DeJong to KC for MiLBer Jarold Rosado

Jake

I assume Rosado had an injury shortly after his signing and then flopped upon his return as a starter. Hard to complain about his debut as a reliever. Old for the level but has minimal experience so it's not like it's a guy who has needed 200 innings to solve low-A.

Just now, PaleAleSox said:

No. In what world are you getting a real prospect for Paul Dejong? Why would you even think that's possible? 

DeJong was worthless, we should be happy they got anything at all here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, PaleAleSox said:

No. In what world are you getting a real prospect for Paul Dejong? Why would you even think that's possible? 

he's a decent starting player. you should be able to get more than just a reliever for that. Even like an 18 year old position player would be better.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I will need to adjust my pre-season projection now that we are trading all of our best players.

lol it was a bit lofty I admit 

7 minutes ago, Jake said:

22 year old righty reliever dominating low-A. Okay, whatever

He's 68th in K/9 in the Carolina League among pitchers who have faced at least 100 batters. He has a good ERA, but hardly dominating.

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’m all for trashing the Sox/Getz…but a DeJong trade isn’t a valid reason for it. Any warm body for DeJong is sufficient value

Basically. He's DFA worthy if not for a little pop in his bat.

4 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

If you are going to be mad about what the return was for Dejong then I think you need to go take a walk around the block and clear your head. 

When Sox fans were told all year that we were benching kids so that we could build trade value for these guys, the return is everything.  I know that we weren't expecting much, but FFS why did we waste a year of playing him then?

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

he's a decent starting player. you should be able to get more than just a reliever for that. Even like an 18 year old position player would be better.

DeJong has .2 WAR.. What statwould you like to use to justify he's decent?

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

But hes not a decent starting player. Hes a sub 1 WAR player.

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

After the media hyped up the Sox as a team with several trade assets to deal at the deadline, Getz is going to come away with one mediocre bat with no glove to plug into the lineup.  Hilarious.

I don't think the goal was to improve this year.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

When Sox fans were told all year that we were benching kids so that we could build trade value for these guys, the return is everything.  I know that we weren't expecting much, but FFS why did we waste a year of playing him then?

The problem was it was Paul Dejong to begin with. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

DeJong has .2 WAR.. What statwould you like to use to justify he's decent?

He has .9 fWAR and a wRC+ of 95. If you move him to 2B or 3B he immediately gets more valuable. I'm not saying he's a star, I'm not even saying he's a solid regular, but he's not a bum and you should be able to get more than just a guy that is like a player creator reliever that doesn't even have a real avatar.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I don’t know, the Sox did target Jordan Walker of the Cardinals and then grabbed Vargas instead.  Both players that you would plug into the lineup right after you acquire them.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Really? Thy won 61 games last year, and can only pick as high as 10. Historically awful was the goal? We were told they cannot waste a year.

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, Jake said:

I assume Rosado had an injury shortly after his signing and then flopped upon his return as a starter. Hard to complain about his debut as a reliever. Old for the level but has minimal experience so it's not like it's a guy who has needed 200 innings to solve low-A.

Rosado signed with the Royals out of the Dominican Republic in 2020. He missed the entire 2022 season due to injury, then struggled in his return last season. He appeared in 15 games for the Surprise Royals last season, pitching to a 10.38 ERA with 23 walks in 25 innings. The strikeout stuff offers some potential, however. Last season he struck out 12.1 batters per nine innings and he’s replicated that exact number again this season. What hasn’t been replicated this season has been the walk rate. 

Now with Low-A Columbia, Rosado has walked just four hitters in 23.0 IP this season. He owns a 2.74 ERA. His 2.21 FIP doesn’t show any sign of regression on the horizon, but he does work around a fair number of hits in each outing. Rosado throws a fastball, slider, and a changeup and has worked out of the bullpen in a late-inning role this season.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To try to build up trade value. Unfortunately,  the players did not hold up their end of the bargain.

I partially wonder if trading him means less paper work. The HR guy was in Getz's office and said I'm up to my ass in paper work with the other 15 guys we need to get rid of just trade someone so I can leave early on Friday.

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I don’t know, the Sox did target Jordan Walker of the Cardinals and then grabbed Vargas instead.

Yes, but then took 19 year olds for the rest of the trade. They may look at a couple for now players, but the focus is too improve for the up coming years.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He has .9 fWAR and a wRC+ of 95. If you move him to 2B or 3B he immediately gets more valuable. I'm not saying he's a star, I'm not even saying he's a solid regular, but he's not a bum and you should be able to get more than just a guy that is like a player creator reliever that doesn't even have a real avatar.

You been watching recently? He stinks at 3B.