Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No offense to keith, but he's been the high man on vargas an wrote this just last year: (had him 23rd in baseball for prospects)

now he’s a plus runner underway and there’s no doubt he could stay at third or handle second.

Its very clear from actual mlb play that vargas cannot play 2nd or 3rd in the bigs.

Yeah was his 1 inning at 3rd decisive for you

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No offense to keith, but he's been the high man on vargas an wrote this just last year: (had him 23rd in baseball for prospects)

now he’s a plus runner underway and there’s no doubt he could stay at third or handle second.

Its very clear from actual mlb play that vargas cannot play 2nd or 3rd in the bigs.

Defensively I don’t believe that is true. 

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

When you have a lineup devoid of bats and not very many position prospects, you can’t afford to come up a player short in a trade of one of your last few trade assets.

I think any other player would have been a lottery ticket at best. 

2 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I expect DeJong to be moved for discount dog food tomorrow so I'm guessing Vargas plays third until Yoan gets to town

Moncada?  He will have another setback for sure or get reinjured the second he comes back.  And even if he doesn’t, what would be the point of even playing him?  A waiver deal?  Not with his performance, disappearance, and bloated contract.  The Sox should tell him to stay home.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

If Vargas actually rakes, and not Michael Busch raking, then this trade can't be bad imo. Sox needed to fill at least 1 of 8. If Vargas actually does that, and not as a fringe big leaguer, this is a win.

I'm smart enough to know I also have no absolute idea on how good a player can or will be, or whether a guy is a complete bust or not. Will he be Brandon wood or just another star who started a little slow? 

So all that said, go smash some baseballs miguel and make keith law look smarter than me and all of us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Moncada?  He will have another setback for sure or get reinjured the second he comes back.  And even if he doesn’t, what would be the point of even playing him?  A waiver deal?  Not with his performance, disappearance, and bloated contract.

Moncada will never be in a Sox uniform again. 

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah was his 1 inning at 3rd decisive for you

No, but I didn't think he was one of the few (moncada to name one) who is actually capable of playing 3rd base while being a disaster at 2nd. Maybe he'll prove wrong, but given that law said no doubt he could handle second....

He makes Sosa look like Roberto alomar.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Moncada?  He will have another setback for sure or get reinjured the second he comes back.  And even if he doesn’t, what would be the point of even playing him?  A waiver deal?  Not with his performance, disappearance, and bloated contract.  The Sox should tell him to stay home.

Why do the Sox do anything?

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If Vargas actually rakes, and not Michael Busch raking, then this trade can't be bad imo. Sox needed to fill at least 1 of 8. If Vargas actually does that, and not as a fringe big leaguer, this is a win.

I'm smart enough to know I also have no absolute idea on how good a player can or will be, or whether a guy is a complete bust or not. Will he be Brandon wood or just another star who started a little slow? 

So all that said, go smash some baseballs miguel and make keith law look smarter than me and all of us. 

I realize Busch is a 1B/DH, but we can only hope Vargas can hover around an .800 OPS like Busch.

For any who play MLB The Show, Vargas was once nearly the top ranked player in the world in its online multiplayer. I do remember hearing that he had engaged in a mild form of cheating to get there though, lol

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think of it that way - if Vargas ends up a 3 WAR player for 5 years of control - that is a pretty darn good trade. If one of the other prospects turns into something as well - that is an excellent deal. I’m not betting on the second thing happening - but more they take chances on these type of guys on trades, the more one or two might hit. 

On Vargas, I think with him just being able to play regularly without getting consistently in and out (part of challenge for young dodger players breaking in)….we are going to end up seeing him blossom. 

He is a good hitter. I don’t know if he will be great - but I see him being a 750 to 825 ops type of guy without projecting too much. 

Also let’s not compare him to Sosa - his minor league numbers and hit tool is light years ahead of Sosas.  Maybe he ends up like Sosa but they aren’t the same echelon of prospects.

Why am I not surprised that Getz got fleeced in this deal? He is totally unqualified as a GM and a proven failure as a minor league developer of talent. We had a guy with 1½ years of control that should have returned a top 100 prospect at a minimum. He packages that guy with Pham and Kopech and gets a AAAA player and 2 really young kids that now get to develop in the worst minor league "system" in baseball.

He got taken apart at the Big kids table and thinks he won because JR is happy he reduced payroll. This franchise is utterly doomed until JR draws his last breath. Really happy we didn't waste a year of a REAL GM having to learn the organization. Getz hit the ground running and under JR's direction has turned us into the laughing stock of baseball. Thank you JR, you sanctimonious a$$hole for ruining the team of my youth. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think of it that way - if Vargas ends up a 3 WAR player for 5 years of control - that is a pretty darn good trade. If one of the other prospects turns into something as well - that is an excellent deal. I’m not betting on the second thing happening - but more they take chances on these type of guys on trades, the more one or two might hit. 

On Vargas, I think with him just being able to play regularly without getting consistently in and out (part of challenge for young dodger players breaking in)….we are going to end up seeing him blossom. 

He is a good hitter. I don’t know if he will be great - but I see him being a 750 to 825 ops type of guy without projecting too much. 

Also let’s not compare him to Sosa - his minor league numbers and hit tool is light years ahead of Sosas.  Maybe he ends up like Sosa but they aren’t the same echelon of prospects.

Just meant defensively regarding sosa.

You should hear Len and DJ spin this on the radio tonight. "Young guys with pop," "...Sox trying to hit a homerun not a single," and other such bullsh*t.  Comparing the Sox to the Royals as far as a quick turnaround. Accumulating pieces for future deals, if nothing else. You cannot make this sh*t up.

41 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Hopefully Vargas and/or one of the lotto tickets pays off, but the trade feels pretty light.  I'd feel a lot better about it if we had a couple intriguing prospects coming from STL too, even if they weren't top tier guys.  

When I saw this deal, I wondered how much cash got thrown in to us.  I sat there wondering if we got a few million in cash or if the goal was to just shed payroll, with JR lining his pockets, instead of getting the best quality players.

There is a lack of guys capable of what Fedde has shown who are available right now.  That along should have given us a solid player in return.  Maybe one of these guys pan out, but on its face, this trade is difficult to swallow.