Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Interesting to hear Getz not beat around the bush today and call Crochet's demands "hurtful" today. He could've been a p***y but he didn't hold back. At least he did something right tod

Crying about this publicly is 100% the wrong move.  Someone with a spine tells the press "no comment" and moves on instead of shooting himself in the foot for his bosses honor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Interesting to hear Getz not beat around the bush today and call Crochet's demands "hurtful" today. He could've been a p***y but he didn't hold back. At least he did something right tod

yea that's just excellent alienating a special player and the only thing your org has done half right in the last three years. a player that made your sad sack org worth watching every 5 days or so.

what are we doing here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

yea that's just excellent alienating a special player and the only thing your org has done half right in the last three years. a player that made your sad sack org worth watching every 5 days or so.

what are we doing here?

Once again, we are the dumbest franchise in baseball.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

https://x.com/mlbnetwork/status/1817931837466890611?s=46&t=KRiUv-HaNu4P_C3WWUG0Qg

When this was posted earlier today on social, the comments after were primarily that this would be incredible for the Sox.  Yes, it’s mostly because of the Orioles trade for Crochet and probably the Dodgers trade for Robert Jr.  The two other trades are Fedde to Cards and Kopech & Pham to Pirates for Jordan Walker and Pirates OF prospect McAdoo.

With that lens, I would much rather have Vargas (over Walker) and the two young upside bats from the Dodgers system then DeRo’s trade proposals.  Perhaps a lottery ticket short as @Y2Jimmy0 said but do we really care about another Bryan Flete or whatever his name was in the Quintana deal ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Keith law actually doesn't mind the deal for all 3 teams and thinks the Sox got 2 everyday starters in Vargas and Perez (in 3 years). Still hate this, but at least he didn't shred them apart like i expected. 

Edit. Misread. I guess he's just calling one teenager a starter.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

Keith Law:

The other player is a tier or more down in the system, although I think getting Vargas and Perez is enough of a return for Fedde and Kopech”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, heirdog said:

https://x.com/mlbnetwork/status/1817931837466890611?s=46&t=KRiUv-HaNu4P_C3WWUG0Qg

When this was posted earlier today on social, the comments after were primarily that this would be incredible for the Sox.  Yes, it’s mostly because of the Orioles trade for Crochet and probably the Dodgers trade for Robert Jr.  The two other trades are Fedde to Cards and Kopech & Pham to Pirates for Jordan Walker and Pirates OF prospect McAdoo.

With that lens, I would much rather have Vargas (over Walker) and the two young upside bats from the Dodgers system then DeRo’s trade proposals.  Perhaps a lottery ticket short as @Y2Jimmy0 said but do we really care about another Bryan Flete or whatever his name was in the Quintana deal ?

Yeah I think it's lighter than it should be, but I don't think this single handily is killing the rebuild. Last year Vargas was a top 40 prospect. The other two are young but have promising profiles that don't really exist in the system. It's for sure missing one player, but it's not AWFUL to me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t hate this?

I thought it felt light too. But Vargas is essentially a top 100 prospect. I would have taken him for Fedde all day long when they initially signed him. Kopech and Pham don’t have a ton of value to me so I guess I can live with two lotto tickets for them. I would have liked another prospect or two but I don’t think like this is as bad as everyone else is saying. 

The problem with this is evaluations aren't stagnant, they're an evolving thing. Of course you'd have taken vargas for fedde 6 months ago. That's probably what Getz is thinking too lol.

Thing is, in 6 months fedde has proven his success in Korea could translate to the US, and vargas showed he didn't have any versatility for a team that wanted it, and then his bat didn't play.

2 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

I mean Vargas has just as much of a chance to be a legit offensive piece as anyone else they would have gotten probably. And no, I'm not defending the trade. 

I agree with this. The trade sucks. They should have gotten a better centerpiece. But Vargas has a chance to be a solid offensive producer; I mean he’s got a 108 wRC+ this year. I haven’t looked, but imagine that’d be top 2 on the Sox easily. 

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Keith Law:

The other player is a tier or more down in the system, although I think getting Vargas and Perez is enough of a return for Fedde and Kopech”

No offense to keith, but he's been the high man on vargas an wrote this just last year: (had him 23rd in baseball for prospects)

now he’s a plus runner underway and there’s no doubt he could stay at third or handle second.

Its very clear from actual mlb play that vargas cannot play 2nd or 3rd in the bigs.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree with this. The trade sucks. They should have gotten a better centerpiece. But Vargas has a chance to be a solid offensive producer; I mean he’s got a 108 wRC+ this year. I haven’t looked, but imagine that’d be top 2 on the Sox easily. 

If he hits to a 108 wRC+ and is a run neutral LF he's a 2.5 WAR player assuming health. Ojala que. 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No offense to keith, but he's been the high man on vargas an wrote this just last year: (had him 23rd in baseball for prospects)

now he’s a plus runner underway and there’s no doubt he could stay at third or handle second.

Its very clear from actual mlb play that vargas cannot play 2nd or 3rd in the bigs.

You'd think a guy that has watched prospects as much as Keith would know the difference between straight line speed and quickness, especially as a defensive requirement in the IF.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

11 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Yeah I think it's lighter than it should be, but I don't think this single handily is killing the rebuild. Last year Vargas was a top 40 prospect. The other two are young but have promising profiles that don't really exist in the system. It's for sure missing one player, but it's not AWFUL to me.

When you have a lineup devoid of bats and not very many position prospects, you can’t afford to come up a player short in a trade of one of your last few trade assets.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Paper Bag 1