Trevor Rodgers to BAL

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That was a damn good trade, and all it cost was Chris Carter.  Anyone remember when Quentin was in the running for MVP and broke his hand when he slapped the nub of his bat?

More white sox weird injuries.

31 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I'm not defending the Fedde trade, I was convinced the reporters were all wrong for like 2 hours after it was reported. 

But if Fedde was worth a backend top 100 guy and another prospect outside the top 100, they traded him for Vargas (a guy who was #40 a year ago) and probably is valued by the Sox/others as a backend top 100 guy right now and instead of a second guy, they got two 19 year olds they liked.  

The deal looks bad because they gave up Kopech and Pham and Cardinals weirdly only gave up Edman etc.   If they sent over like Victor Scott or someone or if they didn't trade Kopech and got another lotto ticket, I think everyone would say it was in line with our expectations.  

I also KNOW that if Getz traded for Kyle Stowers, the same people in this thread would be flipping out that we took on a guy turning 27.

But yes, that wasn't a good deal and one would think Fedde's package would be clearly better than the Rogers package but I admit its closer than it should be.   Orioles probably paid a little more because they were running out of guys they could afford with the players they wanted to move. 

I think the, they gave up Kopech and Pham needs to get levelized a bit.  Pham wasn't going to get you much. He's a veteran leader who was a waiver pick-up and he's put up negative WAR. He has good grit and has been better than the rest of the Sox garbage, but he's still one of the last 2 guys on the roster - no one is giving up much for him at all. This was more of - we are moving you to a contender and maybe you got some iterative value.

Kopech is a guy with a great arm and one year of control left - but he isn't super cheap either as he'll likely get a raise of some sort.  I think getting 1.5 intriguing guys is probably right for him which means .5 of the 19 year old goes to Fedde plus Vargas.  

In my mind - that means Fedde is a bit of an underpay - but that is depending on how Sox rate Vargas. If they still think he is that top 40 type player who was roster squeezed - than they will end up looking pretty smart in this deal. I actually think there is a chance the Dodgers look the worst in this - as if the SS never regains form from injury, they basically get Kopech for 3 guys at that point.  Cards did well in my mind - no denying that.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think the, they gave up Kopech and Pham needs to get levelized a bit.  Pham wasn't going to get you much. He's a veteran leader who was a waiver pick-up and he's put up negative WAR. He has good grit and has been better than the rest of the Sox garbage, but he's still one of the last 2 guys on the roster - no one is giving up much for him at all. This was more of - we are moving you to a contender and maybe you got some iterative value.

Kopech is a guy with a great arm and one year of control left - but he isn't super cheap either as he'll likely get a raise of some sort.  I think getting 1.5 intriguing guys is probably right for him which means .5 of the 19 year old goes to Fedde plus Vargas.  

In my mind - that means Fedde is a bit of an underpay - but that is depending on how Sox rate Vargas. If they still think he is that top 40 type player who was roster squeezed - than they will end up looking pretty smart in this deal. I actually think there is a chance the Dodgers look the worst in this - as if the SS never regains form from injury, they basically get Kopech for 3 guys at that point.  Cards did well in my mind - no denying that.  

I pretty much agree with this.  I think the Dodgers are not getting enough criticism.  To me, they look like idiots along with the Sox.