Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

30 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Interesting to see Callis say he'd take Vargas over Norby rather easily.  I don't think this deal is panned nearly as badly by Sox fans if Fedde went to the O's with the Sox getting back Norby + Perez and Albertus.  Still probably feels a player light with Kopech and Pham, but I think the narrative wouldn't be quite as negative.  

Would sure be nice to see Vargas look like he belongs the next couple months. 

The Marlins received Norby and Stowers for a worse pitcher than Fedde.  That’s a bit frustrating.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

16 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Marlins received Norby and Stowers for a worse pitcher than Fedde.  That’s a bit frustrating.

I mean, its not really that simple.  Fedde has been better this year, but Rogers has been better in his career.  Rogers is cheaper, has another year of control, is 5 years younger than Fedde, throws with his left hand and has more projectability.

I will again footnote that I think the Fedde deal sucked, and they should have gotten another good prospect in the deal.  But these aren't really apples to apples comps. 

• Like 2

I saw Norby this weekend in Jacksonville against the Phillies AAA team. He was 1-5 with a soft single and 2 strikeouts. Had trouble with spin - chased sliders outside the zone against a journeyman AAA pitcher with mediocre stuff. Super small sample size obviously, but I I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles with major league offspeed pitches based on what I saw. Honestly surprised the Sox didn't end up with him based on his aggression and trouble with spin.

Hope to see Charlotte next time they're in town.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kopech looked great once again tonight. His command seems way better.

So it was written, so it shall be.

"Jerry, should we hire someone from a real org like your childhood Dodgers to bring us to the 21st century?"

"Nah, Chris can teach kids how to suck at baseball just like he did."

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://x.com/t_kelly15/status/1820680519874437333

Poor Vargas, looks like he is the loneliest kid in the world…in my new lurking phase, surprised that there’s not a discussion of the reranking of all the farm systems (all the Central is basically loaded but KC) from OD until now and someone (well, at least one) attempting to give Getz credit there.

Actually listening to more Sox (and Padres) with the hospital stay…finally out and researching the liver consequences of starting Lipitor at 55 (at least I don’t drink)…and a lot of free time before reporting back to school end of next week.

Also, please ban Ron for trying to provoke Greg775 into a political debate. He will just vote for Rogan or Maher anyway.

And still can’t believe Caitlin Clark is not in Paris, along with Angel Reese for symmetry.

Woke up at 130 am for the “REAL” USNWT, the football/soccer version. Shocked Spain lost, happy to see joy returning to team with fresh coaching staff like the White Sox badly need.

We have gone from the Cuban Connection to basically just a despondent Robert, about to fall under a 700 ops and barely ahead of Vaughn of all players. It’s basically every player for themselves (statistically) as DJ always says under these circumstances.

Feeling 50/50 about Cannon and Stripling, who was super tough when with the Dodgers but not so much since then.

God, I love this post. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

What did he say that people found offensive? Am I missing something?

Nothing, he was nice about the Sox.  SS2K5 made a joke that Pham is just keeping his options open with the Sox for next year, since he’s so old and a job was tough for him to find this season.

The Cardinals were too smart to trade us Walker…

“Cardinals recalled OF Jordan Walker from Triple-A Memphis

There it is. The highly talented 22-year-old outfielder is back in the big leagues after hitting .338 with a 1.090 OPS over his last 65 at-bats. This recent hot stretch has coincided with a new stance where Walker is more open with his front foot, which allows him to clear his hips earlier and turn on the ball. That has led to a 92.1 average exit velocity and a 50 percent hard-hit rate. However, there is some question regarding how much Walker plays immediately upon arrival. Alec Burleson and Lars Nootbaar seem locked into starting roles, and Victor Scott II is a true defensive center fielder, so Walker would need to push Brendan Donovan to the bench or start only against left-handed pitchers.

19 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There it is. The highly talented 22-year-old outfielder is back in the big leagues after hitting .338 with a 1.090 OPS over his last 65 at-bats. This recent hot stretch has coincided with a new stance where Walker is more open with his front foot, which allows him to clear his hips earlier and turn on the ball. That has led to a 92.1 average exit velocity and a 50 percent hard-hit rate. However, there is some question regarding how much Walker plays immediately upon arrival. Alec Burleson and Lars Nootbaar seem locked into starting roles, and Victor Scott II is a true defensive center fielder, so Walker would need to push Brendan Donovan to the bench or start only against left-handed pitchers.

Yeah, but they were giving us Edman for Fedde. Straight up.

I know he had that bad first game with the Cardinals but it still amazes me how they pulled off that heist. Literally got Fedde for a salary dump. Still think the Dodgers should have just traded directly with the Sox. If they wanted Edman that bad, I'm sure they could have moved something else for him to the Cards (like the piece or two they dealt to the Tigers for Flaherty) at the deadline or offseason.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2024 at 1:46 PM, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, its not really that simple.  Fedde has been better this year, but Rogers has been better in his career.  Rogers is cheaper, has another year of control, is 5 years younger than Fedde, throws with his left hand and has more projectability.

I will again footnote that I think the Fedde deal sucked, and they should have gotten another good prospect in the deal.  But these aren't really apples to apples comps. 

Rogers has been bad outside of one year like 3 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

Yeah, but they were giving us Edman for Fedde. Straight up.

The two sets of rumors really don't make sense together.  I wonder which one is accurate.

On 8/9/2024 at 1:32 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz is a genius for not trading within the division!

Just looked this up, but the kid played every day after the break, 8 games, after the trade deadline.  The injury was probably new and random dumb luck.

55 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The two sets of rumors really don't make sense together.  I wonder which one is accurate.

Well, the rumor I remember was that the Sox asked the Cardinals for Walker in return for Fedde in a two team trade but the Cardinals said no, so the Sox traded Fedde for Edman, whom the Dodgers wanted, to flip for Vargas, their next choice for a young player after the Cardinals refused to give up Walker.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

On 8/6/2024 at 12:06 AM, fathom said:

Kopech looked great once again tonight. His command seems way better.

Kopech has pitched in 5 games with the Dodgers, 5 innings, 8Ks,  no walks with a 0.00 ERA.  Another case of pitchers leaving the Sox and thriving in other organizations like ReyLo, Cease, Bummer, and now apparently Kopech.  Maybe is a combination of bad trades with poor returns combined with poor coaching and motivation in a terrible team.