Would dumping Benintendi's $50 million remaining on LAD

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This rumor is out there, that's why.  No one is making it up or something. 

And I’m saying it’s a rumor created by white Sox fans who love to predict the sky is falling. What notable source has actually said the Sox are trying to attach Beni to Crochet? I’m sure it’s been discussed because I’m sure someone like LAD would love to do that, but that doesn’t mean the Sox are actually entertaining it. 

Edited by ChiSox59
Edit: not including maybe connected poster that isn’t actually connected but loves the attention of people thinking he is
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Those were good seasons, but were ultimately doomed by Jerry hiring his buddy as manager and refusing to go all out in free agency.  Ultimately, the failure can always be traced back to one guy.

So making the playoffs is a failure and qualifies for the worst owners in sports. Is winning the world series the only success? Then 90% of the owners in the league qualify as the worst owners in sports.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

So making the playoffs is a failure and qualifies for the worst owners in sports. Is winning the world series the only success? Then 90% of the owners in the league qualify as the worst owners in sports.

This has been discussed over and over.  The rebuild failed when Jerry hired TLR and refused to spend on top free agents.  If the Hahn and Kenny regime was so successful over the years, they wouldn’t have been fired and still be without MLB jobs right now.  That tells it all.

But I don’t really want to rehash the failure of the prior rebuild in a thread about Benintendi’s contract so this will be my last post on the topic.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

How about putting up the worst season in the 124 season history of your sport by accident?  Does that qualify?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

And I’m saying it’s a rumor created by white Sox fans who love to predict the sky is falling. What notable source has actually said the Sox are trying to attach Beni to Crochet? I’m sure it’s been discussed because I’m sure someone like LAD would love to do that, but that doesn’t mean the Sox are actually entertaining it. 

The fact that no one in the obedient Chicago media is reporting this means nothing.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This has been discussed over and over.  The rebuild failed when Jerry hired TLR and refused to spend on top free agents.  If the Hahn and Kenny regime was so successful over the years, they wouldn’t have been fired and still be without MLB jobs right now.  That tells it all.

But I don’t really want to rehash the failure of the prior rebuild in a thread about Benintendi’s contract so this will be my last post on the topic.

That's not the topic. The topic was expecting doom because JR is the worst owners in sports. I disagree he is the worst in sports.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How about putting up the worst season in the 124 season history of your sport by accident?  Does that qualify?

As the worst owners in sports? I don't think so. He sunk a good amount of payroll for Hahn to give early big contracts to Eloy, Moncada and Robert as well as benentendi. That sunk the rebuild and lead to this.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

As the worst owners in sports? I don't think so. He sunk a good amount of payroll for Hahn to give early big contracts to Eloy, Moncada and Robert as well as benentendi. That sunk the rebuild and lead to this.

Who he hired, and continue to let run his franchise well after any other owner would have fired him for lack of performance. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A maybe connected poster has been saying it for months.

Maybe he can send along a message from Soxtalk....HARD PASS

39 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yes, base all if your views in a single season. Go back 2 years and they made the playoffs 2 years in a row. They must be one if the best run teams in the league.

Everyone knew this was going to be an awful season with the new FO taking over and the core of the team being what it was.

If you expected different, I don't know what to tell you.

So we shouldn't base our views off of one season, but your argument is to base them on....two seasons? lol 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ptatc said:

How about the least playoff appearances for any of the Original franchises?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I agree with you, but Jerry is still gonna Jerry.  When you have the worst owner in sports, expecting doom and gloom is the status quo.

When it’s obvious that winning isn’t the priority, the asinine and the absurd don’t seem so far fetched. 

I don't believe the Dodgers are in any position to add $50 mil to their luxury tax obligations. I can imagine JR doing something like this, but I'm no gonna waste time and mental energy on something that I believe is impossible. If that changes, I'll work out my feelings then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

So we shouldn't base our views off of one season, but your argument is to base them on....two seasons? lol 

Not to mention there is a large difference between awful and literally the worst ever, especially if you weren't actually trying to be bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fair, I did say worst owner in “sports”.  I wonder if @ptatc would agree with worst owner in “baseball”?

If the Sox set the record for worst record in a 162 game season this year, I think we will have our official answer.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would say that JR is the most successful sox owner when it comes to that. Overall his teams and history is nowhere near as bad as teams the orioles who had multiple 100 loss teams or the Cleveland browns or vikings who have won nothing in the modern era. JRs probably aren't as bad as the Bears reams of the modern era.

Edited by ptatc

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

"Says Who?"

jerry.jpg

Look if we had $150 million in payroll and freeing up that money meant adding a player to a playoff contender, sure, it makes sense.  But for a dumpster fire with no payroll to speak of?  It is negligence. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

To be fair, I did say worst owner in “sports”.  I wonder if @ptatc would agree with worst owner in “baseball”?

If the Sox set the record for worst record in a 162 game season this year, I think we will have our official answer.

I don't know. The orioles had how many 100 loss teams in a row? Seattle has never won the world series.

I'm not necessarily a fan of JR but he is not the worst. Again I don't think the single worst season makes him the worst owner. Over time he's probably average to below average.

Edited by ptatc

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I don't believe the Dodgers are in any position to add $50 mil to their luxury tax obligations. I can imagine JR doing something like this, but I'm no gonna waste time and mental energy on something that I believe is impossible. If that changes, I'll work out my feelings then.

Will convnce Beni to defer current $$$ into future for 15-25% added to deal. 

Just now, ptatc said:

I don't know. The orioles had how many 100 loss teams in a row? Seattle has never won the world series.

I'm not necessarily a fan of JR but he is not the worst.

He might not have been the worst, but he’s seemingly become more stubborn and is a detriment now.  No other team would have hired Tony or Getz.  I guarantee no other team would have let Pedro manage this long.