Trevor Rodgers to BAL

Just now, Jake said:

If you want to say Kopech was traded for the two 19 year olds, then holy crap what a deal, maybe Getz really knows what he's doing!

Not when the other half of the trade is poor in comparison, and when compared to the return for a mediocre starter in Rogers.

Norby or Vargas is up for debate, but the Marlins also received an interesting lefty OF bat in Stowers.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Not when the other half of the trade is poor in comparison, and when compared to the return for a mediocre starter in Rogers.

Norby or Vargas is up for debate, but the Marlins also received an interesting lefty OF bat in Stowers.

Maybe the preference was to get younger players for the future as they won't ne competitive for a couple years. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Can someone name one guy who hasn't hit somewhere else, who then came to the White Sox and raked in the last 10 years.? Kory Lee? His OPS is almost under .600.

I was going to say Carlos Quentin but he actually hit well in limited at bats with the D-backs in his rookie season.  The talent was likely always there and he would have hit with the D-backs as well had he not been traded to the Sox after only two seasons with Arizona.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Can someone name one guy who hasn't hit somewhere else, who then came to the White Sox and raked in the last 10 years.? Kory Lee? His OPS is almost under .600.

Honestly the last guy I've got is Carlos Quentin..

• Fire 1

I'm not defending the Fedde trade, I was convinced the reporters were all wrong for like 2 hours after it was reported. 

But if Fedde was worth a backend top 100 guy and another prospect outside the top 100, they traded him for Vargas (a guy who was #40 a year ago) and probably is valued by the Sox/others as a backend top 100 guy right now and instead of a second guy, they got two 19 year olds they liked.  

The deal looks bad because they gave up Kopech and Pham and Cardinals weirdly only gave up Edman etc.   If they sent over like Victor Scott or someone or if they didn't trade Kopech and got another lotto ticket, I think everyone would say it was in line with our expectations.  

I also KNOW that if Getz traded for Kyle Stowers, the same people in this thread would be flipping out that we took on a guy turning 27.

But yes, that wasn't a good deal and one would think Fedde's package would be clearly better than the Rogers package but I admit its closer than it should be.   Orioles probably paid a little more because they were running out of guys they could afford with the players they wanted to move. 

3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I'm not defending the Fedde trade, I was convinced the reporters were all wrong for like 2 hours after it was reported. 

But if Fedde was worth a backend top 100 guy and another prospect outside the top 100, they traded him for Vargas (a guy who was #40 a year ago) and probably is valued by the Sox/others as a backend top 100 guy right now and instead of a second guy, they got two 19 year olds they liked.  

The deal looks bad because they gave up Kopech and Pham and Cardinals weirdly only gave up Edman etc.   If they sent over like Victor Scott or someone or if they didn't trade Kopech and got another lotto ticket, I think everyone would say it was in line with our expectations.  

I also KNOW that if Getz traded for Kyle Stowers, the same people in this thread would be flipping out that we took on a guy turning 27.

But yes, that wasn't a good deal and one would think Fedde's package would be clearly better than the Rogers package but I admit its closer than it should be.   Orioles probably paid a little more because they were running out of guys they could afford with the players they wanted to move. 

I am not nearly as hung up on age as I am control.

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Definitely.  Getz still should have done better though.

Agreed just trying to figure out why they may take one package over another 

Edited by ptatc

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am not nearly as hung up on age as I am control.

There's a certain age where it begins to interfere with me caring about control. So I'll say in general that I can't value the many years of control of a 27 year old very highly because of my concern that even if a player "turns out," he has high risk of collapsing by age 30 or so. Probably moreso for a hitter than pitcher although pitchers can imminently self-destruct regardless of age...

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Does Adam Eaton round 1 count

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Does Adam Eaton round 1 count

Yes he would. Good call. That was 10 years ago. Quentin was 16 years ago. The World Series was 19 years ago.

For the love of God JR, if you don't want to sell the team, at least give up control. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I was going to say Carlos Quentin but he actually hit well in limited at bats with the D-backs in his rookie season.  The talent was likely always there and he would have hit with the D-backs as well had he not been traded to the Sox after only two seasons with Arizona.

15 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Honestly the last guy I've got is Carlos Quentin..

That's over 10 years ago lol

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Maybe the preference was to get younger players for the future as they won't ne competitive for a couple years. 

Explain Vargas as the headliner then?  

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

James McCann (?)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Explain Vargas as the headliner then?  

He got one for now but two for later as opposed to 2 that are ready now as with the other trade.

You can do multiple goals at once. It doesn't have to be all now or all later. He split it in this case.

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

That's over 10 years ago lol

That was a damn good trade, and all it cost was Chris Carter.  Anyone remember when Quentin was in the running for MVP and broke his hand when he slapped the nub of his bat?

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There's another, and he's even better because he couldn't hit before he got here or after he left. 

It's that White Sox Midas touch!