Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just looked this up, but the kid played every day after the break, 8 games, after the trade deadline.  The injury was probably new and random dumb luck.

I read that he was struggling with elbow issues before the TJ diagnosis.  If that was how he hits when he has elbow pain, I still would have wanted him!

“Anyone who follows new White Sox pitching czar Brian Bannister on Twitter already knows that the changes Fedde made reminded Bannister and pitching coach Ethan Katz of former pupil Logan Webb, who took a star turn for the Giants last season and finished as the runner-up in the NL Cy Young vote.

Bannister outlined on Twitter that Fedde and Webb work out at that same Arizona facility during the offseason and that once upon a time, Webb added some of the same pitches Fedde recently did, doing so under Bannister and Katz’s watch when they were Giants employees. It provides a level of familiarity — with the work, if not with the pitcher himself — that gives the White Sox confidence Fedde’s success will not be limited to the other side of the planet.”

reiterating Bannister and Katz should get equal or more credit than Getz

https://allchgo.com/how-new-white-sox-pitcher-erick-fedde-went-from-south-korea-to-the-south-side/

Edited by caulfield12

43 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

“Anyone who follows new White Sox pitching czar Brian Bannister on Twitter already knows that the changes Fedde made reminded Bannister and pitching coach Ethan Katz of former pupil Logan Webb, who took a star turn for the Giants last season and finished as the runner-up in the NL Cy Young vote.

Bannister outlined on Twitter that Fedde and Webb work out at that same Arizona facility during the offseason and that once upon a time, Webb added some of the same pitches Fedde recently did, doing so under Bannister and Katz’s watch when they were Giants employees. It provides a level of familiarity — with the work, if not with the pitcher himself — that gives the White Sox confidence Fedde’s success will not be limited to the other side of the planet.”

https://allchgo.com/how-new-white-sox-pitcher-erick-fedde-went-from-south-korea-to-the-south-side/

The one thing I'm starting to give credit to Getz for is to hire competent people and putting together a competent support staff. It seems like the Bannister hiring is rock solid, and keeping Katz at least seems to be a "not suck" move.

I'll be very interested to see a) if he actually has the autonomy to fill out the staff in his own vision; and b) how he does at that.

i think his roster management has sucked, his team construction has been atrocious, and his trade record has been a disaster, but I've been happy so far with his staff hirings.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

GMs who make the right hires build a stronger organization if they are allowed to beef up weak areas of scouting and development with quality hires.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

From Fegan's story at Sox Machine:

"Although it’s been grueling to watch the outcomes to these games I also need to take a step back and understand there is a big picture focus to this too,” Getz said on Friday. “There’s many departments that need time and energy and improvement, so as we look forward we can put ourselves in position to have sustainable success. That’s really been my focus and will remain my focus.”

What departments could those be? After a year that has seen the White Sox release seven-figure international signings Yoelqui Céspedes, Norge Vera and most recently Erick Hernández, whose time in the organization ended before making it to a full-season affiliate, the front office aims to bring significant changes to the international scouting operation. That would ideally include upgrading and/or even moving their Dominican Academy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

"Although it’s been grueling to watch the outcomes to these games I also need to take a step back and understand there is a big picture focus to this too,” Getz said on Friday. “There’s many departments that need time and energy and improvement, so as we look forward we can put ourselves in position to have sustainable success. That’s really been my focus and will remain my focus.”

What departments could those be? After a year that has seen the White Sox release seven-figure international signings Yoelqui Céspedes, Norge Vera and most recently Erick Hernández, whose time in the organization ended before making it to a full-season affiliate, the front office aims to bring significant changes to the international scouting operation. That would ideally include upgrading and/or even moving their Dominican Academy.

Expecting a lot of outside the org hires this offseason. Manager, coaching staff, a new international dude and a hitting coordinator. 

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

Expecting a lot of outside the org hires this offseason. Manager, coaching staff, a new international dude and a hitting coordinator. 

Unfortunately that will only help if the man selecting them isn't the same one who selected the last 'outside the organisation' manager. 

14 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Unfortunately that will only help if the man selecting them isn't the same one who selected the last 'outside the organisation' manager. 

That was Hahn’s hire. I’m sure Getz spoke highly of Grifol and pushed for him during that whole process but Hahn had final say. I’m also sure that Getz probably would fired Pedro way sooner if Jerry allowed him to. The key thing is that Getz changed his mind and admitted the hire was a mistake. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

That was Hahn’s hire. I’m sure Getz spoke highly of Grifol and pushed for him during that whole process but Hahn had final say. I’m also sure that Getz probably would fired Pedro way sooner if Jerry allowed him to. The key thing is that Getz changed his mind and admitted the hire was a mistake. 

That was partially my point, Jerry or TLR will no doubt interfere with this hire as well, how much Pedro was Hahn's choice or Jerry's remains a question!

18 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Wow, had no idea they released Erick Hernandez.  Paddy needs to be replaced ASAP if his $1M signing can’t even make it to Low A ball.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, had no idea they released Erick Hernandez.  Paddy needs to be replaced ASAP if his $1M signing can’t even make it to Low A ball.

They just signed him 2.5 years ago.  Is Paddy pulling a Dave Wilder or what?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Kopech continues to dominate and he’s now the Dodgers closer.  Still can’t believe Getz just gave him away.

Why is that a surprise?  He basically gave away Fedde as well for a garbage strikeout typhoon of a hitter in Miguel Vargas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Why is that a surprise?  He basically gave away Fedde as well for a garbage strikeout typhoon of a hitter in Miguel Vargas.

Edman for 2nd half MVP.

Kopech LAD   8.333 IP  0 ER   13 k's

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Another career redemption arc.  Hard not to root for him after all the setbacks ever since that memorable Sox debut in the rain seems like decades ago now.

Biggest shame is nothing to show for Fedde and Kopech.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Another career redemption arc.  Hard not to root for him after all the setbacks ever since that memorable Sox debut in the rain seems like decades ago now.

Biggest shame is nothing to show for Fedde and Kopech.

Pretty easy for me honestly.