Eloy to Baltimore

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I was doing that as well.  I seem to remember Hahn burning $33 million or so on garbage during the failed Machado offseason.

Lets make a thread.

11 hours ago, Rolle Tide said:

My guess is it’s some portion of the $3 million dollar buyout. Half?

Thank you for your participation watching the demise of our franchise as the fans desperately clawed at the Orioles prospects while the O's continued to  make smart baseball decisions until now . Never bring over a cursed player from a loser franchise.

I'll say I'm sorry for the current group of Os fans that they will  never see a Championship with all your wonderful position player prosects but thank you and your franchise for throwing the Sox a bone even though you have unwittingly doomed yourselves.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

15 hours ago, The Beast said:

That all makes sense. I both can and can’t see them just filling the roster with cheap veteran players to field a team next year. I guess it depends on if the theory JR is just getting ready to sell holds true. I’m hoping there will be more flip able and Fedde types signing but I’m not holding my breath. They probably need a reset with Crochet and Robert moves since they aren’t offering extensions to either of them and then we can evaluate where there needs are from the minors, something that isn’t quite clear with the trade “returns” we had today and tomorrow. Not just every need (like a competent GM which is wishful thinking or a new manager, an obvious and realistic need) but where our greatest player needs are all things considered.

If you see the Sox spend anything next year it'll just be an upgrade from $1- $5M slugs to $6-12M slugs. That won't make them any more likely to succeed . It's just more expensive window dressing picked by a guy handpicked to fail by our magnanimous owner. Unless JR fires Getz to make it appear he's not happy about the terrible reason. But JR is usually loyal to his pets.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rolle Tide said:

My guess is it’s some portion of the $3 million dollar buyout. Half?

If the Sox only sent $1.5M of the $7.5M owed to Eloy, that's a pretty darn good deal for the Sox (well, their owner). 

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What purpose does he serve on that team? Platoon DH?

Oh I got it ! I got it ! Eloy is an experiment. If their development people can raise Eloy from the dead and change his stance, make him hit fly balls and keep him healthier they will know they are bathing in the light of the goodness of the baseball gods.

It's just too bad the gods frown upon being tested in such a way . It's a sign you are getting greedy ,tempting your fate and they shall suffer for it.

16 hours ago, Wickel said:

What the hell is wrong with Getz? Does he think this is a kid's game? He's gutting our team and getting absolutely squat in return. This is what happens when you hire a front office person in what was then the worst team in baseball. Wake up Reinsdork! Send Getz and Grifol packing before we end up with a "Rookie League" team. Jeez!!!!!

Oh you poor diluted soul.You actually are pretending Jerry cares .That's adorable.

In a twisted way it makes me thinkk JR is ill and the countdown has begun to The big sell. US Sellular Field.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

Eloy hadn't hit a homerun in his previous 36 games. He also can't run or field.

Addition by subtraction here.

Yep. Whatever money saved (including the buyout for next year, though small) is a win. Heck, I don't think anywhere thought there was a chance in hell that he was getting moved.

16 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

At this point, a $100M 2025 payroll would require significant additions in the offseason.

Yes it would which is why I don't believe it. Unless of course JR is eyeing Benintendi and Roberts remaining contract obligation as obstacles. We shall see if JR lengthens or shortens his leash on Getz the Pet.

I suspect JR to do just enough to avoid getting on Manfred's radar so something similar to this year, maybe 1 or 2 better contracts than Fedde got this year. Nothing longer than 2 years.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

There were some on X upset that so many people were happy Eloy is gone.  The guy was injured all the time, didn't take the game seriously, was a complete oaf in the field, and hit the ball into the ground 73% of the time.  I don't know if he was literally fragile or his lack of preparation led to his injuries, but he has essentially useless for a long time.  Good riddance, addition by subtraction, etc.

I can't wait for him to hit a HR for Baltimore and people start crying that he's fixed.  For him to ultimately get better, a change of scenery won't do it.  He needs a change of mindset.  Stop clowning around, stay fit, and listen to the coaches.

Westburg broke his hand.  Please oh please put Moncada on waivers so maybe Baltimore can claim him—Eloy misses his friend already.  Such a great duo to have on your team!!

6 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Westburg broke his hand.  Please oh please put Moncada on waivers so maybe Baltimore can claim him—Eloy misses his friend already.  Such a great duo to have on your team!!

I was thinking Nicky Lopez to at least be a bench piece.