Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He likes 19 year olds because it buys him more time. But to think the White Sox are going to get these guys to hit is insane. Sammy Zavala is putting up Benintendi numbers in A ball.

Yea… I don’t think I expressed an ounce of hope in thinking “the White Sox are going to get these guys to hit.”

We’re barking up the same tree.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

He’s playing in the minors next week

Right, he is only playing dh as he can't play the field yet. So hiw long us it going to take to get up to playing speed. I guess he could be ready in a few weeks. Just seems weird that, the cardinals get out if his contract and he may not play much while getting a decent starting pitcher and a 4th OF.

5 minutes ago, Jake said:

For the record, I am in agreement that it seems like STL does bafflingly well in this deal which suggests to me the Sox may have left something on the table. That said, it is not striking me as a trade that we will be looking back years from now as shockingly bad. Partly because the only real downside for the Sox is opportunity cost which we can never never truly quantify, but also just that my assessment is there's some chance the Sox clearly end up "winning" it by some measure despite the fact it looks like they could have gotten more.

The Sox had to add at least one legit offensive piece for Fedde.  They have 7 lineup spots to fill, and that’s if you think Montgomery and Quero are the real deal.  Instead, Getz packaged him with Kopech and Pham and still didn’t even get back a single legit offensive piece.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are they grading on a curve?  Literally only the Cardinals won that trade on Day 1.

I agree. The really did well to get out of that contract and get a good starting pitcher. 

Frazier/Kahnle/Robertson trade as worst in Sox history??? The trade was by no means good, seeing as the Sox netted zero value out of it. But Kahnle accumulated 1.7 WAR/>4.00 ERA in 110ish innings before reaching free agency after the deal. Frazier was playing just okay on an expiring deal. Robo pitched well before reaching free agency but was on a market value deal, thus making it hard to get any surplus trade value out of him. There was just not much downside risk for the Sox in that trade because of the positions of the players they traded and their contract situations.

Semien, Bassitt, and Phegley for Samardzija is SO MUCH worse it's not even funny, and I haven't even brought the Tatis situation into play yet since at least the Sox can say that nobody thought Tatis was going to be that good back then.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are they grading on a curve?  Literally only the Cardinals won that trade on Day 1.

To be honest, I just skimmed it because it was depressing....I think they made fun of Getz though, which is nice.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Frazier/Kahnle/Robertson trade as worst in Sox history??? The trade was by no means good, seeing as the Sox netted zero value out of it. But Kahnle accumulated 1.7 WAR/>4.00 ERA in 110ish innings before reaching free agency after the deal. Frazier was playing just okay on an expiring deal. Robo pitched well before reaching free agency but was on a market value deal, thus making it hard to get any surplus trade value out of him. There was just not much downside risk for the Sox in that trade because of the positions of the players they traded and their contract situations.

Semien, Bassitt, and Phegley for Samardzija is SO MUCH worse it's not even funny, and I haven't even brought the Tatis situation into play yet since at least the Sox can say that nobody thought Tatis was going to be that good back then.

Chris Getz' tombstone will say "I lost 125 games in a year, but at least I didn't trade Tatis Jr"

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sox had to add at least one legit offensive piece for Fedde.  They have 7 lineup spots to fill, and that’s if you think Montgomery and Quero are the real deal.  Instead, Getz packaged him with Kopech and Pham and still didn’t even get back a single legit offensive piece.

Just think of everything they’ve traded since last year’s deadline and what they have to show for it?  Outside of Angels trade, it’s been a shitshow 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Chris Getz' tombstone will say "I lost 125 games in a year, but at least I didn't trade Tatis Jr"

One thing's for sure, the best way to truly show your ass as a GM is to go into buyer mode

Just now, fathom said:

Just think of everything they’ve traded since last year’s deadline and what they have to show for it?  Outside of Angels trade, it’s been a shitshow 

Nothing.  How hilarious that without Hahn’s trades at last year’s deadline, Getz would have nothing in the minors.

I remarked to a friend the other day that the only person who I am fairly confident knows what they are doing is Brian Bannister — the problem is if I know that, surely everyone in baseball knows that Bannister is good too. So what are the chances he gets poached? At this point, I have to think even a lateral move would be tempting to him but maybe the Sox are offering something to him that he wouldn't get elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I agree. The Sox have to start building a team. You have to start getting position players that are major league ready or very close to it. These 19 year olds are 3 or 4 years away and that's even if they amount to anything.

If your going to trade off the few assets you have you have to be getting some really good pieces back. To me this just looks like JR dumping salary to increase the bottom line. The White Sox are not his passion that he is dedicated to making a winning ballclub. They are just an investment.

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I mean Vargas has just as much of a chance to be a legit offensive piece as anyone else they would have gotten probably. And no, I'm not defending the trade. 

• Thanks 1

Am I the only one who doesn’t hate this?

I thought it felt light too. But Vargas is essentially a top 100 prospect. I would have taken him for Fedde all day long when they initially signed him. Kopech and Pham don’t have a ton of value to me so I guess I can live with two lotto tickets for them. I would have liked another prospect or two but I don’t think like this is as bad as everyone else is saying. 

• Like 1

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I thought it felt light too. But Vargas is essentially a top 100 prospect. I would have taken him for Fedde all day long when they initially signed him. Kopech and Pham don’t have a ton of value to me so I guess I can live with two lotto tickets for them. I would have liked another prospect or two but I don’t think like this is as bad as everyone else is saying. 

Kopech should have had a lot more value than this though, compared to what other relievers have gotten.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hi8is said:

The ONLY way I could possibly TRY talking myself into liking this is with the following logic:

We have shared spring training facilities with the Dodgers for years now so I’m sure we are familiar with all the pieces we got in return. Our scouting department must have valued these guys highly and believe they can turn them into dudes.

However, I won’t walk down that road because this is the White Sox scouting department and “player development” staff we’re talking about here.

FUCKING UGLY. I will never understand why Getz didn’t make St. Louis include prospects not will I ever understand why he left better offers on the table.

Three of your trade chips including one of your best for 3.5 minor leaguers… absurd.

If you want you view this trade as a positive, you can cling to a couple of things.  Vargas has hit incredibly in AAA this year and when using a 190 PA threshold, he’s ranked first in wRC+ at 149, third in BB % at 19.9%, & 4th in ISO at .276 all while sporting a BABIP below his career norms.  Obviously these figures are inflated due to playing in the PCL, but so are everyone else’s and their AAA stadium actually has pretty average park factors.

The other two kids we received may not have plus tools, but they both have advanced plate discipline at their age and that’s something we have struggled developing.  Perez is sporting a .380 OBP and 119 wRC+ in Low A as a 19 year old and Albertus destroyed complex ball with a .479 OBP and 151 wRC+ before being promoted to Low A (he is also 19).  While I always prefer prospects who have at least one non-arm carrying tool, guys with average tools that illustrate strong discipline early on oftentimes are underrated in these rankings.

But to be clear, I hate this trade and the last remaining hope I had for Chris Getz all but died today.

• Like 1

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

You and Harold, probably 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, hi8is said:

The ONLY way I could possibly TRY talking myself into liking this is with the following logic:

We have shared spring training facilities with the Dodgers for years now so I’m sure we are familiar with all the pieces we got in return. Our scouting department must have valued these guys highly and believe they can turn them into dudes.

However, I won’t walk down that road because this is the White Sox scouting department and “player development” staff we’re talking about here.

FUCKING UGLY. I will never understand why Getz didn’t make St. Louis include prospects not will I ever understand why he left better offers on the table.

Three of your trade chips including one of your best for 3.5 minor leaguers… absurd.

And let FOUR Padres' execs and scouts come in and steal Tatis right out from under their noses a practice field or two over lol. 

Our scouting department is almost totally non existent at this point. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

The Graveman & Middleton returns were fantastic for what we gave up.