AJ could be a candidate to manage Sox

23 minutes ago, Highland said:

Outspoken AJ Is the type of the guy the Sox wouldn't hire. That is one reason they should hire him.Do something different for a change.

It’s hardly different. AJ has zero professional coaching experience.  If they wanted different they would hire someone who actually has done the job before who isn’t a washed up drunk. AJ would be another in the long line of un/under qualified hires by this org. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I’m more shocked AJ would consider the job with how bad they’re going to be

Ego? Sox fans still adore him, and it’s not like any other org is knocking on the door offering high profile jobs to the woefully unqualified. 

Just now, Tnetennba said:

It’s hardly different. AJ has zero professional coaching experience.  If they wanted different they would hire someone who actually has done the job before who isn’t a washed up drunk. AJ would be another in the long line of un/under qualified hires by this org. 

Not working so bad for the Twins and Cleveland right now (not saying that means this will work). Has a better shot at working than Ventura, though. Since I assume AJ wouldn't need to be talked into the job.

1 minute ago, PaleAleSox said:

Not working so bad for the Twins and Cleveland right now (not saying that means this will work). Has a better shot at working than Ventura, though. Since I assume AJ wouldn't need to be talked into the job.

But does he have the leadership traits of a 5 star general like Robin had?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, PaleAleSox said:

I do believe both of those guys were coaches on MLB staffs before being hired. Both of those orgs also aren’t toxic cesspools insistent on doing everything wrong and expecting it to work. 

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m more shocked AJ would consider the job with how bad they’re going to be

I just don’t see him taking it. He wouldn’t make a lot of money. He makes decent money with a cushy job with Fox and his podcast. Can watch his son play. He knows the White Sox are doomed for a while. He knows when it comes time, JR shuts his wallet. OTOH, it wouldn’t take much to show a little progress.

• Paper Bag 1

16 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Craig Counsell, Aaron Boone, Alex Cora, Dave Roberts, Skip Schumacher, Mark Kotsay etc.   If you played a long time and are smart you don't need experience to be a good major legue manager.

I’m too lazy to look up every name, but I’m pretty sure all of those names worked on coaching staffs at the MLB level before being hired. AJ hasn’t. Look at the orgs those guys work for as well. Outside of Kotsay and Shoemaker (post Kim Ng) those orgs set those guys up to success. That’s not happening here. AJ might make a great manager, but the deck is stacked against him succeeding here. AJP isn’t going to magically fix things. 

Edited by Tnetennba

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Seriously.  I thought we fire Rick and Kenny?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He will lose the team in like 15 minutes 

That says more about the players than anything. This roster is going to turn over so much between today and next April I’m not too concerned about that tbh. 

That said, AJ would probably be towards the bottom of my top 10 (realistic) candidates. But when you drive a 95 Ford Aspire, a 2010 Camry is a hell of an improvement. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Seriously.  I thought we fire Rick and Kenny?

Bob floating the idea of AJ likely means there have been internal discussions, if not in person meetings. AJ's history with and connection to the org make him no different than the long line of lazy hires from the pool of familiar former Sox IMO. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I just don’t see this happening with the way AJ has called out the Sox organization over the past year or so.

Unless JR is trying to silence one of his biggest critics on the national stage. Which feels very tinfoil hat to say, but nothing would surprise me with JR at this point.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Unless JR is trying to silence one of his biggest critics on the national stage. Which feels very tinfoil hat to say, but nothing would surprise me with JR at this point.

JR likes control and “yes” men.  Unless AJ would fall in line with the rest of him for a managerial contract, I am having a hard time believing this news, even though it seems to be coming from JR’s mouthpiece Bob Nightengale.