AJ could be a candidate to manage Sox

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

JR likes control and “yes” men.  Unless AJ would fall in line with the rest of him for a managerial contract, I am having a hard time believing this news, even though it seems to be coming from JR’s mouthpiece Bob Nightengale.

The delusion of an aged billionaire thinking he can control AJ by giving him what he wants? IDK. Coming from Bob is what has me believing it could happen despite all of the rational reasons why AJ wouldn't be a candidate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He didn't bad mouth the team, he said what everyone was thinking and JR (or whoever, but it was probably him) didn't like it so they stripped him of his ambassador status. I wonder if enough time has passed and now that the truth about this team has been revealed, that JR now agrees with him. Who knows lol. But at least AJ knows what it takes to run a winning team, as evidenced in his podcasts. He'll probably talk about this on foul territory. He'll be much better than what we've had recently. We need a coach that lights a fire under these guys' asses. Also, I don't really think managerial experience matters as much as playing experience, and yes being a catcher is a huge plus. Look at Steven Vogt for Cleveland. First time manager, ex-catcher managing a Cleveland team that was not expected to do what it's been doing. What do the Sox have to lose? Yeah AJ was a former Sox player so he fits that mold, but he has shown that he also thinks very similarly to a lot of respectable people in the baseball world in how to run an effective team.

Edited by ScootsMcGoots
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

He didn't bad mouth the team, he said what everyone was thinking and JR (or whoever, but it was probably him) didn't like it so they stripped him of his ambassador status.

To some, that is the same thing.

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

To some, that is the same thing.

JR prefers to ignore reality.  He thought this team needed a few tweaks to be a contender again.  He also thinks once we have a lineup of nine David Ecksteins, we will be cooking with fire.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Well they always say catchers make the best managers. Alot of the greatest managers ever were former catchers. 

And the Sox had 2 of them with Al Lopez and Paul Richard’s, might as well add Jeff Torberg but he wasn’t here that long. I’ve wanted  AJ for years.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

The delusion of an aged billionaire thinking he can control AJ by giving him what he wants? IDK. Coming from Bob is what has me believing it could happen despite all of the rational reasons why AJ wouldn't be a candidate.

AJP could be a Billy Martin. Win games and pis people off. 

I think people forget how unlikeable AJ was. His ex teammates still talk about how they didn’t like him. Ozzie said it best: “Everybody hates AJ we just hate him a little less”. Young players wouldn’t want to play for him. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I think people forget how unlikeable AJ was. His ex teammates still talk about how they didn’t like him. Ozzie said it best: “Everybody hates AJ we just hate him a little less”. Young players wouldn’t want to play for him. 

AJ did have a reputation, but he was a smart player. Ozzie isn't exactly charming.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Jon Garland hated his guts. But he wouldn't trade that ring A.J. helped him win for anything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Jon Garland hated his guts. But he wouldn't trade that ring A.J. helped him win for anything. 

Not doubting you but what was the story behind this?  I don’t remember Garland hating AJ.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I’d try to get Grandal as coach if he hangs it up this year. Team played a lot harder when he was here, and he largely dragged them to the playoffs. He’s smart and been around a while. 

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

God we cannot shake Chicago meatball fandom here.  Ozzie Guillen coached and learned how to be a manager.   Yes he was a smart player however he also did on the job training where he learned his craft by paying his dues and learning.   Robin Ventura, a favorite of mine, didnt.  He was lost.  He was overwhelmed.  The idea we can just take a fan favorite player and just sprinkle some vet coaches around him and poof it works is dumb.  And conflating other catchers who have moved onto coaching is silly at best.  Its not apples to apples.  Just because you have a smart catcher doesn't make him a great coach.  Players sometimes dont make the best managers. Even catchers.  Taking a players passion or their personality as a competitor doesn't exactly translate to being a manager.  Its not the same.   Jerry is trying to feed you member-berries and hope that fan nostalgia will overwhelm your common sense.   I want someone who knows how to build a program, build players and take us to winning ways.  Knows how to develop from the ground up.  Knows how to hire competant teachers that can build a single vision of how to play hard, smart baseball. Not just a recognizable player from your 2005 world series collector dvd because you remember the glory days.  There are parts of this AJ play that will resonate with the fandom.  They will eat this up.  Then in a few year the same fans will want him fired and will hate him.  

We deserve better.  Not tricks and gags to fool the fans.  Hire a real manager.  We were robbed of that by this owner when he decided to hire his buddy.  Lets not let him off the hook with another silly move.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

That says more about the players than anything. This roster is going to turn over so much between today and next April I’m not too concerned about that tbh. 

That said, AJ would probably be towards the bottom of my top 10 (realistic) candidates. But when you drive a 95 Ford Aspire, a 2010 Camry is a hell of an improvement. 

Eh, it isn't the 1950's anymore.  That kind of coaching really isn't a thing in this century.

3 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

He didn't bad mouth the team, he said what everyone was thinking and JR (or whoever, but it was probably him) didn't like it so they stripped him of his ambassador status. I wonder if enough time has passed and now that the truth about this team has been revealed, that JR now agrees with him. Who knows lol. But at least AJ knows what it takes to run a winning team, as evidenced in his podcasts. He'll probably talk about this on foul territory. He'll be much better than what we've had recently. We need a coach that lights a fire under these guys' asses. Also, I don't really think managerial experience matters as much as playing experience, and yes being a catcher is a huge plus. Look at Steven Vogt for Cleveland. First time manager, ex-catcher managing a Cleveland team that was not expected to do what it's been doing. What do the Sox have to lose? Yeah AJ was a former Sox player so he fits that mold, but he has shown that he also thinks very similarly to a lot of respectable people in the baseball world in how to run an effective team.

Whatever he said, he got fired for it.

7 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

And the Sox had 2 of them with Al Lopez and Paul Richard’s, might as well add Jeff Torberg but he wasn’t here that long. I’ve wanted  AJ for years.

Don’t forget, Terry Bevington was a catcher, too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Unless his personality has changed since his playing days, which is possible,  he doesn't have the interpersonal skills to be a successful manager.

See Bill Belichick. 

16 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Pedro gets canned, would an interim manager finish out the year? Or would we look to bring in someone new immediately?

Would any interim manager want to be associated with this disaster of a season?

5 hours ago, Rocky said:

See Bill Belichick. 

lol what?  Bill has nothing to do with this, not the same sport not the same situation not the same personality.  Literally nothing here says “see: Bill Belicheck”