DeJong to KC for MiLBer Jarold Rosado

Jake

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

I'm not too mad about how this worked out, but part of the reason I wasn't enthused about DeJong is I never thought the signing had much more upside than this. He has never been a great player, he has flaws and continued to have those limitations in spite of rebuilding his value with the Sox. I'm not sure who else was out there and how they turned out, but my preferred reclamation projects are guys with something a little more substantial to reclaim

They clearly signed this guy as cheap placeholder for Montgomery.  He wasn’t intended to be someone who would return a lot once moved and his $1.75M salary reflects that.  I’ve been a huge critic of Getz, in particular how he’s wasted considerable at-bats on low upside or bad players, but I can’t criticize the DeJong signing or this particular trade.

• Like 1

I think people need to remember that there is no way they thought this season would go this far off the rails and made a lot of these trades/signings in the off season because they thought they were closer to competing than losing 100 games again with a few changes to the roster.

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

The earlier 3 team trade between the Cardinals and Dodgers.

We constantly bring in low ceiling trash and waste time when we should be bringing in high upside guys that have failed elsewhere that have control. If they develop into something they can be moved later and if not well they aren't going to cost much.

Dejong was never going to be good. He had no control. He had no potential value at the deadline it was a wasted roster spot.

DeJong was intended to be short-term placeholder for Montgomery and he was paid like it.  Your beef should be with Nicky Lopez not Paul DeJong.

At one point, they thought Sosa was ready. They thought Ramos was ready. What makes DeJong and Lopez more special than Romy Gonzalez? 

The problem is, the White Sox front office is as overmatched as their manager and coaching staff, and their roster.

Colas isn't playing but Pham is. If you aren't going to get anything for Pham why sign him or why trade him? Why play Eloy any more? Why not let the younger OFs play a little and DH. Let Eloy go and let him find a team for the minimum. Do the same with Moncada, unless he would rather be done rehabbing first.  But they won't

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, ptatc said:

Not if they didn't think they were ready.

It's a great job if you can get it. 

-Don't develop the guys you already have

-Sign guys who suck

-Trade them for guys you can't develop, or who will never be good

-Cry poor because no one wants to watch this

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

21 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

he's a decent starting player. you should be able to get more than just a reliever for that. Even like an 18 year old position player would be better.

A decent starting player on the worst team of all time. It's like being the tallest midget. 

If we had an entire roster of his level we'd only by 5 games under .500 at this point.

Move the body.  

• Like 1

I think the main reasons they signed DeJong are:

1. Hoped to flip him at deadline

2. Someone they wouldn't mind benching/moving/trading if Montgomery played well enough to get to MLB

3. Try to make sure they field a roster that wouldn't be historically bad

Of course, it's hard to be too upset about the DeJong parts of the equation all things considered.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's a great job if you can get it. 

-Don't develop the guys you already have

-Sign guys who suck

-Trade them for guys you can't develop, or who will never be good

-Cry poor because no one wants to watch this

You can't develop them in the minors? If they didn't think they were ready for the MLB, they would be hurting their development. 

Edited by ptatc

Just now, Jake said:

2. Someone they wouldn't mind benching/moving/trading if Montgomery played well enough to get to MLB

Of course, it's hard to be too upset about the DeJong parts of the equation all things considered.

Its very clearly #2. I guarantee you they went into this season thinking DeJong could be passable until Montgomery was ready in the second half.

DeJong was never a legit flip candidate, and I am sure they never expected to have him out there as much as he was.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

At one point, they thought Sosa was ready. They thought Ramos was ready. What makes DeJong and Lopez more special than Romy Gonzalez? 

The problem is, the White Sox front office is as overmatched as their manager and coaching staff, and their roster.

I’ll give DeJong credit, he’s the one position player who has outperformed Romy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Singing him to flip at the deadline doesn't make sense. he was flipped at the deadline last year for about the same return. Then released twice. He is who he is. Maybe he runs into one at the right time with the Royals at some point, but he isn't going to help them, and the Sox return shows they and the Royals know that.

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Its very clearly #2. I guarantee you they went into this season thinking DeJong could be passable until Montgomery was ready in the second half.

DeJong was never a legit flip candidate, and I am sure they never expected to have him out there as much as he was.

If he was never a flip candidate, he should have been cut when Lenyn Sosa was sent back to the minors this last time.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If he was never a flip candidate, he should have been cut when Lenyn Sosa was sent back to the minors this last time.

Yes he should have. There are a lot of things that should have happened this season that haven't. It's incredible to me they are just rolling along like it's no big deal what's happening here.

The problem with this trade is that Nicky Lopez is the only IF we have that can play SS, so we're going to have to look at him every effing night.   I guess it's happening now, but I was hoping that they would just DFA after 6PM EDT (along with Eloy, Sheets, et al).

Just now, GreenSox said:

The problem with this trade is that Nicky Lopez is the only IF we have that can play SS, so we're going to have to look at him every effing night.   I guess it's happening now, but I was hoping that they would just DFA after 6PM EDT (along with Eloy, Sheets, et al).

Brooks Baldwin is a SS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, T R U said:

I think people need to remember that there is no way they thought this season would go this far off the rails and made a lot of these trades/signings in the off season because they thought they were closer to competing than losing 100 games again with a few changes to the roster.

That is half the problem the FO and owner actually thought this team was anywhere near challenging.