Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just think of everything they’ve traded since last year’s deadline and what they have to show for it?  Outside of Angels trade, it’s been a shitshow 

Yup. With a limited number of trade assets, Getz has burned several while not getting a single foundational piece to build with going forward. How exactly are they going to build a contending team again?

So as I see it, Getz thought the closer we got to the trade deadline, the more he'd get.

Meanwhile, the other GMs knew if they waited he would give in.

Alternatively, this is the return Getz wanted and that seems worse.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Pretty sure this is the case as the guys we got back check his boxes.

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Yup. With a limited number of trade assets, Getz has burned several while not getting a single foundational piece to build with going forward. How exactly are they going to build a contending team again?

I’m not accepting Drew Thrope write offs already. 

The only thing that makes sense here is the Sox convinced themselves they were getting a deal on Vargas. But if that's the case I'm willing to bet they could have had it for just Kopech if they just let that offer sit for a while.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

So as I see it, Getz thought the closer we got to the trade deadline, the more he'd get.

Meanwhile, the other GMs knew if they waited he would give in.

Does this make him captain too patient?

25 minutes ago, Jake said:

I remarked to a friend the other day that the only person who I am fairly confident knows what they are doing is Brian Bannister — the problem is if I know that, surely everyone in baseball knows that Bannister is good too. So what are the chances he gets poached? At this point, I have to think even a lateral move would be tempting to him but maybe the Sox are offering something to him that he wouldn't get elsewhere.

Chicago style pizza, Chicago dogs, and Italian beefs. 

Strongly suspect what was intended with the comment in the confusing tweet was the Sox agreed that they would probably accept a trade in which the Sox accept the prospect return for Edman as the prospect return for Fedde

I don’t really understand what Getz is doing with his transactions. I could understand Pham and Kopech not having much value, but I am having a tough time understanding how them with Fedde yielded such a low return. This organization is going to be in the wilderness for some time if they don’t make moves that make sense or develop talent. Can’t wait for Bears season.

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

2.7 fWAR  TOR starter for ten teams in MLB today, #19 ranked after foolishly getting started this last time out

2.7 and trending towards a 4. 

What does he have... something like 1/4th of team wins? 

If that's how we value pitching... giving it away for free, why even draft Smith over Cags? 

The fans of a 120 less team would much rather see some exciting hitters if you have zero speed defense bullpen, etc. 

Fucking dumbest 1 to 1 evaluation of talent since Brock for Broglio. 

They will start calling the Sox the No Tool team with Robert gone. 

Bob from Berwyn or whatever his name has to be contacted by all the local radio call-in programs to rant away. 

4 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I’m not accepting Drew Thrope write offs already. 

I'm not ready to call him a foundation piece until he proves he can get Major League hitters once they see his stuff more than once.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Strongly suspect what was intended with the comment in the confusing tweet was the Sox agreed that they would probably accept a trade in which the Sox accept the prospect return for Edman as the prospect return for Fedde

Isn't valuing them as equivalent assets baseball malpractice? 

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Isn't valuing them as equivalent assets baseball malpractice? 

I don't know. As soon as I heard we did a three-way deal with the Cardinals I suspected there was a chance the industry valued those two guys the same (although I remain fuzzy on Edman's injury status) but I was hopeful the Sox could get more for Fedde. But can't rule out the possibility that teams just aren't that high on Fedde given his long track record of being terrible before this season.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

2.7 fWAR  TOR starter for ten teams in MLB today, #19 ranked after foolishly getting started this last time out

2.7 and trending towards a 4. 

What does he have... something like 1/4th of team wins? 

If that's how we value pitching... giving it away for free, why even draft Smith over Cags? 

The fans of a 120 less team would much rather see some exciting hitters if you have zero speed defense bullpen, etc. 

Fucking dumbest 1 to 1 evaluation of talent since Brock for Broglio. 

They will start calling the Sox the No Tool team with Robert gone. 

Bob from Berwyn or whatever his name has to be contacted by all the local radio call-in programs to rant away. 

Berto from the west side, dude!  And I sure hope he makes a follow-up call after this trade deadline.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Jake said:

I don't know. As soon as I heard we did a three-way deal with the Cardinals I suspected there was a chance the industry valued those two guys the same (although I remain fuzzy on Edman's injury status) but I was hopeful the Sox could get more for Fedde. But can't rule out the possibility that teams just aren't that high on Fedde given his long track record of being terrible before this season.

Edman wasn’t great last year and is hurt and hasn’t played at all this year, there’s no way he would have the same value as Fede right now. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agree. The really did well to get out of that contract and get a good starting pitcher. 

I would argue if the SS is no longer a SS and all they are getting is a bat plus the contract, than the Dodgers did just as bad as the Sox, if not worse.  Cause I do think Vargas and the other 2 is pretty good value for Kopech on his own (and I do expect Kopech at some point will put together a good run). 

So that is the part that kind of has me puzzled - maybe league just wasn't going to give up a lot for Fedde so it came down to which best prospect in any deal did Sox like the most.  I don't know who the others were. Vargas is a big leaguer who has a hit tool that hasn't shown up (but his actual hitting tool is pretty good) and he had gotten pulled around a bit by the Dodgers.  

Any which way - I think we all agree that its a good deal for Cardinals - they get a potential playoff run with Fedde plus next year on a cost control deal.  I'm still puzzled - can't really find a lot to be excited about, but I definitely could see a scenario where Vargas ends up a 3 WAR type of outfielder or 2B type (or a guy who can do a bit of both but get tons of at bats so a 3 WAR versality guy).  I suppose potentially better - maybe 4 WAR (I kind of limit his upside there because he isn't getting plus points for his defense).  But he should be a decent base runner, etc so not like they are getting Eloy in the field / on the bases (and hopefully not on the IR either).  

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nah, it’s just further proof that he is who we thought he was — a bad GM.

This FO and ownership group make it extremely difficult to be a White Sox fan. They can't be the future.

• Like 2