Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

12 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

Getz couldn't get a single top 100 for 1.5 years of the 20th best SP. ??? How does that even happen?

Reinsdorf saves $10M either way but how did no other team beat this?

I hope the other offers leak soon

Didn’t the Sox get a top 40 prospect, who graduated and isn’t on lists anymore?

3 minutes ago, T R U said:

Dodgers traded Vargas/Prospect(s) for Edman and then traded Vargas/Prospect(s) for Kopech.

Then St. Louis traded Vargas/Prospect(s) for Fedde and Pham.

I'm not following. 

Dodgers traded Vargas and two single A prospects for Erick Fedde, Tommy Pham, and Kopech (Bad for Sox!)

Dodgers traded Fedde and Pham for Edman (Bad for Dodgers!). 

• Like 1

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Agreed. I’d be pretty happy with that trade. 

So the disgust with this trade is Fedde for a top 30-40ish prospect from last year. That seems like it’s light a prospect, but when you combine it with the good return for Kopech and Pham, it’s not as crazy as many are saying. 

I’d say overall, it’s a slightly underwhelming return, but not a disaster. But what I can’t figure out is how the Cards managed to get Fedde and Pham for Edman. That’s the bigger head scratcher, not the return that the Sox got. 

If we traded Fedde to the Dodgers for Vargas and those two prospects, I would be pretty underwhelmed. Not as shocked as I am at the actual trade, but pretty disappointed none the less.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Foot-long Comiskey dog is spinning it nice on Twitter.

And Chuck is showing minor-league highlights

Chuck thought ex-Dodger Yasiel Puig would be a good acquisition for the Sox this past offseason.  Sadly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he could still outhit Miguel Vargas.

• Haha 2

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

I'm not following. 

Dodgers traded Vargas and two single A prospects for Erick Fedde, Tommy Pham, and Kopech (Bad for Sox!)

Dodgers traded Fedde and Pham for Edman (Bad for Dodgers!). 

I don't see it as the Dodgers ever trading for Fedde. They traded with St. Louis to give them the assets required to get Fedde from the White Sox. They also traded for Kopech.

Seems to me the only reason the Dodgers were involved was to help St. Louis with salary relief by taking Edman and helping them get the ammo for Fedde/Pham.

11 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Foot-long Comiskey dog is spinning it nice on Twitter.

And Chuck is showing minor-league highlights

Him and notcease are some of the most delusional fans around. In their discord, and they're talking about how good of a trade it was and how much better this rebuild will be than the last one. Footlong went as far as to say a few weeks ago that the floor of the team next year is 82 wins. Young punks

3 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

The White Sox gave up nothing and got nothing in return.

Yeah, this isn’t true even if you hate Kopech and realize Pham is just a fourth outfielder.  I thought the Fedde signing would be a bust but it wasn’t.  It was one of the very few good acquisitions Getz made this past offseason.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Exactly. He has been improving his numbers in AAA each year. If people want to compare to sosa and how they are the same, Sosa's offensive profile finally started to show on this team after he finally could keep his iso alongside improving walk rate in AAA.

Michael Busch was also a good offensive player who struggled in his taste of the dodgers but kept mashing in PCL and lo and behold is a pretty strong offensive player.

And vargas can be better defensively than busch could. 

Dodgers don't really have the ability to afford to be patient with prospects. They either hit the ground running or are replaced and held down to season or shipped off. 

But biggest sign Vargas isn't good is that dodgers traded him. But yes I am concerned his bat speed and exit velocity may not be improving since he's now 2 years from when he was 2 years from when the strength was supposed to come.

Easy enough to agree that Vargas doesn't have a ton of upside, which makes it easier for a team like the Dodgers to trade him rather than continue playing him out of position in hopes that he realizes his potential as "solid major leaguer." The Sox, on the other hand, are in a situation in which they need to gather as many "solid major leaguer" guys as possible and it's worth it to let a guy play in hopes of realizing that kind of potential. And the total value over the next 5ish years of a decent MLB player is pretty meaningful, if he can manage it. And the downside for the Sox is nothing besides the unlikely hypothetical that Erick Fedde could have landed you a superstar instead.

As far as Sosa is concerned, I don't think he's shown as much with the bat as Vargas but I also think it's probably foolish to give up on him too. I have been a little concerned about his attitude/mental approach but it's hard to read those things at distance.

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He was at the beginning of 2023. That's a long time ago. That's like calling Colas a top prospect still.

If I just found out we traded Colas for Vargas, I’d be very happy with that. Even though both have faded, I think Vargas has always been more highly regarded, and he’s having a much better year than Colas in 2024. 

I understand your point in that prospects can fade, but Vargas can still be a very good player. 

• TLR 1

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

If I just found out we traded Colas for Vargas, I’d be very happy with that. Even though both have faded, I think Vargas has always been more highly regarded, and he’s having a much better year than Colas in 2024. 

I understand your point in that prospects can fade, but Vargas can still be a very good player. 

He's coming to the White Sox. His ship has sailed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think 80% of people would agree that's a change of scenery trade.