Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Have you heard this? Or you're just assuming because the framework doesn't make sense (which we all clearly agree)

Its being published on MLB.com and Whitesox.com and there is nothing at all noting were still waiting on Cardinals prospects. This is the deal sadly.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

My understanding is the Cardinals prospects coming to the Sox have not yet been announced and players are still being informed.  So I don't believe this is the final part of the move. Vargas is a pretty interesting guy though. I could be mistaken on the above - but as of now, it makes no sense without inclusion of Cardinals prospects.  

Then how come the Sox website posted the trade then?

I hope you are right. How good is your source?

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

My understanding is the Cardinals prospects coming to the Sox have not yet been announced and players are still being informed.  So I don't believe this is the final part of the move. Vargas is a pretty interesting guy though. I could be mistaken on the above - but as of now, it makes no sense without inclusion of Cardinals prospects.  

I hope you're right; but I would think just the fact that there would be prospects coming from St Lous would have been announced.

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Poor guys... pennant race to all time worst record chase in the blink of an eye. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am so confused. I just can't understand how STL gets Fedde for Edman. 

It makes zero sense. Even if Edman had been playing all year with his career averages I don't think he is worth Fedde straight up. Plus they got Pham 

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

Reminds me of the Frazier/Kahnle/Robertson trade. That was the worst trade in Sox history at the time of it happening but I think this may pass it. Wow what an awful return.

Just wait for the Crochet trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Then how come the Sox website posted the trade then?

I hope you are right. How good is your source?

I have no source on this.  I heard that on local radio.  

• Haha 2

I stand corrected.  Cardinal's seemed to do pretty good here.  I like Vargas - he's got real upside as a hitter and I think worse case he plays in the outfield....but that isn't thrilling.  The key is going to be these young guys from the Dodgers.  Only thing I can say is at least Getz went with the young, higher athletic potential upside and targeted some flyers...but this is a REAL light trade in my opinion if they are really are just getting these 3 guys for Fedde, Kopech, and Pham.  

Hopefully one of those guys is the next Tatis Jr.  And I will say - prospect rankings on guys just coming over from the international scene can be pretty off. Not that the Sox deserve any benefit of the doubt here - however, this is the type of deal Hahn never makes (he never went that raw on a deal like this). 

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Which would be great if winning the AAA world series was the goal.  

I'll be honest.  The only thing I know about him was he was being told to not swing at pitches in spring training for some reason.

You don't give away three cheap MLB productive players for that return.  

I am guessing Pham had no trade value.  Which makes sense frankly.  Basically a 0 WAR player, league average hitter and isn't a good defender.  Been bad for several weeks now, and still due a couple million (believe he has a $1M trade bonus), so perhaps he was just a salary dump.

So if you look at is at Fedde for Vargas, and one of the low level IFs and Kopech for the other low level IFs, I guess it make slightly more sense if you wink like 50x.  But still doesn't explain the STL/Edman side of it.  Feels like LAD got hosed here too.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I stand corrected.  Cardinal's seemed to do pretty good here.  I like Vargas - he's got real upside as a hitter and I think worse case he plays in the outfield....but that isn't thrilling.  The key is going to be these young guys from the Dodgers.  Only thing I can say is at least Getz went with the young, higher athletic potential upside and targeted some flyers...but this is a REAL light trade in my opinion if they are really are just getting these 3 guys for Fedde, Kopech, and Pham.  

Hopefully one of those guys is the next Tatis Jr.  And I will say - prospect rankings on guys just coming over from the international scene can be pretty off. Not that the Sox deserve any benefit of the doubt here - however, this is the type of deal Hahn never makes (he never went that raw on a deal like this). 

Vargas batted statcast data is terrible.  That is real concerning with respect to his upside.  

• Like 3