Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

34 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kopech should have had a lot more value than this though, compared to what other relievers have gotten.

I think that is my thing - if Kopech didn't have much value, there wasn't much reason not to hold onto him and keep working on him and give it a final shot next year at the deadline or in the off-season (if he finished the year strong).  

• Like 1

I've been worried that Kopech might degenerate into full-blown yips at any time so I'm sympathetic to the view that maybe you should just offload him. Of course in this deal I have no clue how much, if anything, he got added to the return for the Sox.

For the analytically inclined, Edman's 15.9 career WAR would slot him into a tie for 38th among position players in White Sox history, tied with Carlos Lee, just short of the immortal Zeke Bonura, and just ahead of 2025 manager AJ Pierzynski

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How much service time does Vargas have left?

Looks like he has 5 years of service after 2024, even if he spends the balance of the season on the Sox. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say upon reflection, it feels like Getz prioritized getting a major league ready bat for Fedde than getting the best possible return.

Shame.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say upon reflection, it feels like Getz prioritized getting a major league ready bat for Fedde than getting the best possible return.

Probably, but just because Vargas has been in the majors the last three years and hit well in the PCL doesn’t mean he has a major league ready bat.  I guess we shall find out.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

@Y2Jimmy0 - How do you feel about the trade?

Like taking a chance on Vargas. Really like both young bats. Those are the types of bats available in this market. The trade still seems at least one player short though. I thought Fedde had more value. 

I'm over here laughing that the Sox and Cardinals brought in the Dodgers because they couldn't link up on prospects and then cards got him basically for free. Amazing. The Cards actually out there telling Chris he can't have any of their prospects for a very serviceable pitcher and he caved. 

Almost like the Baltimore fans coming in here saying we can't have any of their top 5 for Cease. Probably the Os GM said the same stuff to Getz. Pathetic. I blame Jerry for this. Every GM on the sun knows Getz is in the worst position possible because his owner is a POS and also new to the job and are raking him over the coals. Even an idiot like Hahn was able to extract exciting value (at the time) for guys like Eaton, Sale and Quintana.

Getz is cooked man. 

Launch this franchise into the sun. 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which leads me to believe they are still looking for a quick turnaround instead of a proper rebuild. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Like taking a chance on Vargas. Really like both young bats. Those are the types of bats available in this market. The trade still seems at least one player short though. I thought Fedde had more value. 

Do you like them better than Ryan Burrowes and Arxy Hernandez?

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t hate this?

I thought it felt light too. But Vargas is essentially a top 100 prospect. I would have taken him for Fedde all day long when they initially signed him. Kopech and Pham don’t have a ton of value to me so I guess I can live with two lotto tickets for them. I would have liked another prospect or two but I don’t think like this is as bad as everyone else is saying. 

Is your name Getz?

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox admitted Pham had little value. So why did he play so much?

As alarming as the actual trade are Getz's public comments. Give me the smooth talking lawyerese of Hahn any day over this Jim Boylen like moron trashing players, admitting he has no clue, etc. 

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1