Cubs Acquire Peredes

2Deep

4 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

If this was straight up, I like the deal for the Cubs. If it was even Morel and two lower level prospects, I still like it. Bigge and Morel? Nope. 

Why would it have ever been a straight up trade?  Paredes is much more valuable than Morel.  That’s why the Cubs had to include Bigge and the other prospect.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

29 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Their two trades seem like retooling for the next few years, not just for this season.

They acquired Pearson as a reclamation project that they may try to turn back into a starter.

They also needed a 3B because Morel can’t play defense.

I suppose that’s true. 

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Why would it have ever been a straight up trade?  Paredes is much more valuable than Morel.  That’s why the Cubs had to include Bigge and the other prospect.

Because Morel is more of a pull guy. They need more power in that lineup. More importantly, he gives them the flexibility to play in other spots and open a spot for their top prospect.

For Tampa, it may be as simple as they suck at DH and they have someone waiting in the wings who can play 3B.  Meanwhile, they pick up 2 power arms.

They probably could have gotten some good prospects from another team, but they don't want to rebuild, just retool. 
They know what they're doing.

Edited by GreenSox

7 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Because Morel is more of a pull guy. They need more power in that lineup. More importantly, he gives them the flexibility to play in other spots and open a spot for their top prospect.

Paredes has very similar power to Morel.  And flexibility to play multiple positions is not a plus when Morel sucks horribly at every position he plays.

Didn’t realize Paredes doesn’t hit UFA until 2028.  I like this deal knowing that.  No idea on the prospects they gave up but at face value seems like a good deal for the Cubs.

6 hours ago, Rusty said:

Sounds like the perfect White Sox player.  We could use another DH type.

I;m surprised they didn't try to trade with the Sox.  It wouldn't be the first guy the Cubs dumped on the Sox that can't catch a baseball.

This works out for the Cubs.

Rays dumping players like they are  27 win team.

Looks like a young power bat, something I the Sox desperately need. 

One of the better trades the Cubs ever made was for a 25-year-old 3rd baseman.  Aramis Ramirez from Pittsburgh for Bobby Hill, Ramirez was a stud and a Sox killer unfortunately.

Some Cubs fans and media are all sad that Morel was traded, but this is a good trade for the Cubs.  Morel is not hitting well this year, and despite being "one of the future Chicago stars" is not very good.  Peredes is controlled for four more seasons and is a better player.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Good trade for Cubs. Morel sucks.

Rays couldn't do better in this deal?

Tampa always seems to know when to get out though, so well see.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

Tampa always seems to know when to get out though, so well see.

True but even then, it doesn't seem like that big a risk with what they gave up. Morel, a 26-year old MiLB pitcher and a 15th round draft pick pitcher from last year.

Tampa may have been freeing up places for prospects. Caminero and Mead are both ready and both play 3b. I suppose Mead is serviceable at 2b. Move Morel to lf to replace Arozarena, Bob’s your uncle.