AJ could be a candidate to manage Sox

16 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

And the Sox had 2 of them with Al Lopez and Paul Richard’s, might as well add Jeff Torberg but he wasn’t here that long. I’ve wanted  AJ for years.

Lopez is HoF and Richard's should be in the HoF, both excellent baseball minds.

I am curious if Getz want's AJ or is it Jerry's idea. 

15 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Lopez is HoF and Richard's should be in the HoF, both excellent baseball minds.

I am curious if Getz want's AJ or is it Jerry's idea. 

Seems like this is a bunk rumor with AJ responding with a “Nope” and tweeting jokes about it.

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Seems like this is a bunk rumor with AJ responding with a “Nope” and tweeting jokes about it.

I really can't see him ever managing. He is right where he should be for a career. His knowledge and grasp of the game makes that role perfect for him. 

15 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

JR should start doing the exact opposite of what he thinks is a good idea for the White Sox.

He will just continue to do his norm, which is “everything but the right thing”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He will just continue to do his norm, which is “everything but the right thing”

He should start by giving a partial refund to any current season ticket that even sniffs about renewing for 2025.

Sox season ticket holders, near extinction, will be mentioned in the same articles for the Great Lakes Piping Plovers.

Edited by Falstaff

21 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

He should start by giving a partial refund to any current season ticket that even sniffs about renewing for 2025.

Sox season ticket holders, near extinction, will be mentioned in the same articles for the Great Lakes Piping Plovers.

LOL yes he should but, well, it’s JR

10 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Don’t forget, Terry Bevington was a catcher, too.

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

I almost lost my coffee laughing on that one.

Screenshot 2024-07-29 092907.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Would any interim manager want to be associated with this disaster of a season?

Hahaha no, probably not. Who would want the later half of this train wreck of a season on their managerial record? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rocky said:

See Bill Belichick. 

Since you mention him, it is probably a decent time to mention two things.

-His record without Tom Brady

-The game really seemed to pass him by in those last few years.

On 7/28/2024 at 8:24 AM, Tnetennba said:

Bob floating this gives me TLR flashbacks. JR just can’t get out of his own way. 

Given fact AJ had been pretty honest about the org (in a not so kind way)....while I get the initial taste of, no thanks, I kind of also think, hey, maybe this is the fresh restart they need. With that in mind - I loved the float of Francona out there - but maybe they can lure Francona in as someone who is part of the org.  

I'm an AJ fan - not sure if he would be a good manager or not, but he'll be different. I still prefer a full normal, you know, hiring search.  

• Like 2

On 7/28/2024 at 10:55 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Craig Counsell, Aaron Boone, Alex Cora, Dave Roberts, Skip Schumacher, Mark Kotsay etc.   If you played a long time and are smart you don't need experience to be a good major legue manager.

On 7/28/2024 at 11:10 AM, Tnetennba said:

I’m too lazy to look up every name, but I’m pretty sure all of those names worked on coaching staffs at the MLB level before being hired. AJ hasn’t. Look at the orgs those guys work for as well. Outside of Kotsay and Shoemaker (post Kim Ng) those orgs set those guys up to success. That’s not happening here. AJ might make a great manager, but the deck is stacked against him succeeding here. AJP isn’t going to magically fix things. 

Beat me to it. The only one that didn’t go almost immediately into a front office or coaching position was Boone.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

-He’s pulling some hot tail.

Three things.

On 7/29/2024 at 4:26 AM, Kyyle23 said:

lol what?  Bill has nothing to do with this, not the same sport not the same situation not the same personality.  Literally nothing here says “see: Bill Belicheck”

You brought up interpersonal skills as being important to be a successful manager. 

I countered with someone with horrible interpersonal skills that had plenty of success. 

Pretty simple. 

22 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Great points. 

Pretty hard for anyone to replace Tom Brady. I was simply pointing out that interpersonal skills does not preclude someone from being a successful manager.