Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

I wonder if Getz doesn't box himself into a corner by insisting on position prospects.  To some extent it goes back to the draft when they had a choice of the 3 position players that they had dreamed of, and passed on all 3.  Now, they almost have to take position players, even though the value may be in pitching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I wonder if Getz doesn't box himself into a corner by insisting on position prospects.  To some extent it goes back to the draft when they had a choice of the 3 position players that they had dreamed of, and passed on all 3.  Now, they almost have to take position players, even though the value may be in pitching.

Who were these position players? This just isn't true at all. They medical red flagged Wetherholt and weren't taking him. They weren't taking Cags because they wanted an up the middle player and Griffin still isn't signed in Pittsburgh because his camp wants too much $$. Hagen Smith was an easy call in hindsight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, Jake said:

For the record, I am in agreement that it seems like STL does bafflingly well in this deal which suggests to me the Sox may have left something on the table. That said, it is not striking me as a trade that we will be looking back years from now as shockingly bad. Partly because the only real downside for the Sox is opportunity cost which we can never never truly quantify, but also just that my assessment is there's some chance the Sox clearly end up "winning" it by some measure despite the fact it looks like they could have gotten more.

Yeah it seems like there should be a prospect coming from the cardinals. Are we sure we have the final trade info

5 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

Yeah it seems like there should be a prospect coming from the cardinals. Are we sure we have the final trade info

The only thing that was added at the end of the reporting was a player to be named later or cash (from Dodgers).

18 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Who were these position players? This just isn't true at all. They medical red flagged Wetherholt and weren't taking him. They weren't taking Cags because they wanted an up the middle player and Griffin still isn't signed in Pittsburgh because his camp wants too much $$. Hagen Smith was an easy call in hindsight. 

With all due respect, that's not what yall were saying before the draft.  As for an up the middle player, I'm all for that, but the big get in today's trade wasn't that so how much of a priority is it?

I think the problem with today's trade comes down to the inclusion of Kopech.  It was like a throw in to make the trade fair for the Dodgers.  The trouble is that it was the Cardinals, not the White Sox, who hadn't contributed enough.  And relievers are going for sky high prices, so it's an opportunity lost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree with this. The trade sucks. They should have gotten a better centerpiece. But Vargas has a chance to be a solid offensive producer; I mean he’s got a 108 wRC+ this year. I haven’t looked, but imagine that’d be top 2 on the Sox easily. 

In a 30 game sample size. Being better than any current Sox hitter isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

In a 30 game sample size. Being better than any current Sox hitter isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either.

Yeah but he was a top 40 prospect last year, and he’s had over .400 OBP each of last three years in minors.

What bothers me is that he has hair on one side of his head but not the other, in his baseball ref pic. I mean, what the H?

image.jpeg

• Haha 3

it seemed like OK value to me when Noah Miller, superstar utilityman, was still in the equation. it still seems like OK value because I kinda like Vargas, but I like it less. It's just a weird trade. The Sox got back exclusively Dodgers players, so did the Dodgers prefer Kopech to Fedde? Or does Tommy Edman move the needle that much? First of all, I didn't even think he was playing baseball this year. Second, is he even still better than Vargas? Defensively, maybe, so is he moving Mookie off SS or taking Lux's spot? I think this is a dumber trade for the Dodgers than it is for the Sox. The Cards make out like kings. Who knows how those 19-year-olds will turn out, maybe the Sox are actually scouting players now. I never bought the propaganda that the Dodgers are better at scouting than every other team, it seems likely to me that they made a dumb trade to "win now".

1 hour ago, pmb0928 said:

I just cant believe that we couldnt get 1 player from the Cardinals. Last time we at least got the immortal Charlie Tilson.

On second thought maybe its better we didnt get someone from them. Charlie gave us -1,6 WAR in his career.

Lance 1 Dog Johnson

42 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The only thing that was added at the end of the reporting was a player to be named later or cash (from Dodgers).

My guess is that player is Noah Miller, who Bob originally reported as being part of the trade.  Sounds like a high end defensive SS with a very questionable bat.  He’s certainly a lottery ticket but a semi decent one and would make me feel a tiny bit about the trade.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My guess is that player is Noah Miller, who Bob originally reported as being part of the trade.  Sounds like a high end defensive SS with a very questionable bat.  He’s certainly a lottery ticket but a semi decent one and would make me feel a tiny bit about the trade.

Why would he have to be a PTBNL though?  My guess is they get cash instead.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe they have a few options and Miller is the way we be leaning.  Don’t know why Bob would otherwise report that specific name.

MLB.com says that it is a PTBNL OR cash from the Dodgers, so it could just be cash and not a player.

I just want to point out I predicted Kopech as a member of the Dodgers’ rotation by 2026 on a couple occasions a few months ago. Not sure how to search the forum in order to prove it, but I hope it is duly noted nonetheless

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

With all due respect, that's not what yall were saying before the draft.  As for an up the middle player, I'm all for that, but the big get in today's trade wasn't that so how much of a priority is it?

I think the problem with today's trade comes down to the inclusion of Kopech.  It was like a throw in to make the trade fair for the Dodgers.  The trouble is that it was the Cardinals, not the White Sox, who hadn't contributed enough.  And relievers are going for sky high prices, so it's an opportunity lost.

I feel like all I’ve read here for the past two months is how Kopech sucks, but now I’m reading how we should have gotten more for him. 

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I feel like all I’ve read here for the past two months is how Kopech sucks, but now I’m reading how we should have gotten more for him. 

Well, considering he hadn’t given up an earned run in July and only one hit in July; and considering the prices that teams are paying for relievers, yeah we should’ve gotten at least something for him. We got nothing for him.

Tanner Banks will likely be traded tomorrow. We’ll see if we get something for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

I just want to point out I predicted Kopech as a member of the Dodgers’ rotation by 2026 on a couple occasions a few months ago. Not sure how to search the forum in order to prove it, but I hope it is duly noted nonetheless

No gloating allowed until 2026, sir....but your prediction has been filed in the archives.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Well, considering he hadn’t given up an earned run in July and only one hit in July; and considering the prices that teams are paying for relievers, yeah we should’ve gotten at least something for him. We got nothing for him.

Tanner Banks will likely be traded tomorrow. We’ll see if we get something for him.

I doubt we get Perez without Kopech in the trade, so we didn’t get nothing. 

According to ESPN ratings,the Sox got a D on this trade, while the Cards were the big winners with an A and LA gota B+.  Once again looks like the Sox got the short end of  the stick once again.  We should have been able to get more for Fedde, Kopech and Pham proven major leaguers.

• Like 1

Passan: Competition. Teams are blanching at the prices for players now, but that is a consequence of a market with so few available who can provide instant impact. The return for Carlos Estevez and Jason Adam staggered GMs who were in search of relief pitching and emboldened those with it to stick to their initial asks -- and the game of chicken is thus on. But at the end of the day, contenders know they need more, teams subtracting need to take advantage of a fantastic dealers' market and the place in-between represents the deal zone.