa
  • SS: Baldwin*
  • 3B: Vargas
  • LF: Benintendi*
  • CF: Robert
  • RF: Fletcher*
  • DH: Sheets*
  • CA: Quero#

Robert will be traded

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Move on from Vaughn and sign someone else to a 1-year deal. A left-handed hitter preferably. Tired of him. Or Sheets I guess but don’t keep both.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Move on from Vaughn and sign someone else to a 1-year deal. A left-handed hitter preferably. Tired of him. Or Sheets I guess but don’t keep both.

It’s very, very possible that Vaughn is the guy they market as their best player this offseason

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nah, we are going to sign more Maldonados and Lil Nickys to block the guys Getz doesn't like. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Vaughn and Sheets should both be gone.  At this point they are zero dimensional players as they have proven they can’t hit major league pitching.  The easiest path to improving the lineup is having actual hitters at 1B / DH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Vaughn and Sheets should both be gone.  At this point they are zero dimensional players as they have proven they can’t hit major league pitching.  The easiest path to improving the lineup is having actual hitters at 1B / DH.

Sheets was sticking up for Grifol.  He’s a company man, he’s going nowhere.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sheets was sticking up for Grifol.  He’s a company man, he’s going nowhere.

Probably part of the reason he still gets playing time, but Sheets is no longer hitting RHP…he’s not even a platoon bat at this point.  Him and Vaughn at -0.8 and -0.6 fWAR and still out there most days should be a fireable offense for Getz.  How is there not some AAAA bat you could roll the dice instead?  f***, I’d rather see Mark Payton’s 32 year old ass out there.  I just don’t even get the strategy of wasting endless playing time on two dudes who have proven they aren’t major leaguers.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I can’t wait for the Q&A at Sox Fest for Getz to have to actually explain what his fucking plan is.

I doubt it even gets to that.  My guess is that they will cancel SoxFest due to some bogus excuse to avoid facing the music.

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I doubt it even gets to that.  My guess is that they will cancel SoxFest due to some bogus excuse to avoid facing the music.

They probably failed to secure a venue. They will blame it on the guy who messed up the clinic they no showed last week.

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I think they already have a space booked…doubt they can cancel at this point.  That being said, perhaps they avoid doing any Q&A which would be a first.