Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

5 minutes ago, Jake said:

I remarked to a friend the other day that the only person who I am fairly confident knows what they are doing is Brian Bannister — the problem is if I know that, surely everyone in baseball knows that Bannister is good too. So what are the chances he gets poached? At this point, I have to think even a lateral move would be tempting to him but maybe the Sox are offering something to him that he wouldn't get elsewhere.

Yea. I kind of assume Bannister won't be here for long.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And let FOUR Padres' execs and scouts come in and steal Tatis right out from under their noses a practice field or two over lol. 

Our scouting department is almost totally non existent at this point. 

We could probably do a better job… which is to say, anyone could do a better job. ?

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I still can’t believe Fedde for Edman was a one for one swap.  I would have told the Cardinals and the Dodgers to go shove and traded Fedde for the best prospect return from another interested team.  He then included Kopech and Pham and still got back a mediocre return.  I don’t care about Pham because he wasn’t worth much but Fedde and Kopech should have been traded separately to maximize the prospect return.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

More confusion. According to the Cardinals GM, the original trade was going to be Fedde for Edman, straight up. Said it was agreed upon but then LA got involved.

What??? 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

More confusion. According to the Cardinals GM, the original trade was going to be Fedde for Edman, straight up. Said it was agreed upon but then LA got involved.

What in the actual f***?  Did Chris forgot which team he was the GM for?

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why?

Lmao

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Chris Getz' tombstone will say "I lost 125 games in a year, but at least I didn't trade Tatis Jr"

Getz: "Can't pull off a worse trade than Tatis if you keep the system stocked with middling prospects incapable of becoming stars."

image.png

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you want you view this trade as a positive, you can cling to a couple of things.  Vargas has hit incredibly in AAA this year and when using a 190 PA threshold, he’s ranked first in wRC+ at 149, third in BB % at 19.9%, & 4th in ISO at .276 all while sporting a BABIP below his career norms.  Obviously these figures are inflated due to playing in the PCL, but so are everyone else’s and their AAA stadium actually has pretty average park factors.

The other two kids we received may not have plus tools, but they both have advanced plate discipline at their age and that’s something we have struggled developing.  Perez is sporting a .380 OBP and 119 wRC+ in Low A as a 19 year old and Albertus destroyed complex ball with a .479 OBP and 151 wRC+ before being promoted to Low A (he is also 19).  While I always prefer prospects who have at least one non-arm carrying tool, guys with average tools that illustrate strong discipline early on oftentimes are underrated in these rankings.

But to be clear, I hate this trade and the last remaining hope I had for Chris Getz all but died today.

Probably the best post in this thread right here.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jake said:

Frazier/Kahnle/Robertson trade as worst in Sox history??? The trade was by no means good, seeing as the Sox netted zero value out of it. But Kahnle accumulated 1.7 WAR/>4.00 ERA in 110ish innings before reaching free agency after the deal. Frazier was playing just okay on an expiring deal. Robo pitched well before reaching free agency but was on a market value deal, thus making it hard to get any surplus trade value out of him. There was just not much downside risk for the Sox in that trade because of the positions of the players they traded and their contract situations.

Semien, Bassitt, and Phegley for Samardzija is SO MUCH worse it's not even funny, and I haven't even brought the Tatis situation into play yet since at least the Sox can say that nobody thought Tatis was going to be that good back then.

Worst at the time, yes. Obviously there have been far worse trades with retrospect.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is just gross negligence. What the f*** this fucking dipshit is going to set this franchise back a decade. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The only way this makes sense is if Getz thought Edman would bring a better return of prospects than Fedde, and that wouldn’t make sense to me either.

• Like 3

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

I still can’t believe Fedde for Edman was a one for one swap.  I would have told the Cardinals and the Dodgers to go shove and traded Fedde for the best prospect return from another interested team.

If true, the trade basically works out like this:

• Fedde & Pham for Vargas (bad)
  • Kopech for Albertus & Perez (ok)

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why?

Right! What in the ever living f***???

18 minutes ago, Jake said:

One thing's for sure, the best way to truly show your ass as a GM is to go into buyer mode

Or give away MLB players for nothing. Anyone that believes Getz has the least bit of front office ability is to put mildly is wrong.

Only way this makes sense is for StL to offer comp pick or PTBNL to be wearherholt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

FWIW, a different guy on the Cards beat says basically the opposite:

That makes more sense. Cant wait to hear what the other offers from different teams were if they ( hopefully ) leak. ???‍♂️

So so bad!!!