DeJong to KC for MiLBer Jarold Rosado

Jake

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yes, but then took 19 year olds for the rest of the trade. They may look at a couple for now players, but the focus is too improve for the up coming years.

Sure, they took what they could get, but Vargas was the headliner.  Just like Walker would have been the headliner if St. Louis was willing to give him up.  Those 19 year olds may not be ready for 4 to 5 years, if ever.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

The best part about this is just getting Dejong out of the way.  There was zero reason to continue to play him.  He was going to be on waivers tomorrow, so getting a guy that maybe becomes a major league reliever some day is fine.  Certainly not exciting, but if anyone was expecting exciting for a guy released 2x last season, they're bound to be disappointed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

My expectations were low, but holy f***. A minor league RELIEVER? We couldn't even get a real prospect?

I don't get it - Fedde was at least a #2/#3 starter or was pitching like one (FIP devalued him a bit but still a legit #3 at minimum).  DeJong is a utility guy who can step in and start if someone is hurt but that is it.  Getting a flyer which is what they got is all we should expect.  Heck - if it were me, I Would have been trying to find international slot and / or draft picks where I could because I think in today's market teams are kind of undervaluing those vs. existing talent (call it time value - one is already here, the other is soon to be here).  

Paul DeJong played like...Paul DeJong this season.  He was pretty much what we expected, except he was not as good defensively.  It's sad that he was the leader in HRs for the team considering there are other players named Vaughn, Robert, Jimenez, and Moncada that SHOULD have hit more HRs.  Obviously there were injuries, but there was also piss-poor performance.

8 minutes ago, T R U said:

DeJong was worthless, we should be happy they got anything at all here.

The return is minimal.

Hard to get excited about the move period. We should have used his roster spot for someone who was more high upside. Like for example the Cardinals are trying to move Carlson why wasn't he part of the deal. He'd almost be given away at this point he'd be a nice reclamation target.

The return for 2024 DeJong in a vacuum is fine. He sucks, so the return is in line with that IMO.

But what the hell was the point? What purpose did he serve? That's what's baffling to me after this trade.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Really? Thy won 61 games last year, and can only pick as high as 10. Historically awful was the goal? We were told they cannot waste a year.

I think we were told they wanted a quicker not prolonged turn around. I don't think anyone thought it would be this year.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He has .9 fWAR and a wRC+ of 95. If you move him to 2B or 3B he immediately gets more valuable. I'm not saying he's a star, I'm not even saying he's a solid regular, but he's not a bum and you should be able to get more than just a guy that is like a player creator reliever that doesn't even have a real avatar.

As a reference, the Cardinals traded a rental player last season, who had a similar OPS as Paul DeJong this year, for a MiLB reliever. The player? Paul DeJong. You weren't getting better than he brought back last year.

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

The return is minimal.

Hard to get excited about the move period. We should have used his roster spot for someone who was more high upside. Like for example the Cardinals are trying to move Carlson why wasn't he part of the deal. He'd almost be given away at this point he'd be a nice reclamation target.

What move are you referring to?

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Huh?!?  DeJong is having his best season since he was an All-Star five years ago in 2019.

I think they signed him with a hope for more. Didn't work. But at least they got an arm they may be useful. 

Finding anyone who can actually suite up and play a MLB SS is a challenge. Dejong did it, albeit poorly, but he still did it. There's not a lot out there you can acquire and have any confidence they're even capable at taking the field at short. A WRc+of 95 at SS is still worth something, it should have been worth more than the equivalent of a MiLB free agent signing. 

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Huh?!?  DeJong is having his best season since he was an All-Star five years ago in 2019.

Actually he was better in St Louis last season than hes been here all year.

.233 / .297 / .710 with 13 HRs in 81 games.

I'm not too mad about how this worked out, but part of the reason I wasn't enthused about DeJong is I never thought the signing had much more upside than this. He has never been a great player, he has flaws and continued to have those limitations in spite of rebuilding his value with the Sox. I'm not sure who else was out there and how they turned out, but my preferred reclamation projects are guys with something a little more substantial to reclaim

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sure, they took what they could get, but Vargas was the headliner.  Just like Walker would have been the headliner if St. Louis was willing to give him up.  Those 19 year olds may not be ready for 4 to 5 years, if ever.

True. That's probably why it worked out the way it did. Just like any other prospects, hopefully they will be MLB ready eventually. Keith Law said in 3 years for perez.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I think we were told they wanted a quicker not prolonged turn around. I don't think anyone thought it would be this year.

Lopez, DeJong, Pham, they all performed about as expected or even slightly better. Maldonaldo was about what everyone thought except the Wihite Sox. Brebbia was injured, and probably a bit worse. All these guys that took time from kids was useless and a waste. A waste of a year.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think they signed him with a hope for more. Didn't work. But at least they got an arm they may be useful. 

If that’s the case, Getz was expecting far too much from him.  Like I said, DeJong has had one truly good season and that was 5 years ago.  His career line is:

.229 .296 .419 .715

If he was truly expecting breakout seasons from some of his acquisitions, he acquired the wrong guys.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I don’t know, the Sox did target Jordan Walker of the Cardinals and then grabbed Vargas instead.  Both players that you would plug into the lineup right after you acquire them.

Certainly don't feel like build for the future acquisitions to me.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

If that’s the case, Getz was expecting far too much from him.  Like I said, DeJong has had one truly good season and that was 5 years ago.  His career line is 

.229 .296 .419 .715

Could be. They needed someone to play and the kids in the minors weren't ready so someone had to. May as well take a shot.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What move are you referring to?

The earlier 3 team trade between the Cardinals and Dodgers.

We constantly bring in low ceiling trash and waste time when we should be bringing in high upside guys that have failed elsewhere that have control. If they develop into something they can be moved later and if not well they aren't going to cost much.

Dejong was never going to be good. He had no control. He had no potential value at the deadline it was a wasted roster spot.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Lopez, DeJong, Pham, they all performed about as expected or even slightly better. Maldonaldo was about what everyone thought except the Wihite Sox. Brebbia was injured, and probably a bit worse. All these guys that took time from kids was useless and a waste. A waste of a year.

We knew it would be a wasted year. Someone had to play since the milb players weren't ready.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Wasting ABs that could have gone to literally any other IF prospect is a thing.

Not if they didn't think they were ready.