Fedde/Pham/$ to STL, Kopech to LAD, Miguel Vargas + prospects to Sox

Heads22

I had avoided looking at any Getz quotes about the trade until now. He really thinks he did a great job added offensive talent via this trade, doesn't he? Unbelievable.

8 minutes ago, wegner said:

I had avoided looking at any Getz quotes about the trade until now. He really thinks he did a great job added offensive talent via this trade, doesn't he? Unbelievable.

I'm sure he's gotten knocked down a peg or two after seeing the industry reactions to the trade. 

• Like 2

If Vargas is an above average starting infielder over the next five years, then this will have been a pretty good trade, in my opinion. Don’t really know how good Vargas is, so it’s hard to say at this juncture. Looking at the secondary pieces, their rankings are pretty disappointing, but at least they are high OBP type guys and I suspect Perez may be currently underrated. Getz has obviously put an emphasis on acquiring prospects with advanced on base skills at their age, which is good

4 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

If Vargas is an above average starting infielder over the next five years, then this will have been a pretty good trade, in my opinion. Don’t really know how good Vargas is, so it’s hard to say at this juncture. Looking at the secondary pieces, their rankings are pretty disappointing, but at least they are high OBP type guys and I suspect Perez may be currently underrated. Getz has obviously put an emphasis on acquiring prospects with advanced on base skills at their age, which is good

Every article that I have read about this trade says that the return was just not enough, especially in a sellers market.

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

Every article that I have read about this trade says that the return was just not enough, especially in a sellers market.

Well yeah it doesn’t look great, but depends on how good Vargas actually is. If he is a high obp infielder with power, the Sox obviously can use that

13 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Now knowing that Vargas was a top 40 prospect going into last season, I'm not as pissed at this deal. 

The problem isn’t the player himself (assuming their evaluation is right), but that Getz paid for him like we was still a top 40 prospect with 6+ years of control.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2

Colas didn't have near the level of consensus that Vargas had from evaluators and also has little track record of good play. Colas has only tanked his value since his high watermark in the rankings. Vargas had a tough run in MLB, then killed AAA pitching, and has held his own in a second cup of coffee in MLB. And is younger with more positional versatility and by all accounts, doesn't have s%*# for brains like Colas.

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

Colas didn't have near the level of consensus that Vargas had from evaluators and also has little track record of good play. Colas has only tanked his value since his high watermark in the rankings. Vargas had a tough run in MLB, then killed AAA pitching, and has held his own in a second cup of coffee in MLB. And is younger with more positional versatility and by all accounts, doesn't have s%*# for brains like Colas.

He didn’t really his own in the majors this year though.  That wRC+ is a total mirage if you believe the Statcast data.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

He didn’t really his own in the majors this year though.  That wRC+ is a total mirage if you believe the Statcast data.

The difference between his actual and expected production in '24 is not enough for me to strongly discount it in such a small sample size. Especially given his high pull rate this season, which tends to be a ticket for outperforming your expected stats.

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

SD gave up Snelling, Pauley, Mazur & Beshears for Scott and Hoeing.. and the Sox still have Crochet because...?

Probably because Getz saw all the ridicule from the Fedde trade and is now going to overreact in the opposite direction.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 1:17 PM, southsider2k5 said:

So do I have permission to question Chris Getz ability as a GM now?

Chris is an eedyat-savant you guys just don't understand him. That worst record thingy is just to throw the opposition off. 

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

2B seems pretty likely…

Why? Have you heard anything? He didn’t play there all year in AAA. He is exceptionally bad at 2b. I hope to Odin that they’re not that stupid.