Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

This trade wreaks of desperation and tells me ownership/the front office still thinks this can be turned around quickly. There’s no other explanation to value Vargas over other legit prospects that haven’t reached the majors yet. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I'm at a loss for words ..................

Ass clown organization

Run by

An Ass clown owner

GM'd by

A Dumbass

Managed by 

An Idiot

Almost like it makes sense the big league team sucks and a lot of prospects are struggling 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I hate everything, but even in my wildest dreams it never occurred to me that they would ship out 3 guys, including a 2/3 starter with control, for this pile of garbage. There is not an mlb regular in our side of the deal at all. This is messed up.

Can't Manfred block it? 

Favor to St. Louis? 

It doesn't even make sense from the Dodgers POV.  If STL isn't giving anything up besides Edman but getting the best guy in the trade, LAD look like fools too.  They could have gotten Fedde and Pham and flipped them for someone like Edman. 

FWIW, Vargas's AAA xWOBA this season is .382 (note that AAA xwOBA are almost always lower than the actual wOBA). No Sox AAA player with as many at bats has had a season above .345 since tracking began in 2022 (and that player is 2024 Rafael Ortega...). Only 7 AAA players in 2024 have a higher xwOBA than Vargas this year and among that group is Kyle Manzardo and James Wood. The kid hits AAA pitching no matter how you want to spin it.

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

It doesn't even make sense from the Dodgers POV.  If STL isn't giving anything up besides Edman but getting the best guy in the trade, LAD look like fools too.  They could have gotten Fedde and Pham and flipped them for someone like Edman. 

They needed a strikeout reliever. Also, Edman is good against LHP, and that’s something they figure to see a lot of.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

FWIW, Vargas's AAA xWOBA this season is .382 (note that AAA xwOBA are almost always lower than the actual wOBA). No Sox AAA player with as many at bats has had a season above .345 since tracking began in 2022 (and that player is 2024 Rafael Ortega...). Only 7 AAA players in 2024 have a higher xwOBA than Vargas this year and among that group is Kyle Manzardo and James Wood. The kid hits AAA pitching no matter how you want to spin it.

Once again, in the heavily skewed offensive PCL league.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I'm at a loss for words ..................

Ass clown organization

Run by

An Ass clown owner

GM'd by

A Dumbass

Managed by 

An Idiot

I think you can rework this into a haiku if you try 

• Haha 1

My understanding is the Cardinals prospects coming to the Sox have not yet been announced and players are still being informed.  So I don't believe this is the final part of the move. Vargas is a pretty interesting guy though. I could be mistaken on the above - but as of now, it makes no sense without inclusion of Cardinals prospects.  

• TLR 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I am so confused. I just can't understand how STL gets Fedde for Edman. 

Same here, this makes no sense at all. Why are the Dodgers even facilitating this?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

I'm sure the Knights will be thrilled....

• Love 1

Sox were clearly targeting a high end prospect down on his luck, given their insistence on Walker from STL. Vargas makes sense from that perspective (MLB #37 in 2023), though I don't understand how this deal works out at all, given STL only gave up Edman. Getz got Getz'd.

• Like 1

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

My understanding is the Cardinals prospects coming to the Sox have not yet been announced and players are still being informed.  So I don't believe this is the final part of the move. Vargas is a pretty interesting guy though. I could be mistaken on the above - but as of now, it makes no sense without inclusion of Cardinals prospects.  

Have you heard this? Or you're just assuming because the framework doesn't make sense (which we all clearly agree)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

And aided what will very likely be a playoff opponent..as seemingly comes down to StL SD and NYM. 

Who knows, maybe the Braves collapse down the home stretch? 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Everyone else is saying the deal is done.  Where are you seeing there is more to go?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Which would be great if winning the AAA world series was the goal.  

I'll be honest.  The only thing I know about him was he was being told to not swing at pitches in spring training for some reason.

You don't give away three cheap MLB productive players for that return.  

• Thanks 1