Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

3 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Why is everyone shocked that this organization continues to make idiotic decisions?

I'm not shocked at the idiocy, more shocked at the depth of idiocy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Once again, in the heavily skewed offensive PCL league.

This is all adjusted for in the metric! Plus, half the players he's compared to are in the same PCL.

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Let’s say Fedde and Vargas weren’t in this trade. How would everyone feel about Kopech and Pham for Perez and Albertus?

I'd have been happy to get anything for those guys, honestly, and would have assumed it would have been more along the lines of a too-old, mediocre-results A-ball pitcher or hard throwing but young A-ball reliever.

I'm gonna hold out hope there's more coming from STL to the Sox, otherwise this is a terrible deal that basically assumes Pham and Kopech have negative value, and Edman was basically worth Vargas + 2 prospects by himself.

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

It just doesn't make sense that the Dodgers essentially traded Fedde and Pham for Edman.  Getz may be a moron but Andrew Friedman sure as hell isn't. 

Dodgers traded Vargas/Prospect(s) for Edman and then traded Vargas/Prospect(s) for Kopech.

Then St. Louis traded Vargas/Prospect(s) for Fedde and Pham.

Just now, Jake said:

This is all adjusted for in the metric! Plus, half the players he's compared to are in the same PCL.

Exactly. He has been improving his numbers in AAA each year. If people want to compare to sosa and how they are the same, Sosa's offensive profile finally started to show on this team after he finally could keep his iso alongside improving walk rate in AAA.

Michael Busch was also a good offensive player who struggled in his taste of the dodgers but kept mashing in PCL and lo and behold is a pretty strong offensive player.

And vargas can be better defensively than busch could. 

Dodgers don't really have the ability to afford to be patient with prospects. They either hit the ground running or are replaced and held down to season or shipped off. 

But biggest sign Vargas isn't good is that dodgers traded him. But yes I am concerned his bat speed and exit velocity may not be improving since he's now 2 years from when he was 2 years from when the strength was supposed to come.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Exactly. He has been improving his numbers in AAA each year. If people want to compare to sosa and how they are the same, Sosa's offensive profile finally started to show on this team after he finally could keep his iso alongside improving walk rate in AAA.

Michael Busch was also a good offensive player who struggled in his taste of the dodgers but kept mashing in PCL and lo and behold is a pretty strong offensive player.

And vargas can be better defensively than busch could. 

Dodgers don't really have the ability to afford to be patient with prospects. They either hit the ground running or are replaced and held down to season or shipped off. 

But biggest sign Vargas isn't good is that dodgers traded him. But yes I am concerned his bat speed and exit velocity may not be improving since he's now 2 years from when he was 2 years from when the strength was supposed to come.

He’s fletcher with a Latin prospect boost.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is actually about right.

Agreed. I’d be pretty happy with that trade. 

So the disgust with this trade is Fedde for a top 30-40ish prospect from last year. That seems like it’s light a prospect, but when you combine it with the good return for Kopech and Pham, it’s not as crazy as many are saying. 

I’d say overall, it’s a slightly underwhelming return, but not a disaster. But what I can’t figure out is how the Cards managed to get Fedde and Pham for Edman. That’s the bigger head scratcher, not the return that the Sox got. 

• Haha 1

Gonna be interesting how Perez and Albertus are viewed vs. the rest of the Sox system. I’d slot them in around 15-16,  ahead of Mogollon for now. Mogollon’s batted ball data hints at way more impact, tho. They are solid prospects but not system changing. Sox gotta count on Wolkow and Bonemer being dudes.

Edited by Timmy U

21 minutes ago, T R U said:

There is no way to defend this trade. Not even WestEddy can spin this.

I'm so baseball dumb I can't figure out who got traded for whom.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He’s fletcher with a Latin prospect boost.

Maybe, but Vargas was much better than fletcher in the minors. We'll see soon how much was Dodgers pixie dust holding him up. If the approach declines it's not a good package, but if the rest picks up it's a very valuable player.

9 minutes ago, Jake said:

Well, it hasn’t translated to the majors, but I’m sure the Sox will be the team to adjust his swing and get him going again even though the Dodgers could not.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1