Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

How much service time does Vargas have left?

I think I saw he isn't a free agent until 2030 - so I think the bright side here is - this is a guy who is going to be around for a while, presuming he can figure out big league pitching. If he can hit like he did in the minors, than I think there is something legit there bat wise.  Supposedly he was making some progress this season - my Dodger buddies were a fan of his.  But reality is only way you see this deal making sense is Sox still view him as a top 50 type of prospect who they are buying low on because he's been stuck in a bit of a roster crunch with the Dodgers at big league level.  

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

He came into this year with 142 days of service so he has to be somewhere just after one full year of service, leaving him 5 years of control.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-grades-why-dodgers-cardinals-both-get-an-a-for-three-team-deadline-deal-with-white-sox/

White Sox get a D grade.

For whatever it's worth, three evaluators with rival teams we spoke to agreed that this package felt light. Maybe the White Sox see something -- in Vargas, but also Albertus and Perez -- that will allow them to get the last laugh.

They have scouts? 

Even if it was Harold's darling Jared Kelenic included, I would still be hopping mad about this one. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

My understanding is the Cardinals prospects coming to the Sox have not yet been announced and players are still being informed.  So I don't believe this is the final part of the move. Vargas is a pretty interesting guy though. I could be mistaken on the above - but as of now, it makes no sense without inclusion of Cardinals prospects.  

?

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think he has 4 years after this year.. so we also don't even get a full 6 years lol

He must have at least five.  He hasn’t accrued a full just yet.  Was curious if maybe he had six years of control left but probably not.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It said 5 years on the MLB Trade Rumors article

Edited by wegner
think MBL is a wrestling league in FL

The core problem with Vargas is that he HAS to hit to have any value at all. It's like 95% of the other sox players that Chris Getz said he didn't like. 

The best part of all this to me is that Fedde was worth nothing before the year. Getz did the right thing, took the gamble on fedde and it panned out.... then he just, gave all that work away. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The core problem with Vargas is that he HAS to hit to have any value at all. It's like 95% of the other sox players that Chris Getz said he didn't like. 

The best part of all this to me is that Fedde was worth nothing before the year. Getz did the right thing, took the gamble on fedde and it panned out.... then he just, gave all that work away. 

You should see how proud he was of the Fedde acquisition in his media scrum today 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Has to hit to have value and poor statcast data indicating he's not going to hit are the two things Getz looks for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, scotty22hotty said:

why didn't the dodgers just keep fedde tho. He becomes their new #1

saw this on twitter...

this trade needs a forensic investigation of how 2 GMs agreed to get fleeced so bad

GTrn2kCWsAAZVLr.jpg

To me that is the part that seems odd - Dodgers gave up all the prospects so they seemed to have no issue with Fedde for a guy who has missed all of this year coming off of wrist injury. At this piont I'll just hope one or both of those 19 year olds ends up breaking out and Vargas ends up being a legit middle of the order bat.  

Oh boy, let me see this Statcast data that shows Vargas will be unable to hit in the future. So far all I see is Statcast data showing he's gotten basically exactly what he's deserved so far in MLB (which, to be fair, is not much) and Statcast data showing he was almost the best hitter in all of AAA.

4 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

why didn't the dodgers just keep fedde tho. He becomes their new #1

saw this on twitter...

this trade needs a forensic investigation of how 2 GMs agreed to get fleeced so bad

GTrn2kCWsAAZVLr.jpg

Dodgers probably think they can fix kopech and turn him into a back end arm. Agree its odd, but that makes more sense than them thinking Tommy edman is anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Dodgers probably think they can fix kopech and turn him into a back end arm. Agree its odd, but that makes more sense than them thinking Tommy edman is anything.

Edman gives them a middle infielder that they need that can also hit LHP and be a stolen base threat.  I like this trade for them.

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

Oh boy, let me see this Statcast data that shows Vargas will be unable to hit in the future. So far all I see is Statcast data showing he's gotten basically exactly what he's deserved so far in MLB (which, to be fair, is not much) and Statcast data showing he was almost the best hitter in all of AAA.

The AAAA hof is full of guys like Vargas. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, Jake said:

He's bottom third in literally every offensive stat other than chase and whiff rate. That would be fine if he was a defensive oriented CF or SS. But he's a DH/LF that hits righty.  His xwOBA is .287.

ZIPS thinks he's a 1.5 WAR player. We just traded for another borderline starter -- at best. It's such a stupid use of everything: opportunity cost being the biggest one. You shot your load on a guy that is he pans out is like a decent regular that is poor defensively and hits righty. Great, you've turned a 120 loss team into a 118 loss team. 

This isn't at all the type of guy we should be targeting, regardless of how you feel about him as a player. 

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Edman gives them a middle infielder that they need that can also hit LHP and be a stolen base threat.  I like this trade for them.

When?

Even by the White Sox semi incompetent standards this one seems highly underwhelming. With so many clubs out there looking to add a quality arm it's basically administrative malfeasance if you didn't at least call the White Sox to check this hand.

• Like 3

Just now, fathom said:

Thing is he's barely an upgrade though. It takes a non-mlb caliber player off their active roster which helps, but a soft hitting mif coming off wrist surgery is not a good thing imo.

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

To me that is the part that seems odd - Dodgers gave up all the prospects so they seemed to have no issue with Fedde for a guy who has missed all of this year coming off of wrist injury. At this piont I'll just hope one or both of those 19 year olds ends up breaking out and Vargas ends up being a legit middle of the order bat.  

Yeah, how do the cardinals give up only edman and get fedde and pham? I'm not sure edman will ever play much with his weird wrist injury. The cardinals killed it here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Thing is he's barely an upgrade though. It takes a non-mlb caliber player off their active roster which helps, but a soft hitting mif coming off wrist surgery is not a good thing imo.

Taylor has been terible this year. 

"The Dodgers also get 17-year-old right-hander Oliver Gonzalez from the Cardinals, while the Cardinals will get cash from the White Sox and either cash or a player to be named later from the Dodgers."

That might be even more annoying for a cash strapped team. 

Here, you can have Tatis as well if Erik Johnson isn't enough... we just want our subsidy on the Shields contract anyway.