Would dumping Benintendi's $50 million remaining on LAD

1 minute ago, fathom said:

He might not have been the worst, but he’s seemingly become more stubborn and is a detriment now.  No other team would have hired Tony or Getz.  I guarantee no other team would have let Pedro manage this long.

I don't disagree. I wouldn't call him good but his teams overall have a better history than some.

The hyperbole of he is the worst and nothing will ever go right just gets tiresome as it just isn't true.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Will convnce Beni to defer current $$$ into future for 15-25% added to deal. 

They're in the 110% bracket. $50 mil is $105 mil to them. That's a lot of deferrals. (Also, to make it work, they'd have to add years to the contract. Would be beyond tricky.)

• Like 1

What would that accomplish? The payroll is going to be low enough as it is next year. This team has one for sure major league hitter going forward. One. Are we going to give away our best trade chit?  

yes, he clogged others’ development. I’m tired of looking at him.  Just DFA him.

or just let him sit on the bench and play solitaire. 

Pedro doesn’t use his bullpen like a competent manager anyway, so they don’t need 13 pitchers. 

Edited by GreenSox

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't disagree. I wouldn't call him good but his teams overall have a better history than some.

The hyperbole of he is the worst and nothing will ever go right just gets tiresome as it just isn't true.

I think you are underestimating the delicacy of the situation.  We are few bad moves away from a decade of futility.  Hiring an unqualified GM from what is one of the most insular orgs in all of baseball doesn’t inspire much confidence either.  Why should Sox fans be optimistic at the moment exactly?

And just because Jerry may have not been the worst owner in the past, doesn’t mean he isn’t the worst right now as a stubborn 80 year old who is willing to undermine the authority of his key decision makers to do things his way.  Our org is becoming more & more outdated by the day because our dinosaur of an owner refuses to evolve to the modern game.  We are literally handicapped in a way few other teams are and him willing to spend like an upper middle market team doesn’t change that fact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think you are underestimating the delicacy of the situation.  We are few bad moves away from a decade of futility.  Hiring an unqualified GM from what is one of the most insular orgs in all of baseball doesn’t inspire much confidence either.  Why should Sox fans be optimistic at the moment exactly?

And just because Jerry may have not been the worst owner in the past, doesn’t mean he isn’t the worst right now as a stubborn 80 year old who is willing to undermine the authority of his key decision makers to do things his way.  Our org is becoming more & more outdated by the day because our dinosaur of an owner refuses to evolve to the modern game.  We are literally handicapped in a way few other teams are and him willing to spend like an upper middle market team doesn’t change that fact.

That's fine. I just disagree and am willing to give the new group a chance before everything is condemned. 

2 hours ago, Tony said:

So we shouldn't base our views off of one season, but your argument is to base them on....two seasons? lol 

And keep in mind one of those two seasons was only 60 games long playing nothing but bad Central Division clubs, saw the Sox choke and collapse the last 10 days to throw away a #1 seed and have to open the playoffs on the road. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

And keep in mind one of those two seasons was only 60 games long playing nothing but bad Central Division clubs, saw the Sox choke and collapse the last 10 days to throw away a #1 seed and have to open the playoffs on the road. 

And they were also down to 3 starters by the playoff series against Oakland — Giolito, Keuchel, and Dunning.  Hard to believe they would’ve made the playoffs if it was a full 162 game season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

Everyone knew this was going to be an awful season ... If you expected different, I don't know what to tell you.

Fair enuf, but being this bad is really historic. Many of us on here expected about 40-45 wins cause we knew any team with DeBong and Nicky as our ss/2b combo was gonna be historically bad. Any team relying on Eloy, Robert, Vaughn and Sheets also was in historically bad category. Finally thinking Maldy could be on more than a 45-win team, no way

So you are right. We knew but some Soxtalkers saw a scenario with way more than 40-45 wins.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And they were also down to 3 starters by the playoff series against Oakland — Giolito, Keuchel, and Dunning.  Hard to believe they would’ve made the playoffs if it was a full 162 game season.

Couldnt trust Cease back then. 

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Fair enuf, but being this bad is really historic. Many of us on here expected about 40-45 wins cause we knew any team with DeBong and Nicky as our ss/2b combo was gonna be historically bad. Any team relying on Eloy, Robert, Vaughn and Sheets also was in historically bad category. Finally thinking Maldy could be on more than a 45-win team, no way

So you are right. We knew but some Soxtalkers saw a scenario with way more than 40-45 wins.

Moncada?  Jimenez?  Benintendi?  Fletcher?  And Lee looked totally hopeless last year. 

9 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I don't believe the Dodgers are in any position to add $50 mil to their luxury tax obligations. I can imagine JR doing something like this, but I'm no gonna waste time and mental energy on something that I believe is impossible. If that changes, I'll work out my feelings then.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the whole $50M

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

JR of today and the last few years is a JR preparing his money and legacy to live on through his heirs by investing in the area around the UC partnering with the Wirtz family.

The JR of today has flat out said the Sox cannot compete at their current location because the area around it is not the sorts mega complex luxury mall , urban paradise needed to do that.

The Sox will be sold by his heirs . The Bulls will be kept and all three will be on his new network deal if he can manage to get that off the ground.

The Sox are now only worth minimal attention and investment and the bare minimum to keep Manfred off his ass. The rest of baseball smells blood in the water and are treating Getz accordingly.

The only thing keeping the Sox from getting terrible offers on Fedde is competition from other teams but even then Baltimore took Eflin who had bigger money owed to him ($18M in 2025) and dealt with a division rival over Fedde and the White Sox.  They traded with the contending Phillies by trading Hays to fill their Relief pitching (Seranthony Dominguez) and Defensive OF / PR role with Pache while counting on Cowser/ Kjerstad/Pache to replace Hays and the slumping Mullins .

It's possible the Orioles and Phillies could face each other in the World Series while helping each other get there .

All the Orioles trade pieces to the Rays for Eflin were all from the 2023 draft. So they took on the higher money owed Eflin ($18M in 2025) rather than give up the higher headlining prospect for Fedde. They also risked those 3 players contributing to TB teams that are possibly better than future Orioles teams.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside