Eloy to Baltimore

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The White Sox have $50 million in payroll obligations for next year as it stands today.  They have $0 for 2026 and beyond.  They quite literally have a payroll of somewhere between $65 and $70 million for next season as it would stand today after cutting guys like Moncada and adding in minimum salaries everywhere.  They might be losing money this year, but they are not going to lose money next year as it stands right now.  That is an outright lie.

That all makes sense. I both can and can’t see them just filling the roster with cheap veteran players to field a team next year. I guess it depends on if the theory JR is just getting ready to sell holds true. I’m hoping there will be more flip able and Fedde types signing but I’m not holding my breath. They probably need a reset with Crochet and Robert moves since they aren’t offering extensions to either of them and then we can evaluate where there needs are from the minors, something that isn’t quite clear with the trade “returns” we had today and tomorrow. Not just every need (like a competent GM which is wishful thinking or a new manager, an obvious and realistic need) but where our greatest player needs are all things considered.

33 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Yeah, they'd have to sign a decent amount of free agents to get to 100.

This might not even happen—counting on free agents to even sign to play here.  Shoot—even the guys who HAVE agreed to play here don’t actually PLAY here (Moncada, Eloy, Robert etc).  I’d be really cautious if a FA did agree to play here—either we drastically overpaid, something is wrong with him, or as in 10D’s case, both.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, FT35 said:

This might not even happen—counting on free agents to even sign to play here.  Shoot—even the guys who HAVE agreed to play here don’t actually PLAY here (Moncada, Eloy, Robert etc).  I’d be really cautious if a FA did agree to play here—either we drastically overpaid, something is wrong with him, or as in 10D’s case, both.  

Then the Sox need to morph to become the Rays or end up like the Pirates.

34 minutes ago, Jake said:

One way to save money is to not light $4.5M on fire by giving it to the likes of Martin Maldonado

Seriously! How many millions did Hahn I mean Getz burn on the fringes this year?

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

For rest of year, you gotta go:

1B: Vaughn

DH: Sheets

RF: Colas

LF: Fletcher

Bench Benintendi

Sheets shouldn’t even be at DH.  If he has has options, send him down.  Or DFA him.  I don’t really care.  He’s has proven himself to be worthless over the years.  Since Benintendi “has” to play due to his contract, DH his sorry ass.

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Seriously! How many millions did Hahn I mean Getz burn on the fringes this year?

Around $25 million dollars, or Bryce Harper’s annual salary.  And this happens almost every year from my memory, but I’d have to look back and do the math.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sheets shouldn’t even be at DH.  If he has has options, send him down.  Or DFA him.  I don’t really care.  He’s has proven himself to be worthless over the years.  Since Benintendi “has” to play due to his contract, DH his sorry ass.

DeLoach then

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Around $25 million dollars, or Bryce Harper’s annual salary.  And this happens almost every year from my memory, but I’d have to look back and do the math.

I actually started a project where I was identifying how much bad money the Sox spent each season of Harper’s deal ($26M annually) and I quit after like 3 years. It got depressing fast.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

I actually started a project where I was identifying how much bad money the Sox spent each season of Harper’s deal ($26M annually) and I quit after like 3 years. It got depressing fast.

I was doing that as well.  I seem to remember Hahn burning $33 million or so on garbage during the failed Machado offseason.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

That all makes sense. I both can and can’t see them just filling the roster with cheap veteran players to field a team next year. I guess it depends on if the theory JR is just getting ready to sell holds true. I’m hoping there will be more flip able and Fedde types signing but I’m not holding my breath. They probably need a reset with Crochet and Robert moves since they aren’t offering extensions to either of them and then we can evaluate where there needs are from the minors, something that isn’t quite clear with the trade “returns” we had today and tomorrow. Not just every need (like a competent GM which is wishful thinking or a new manager, an obvious and realistic need) but where our greatest player needs are all things considered.

6 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Haven’t the Sox gotten enough money in this fire sale already?  What we need are prospects, not a salary dump.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

Then the Sox need to morph to become the Rays or end up like the Pirates.

They are morphing into the Miami Marlins.  Should change the name to the Chicago Journeymen Sox.

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Can’t manage to trade your two best assets for anything and get back an underwhelming return for Fedde, but Getz and the Sox damn sure know how to shed some money.

This fire sale is just a salary dump.

2 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Not gonna pick up next year’s option and traded him for a bag of foul line chalk. Logical. 

We would have to see the financials of the trade, but I would assume the Sox ended up dumping a little of Eloy’s remaining $13 million dollar salary for this year, and may have entirely avoided having to pay Eloy’s $3 million dollar buyout.  Let’s be honest, there was no way the Sox were going to pay Eloy his $16.5 million dollar option for next season.  Unless Eloy gets hotter than s%*#, the Orioles probably won’t either and will give him the $3 million dollar buyout.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Just an unmitigated disaster.

Now only waiting for either Crochet, our 1-5 or Schultz to go down with UCLs and Robert to get injured seriously a third or is it fourth time?

They better make Moncada play down the stretch simply as a punishment. Might as well withhold his salary and trigger a grievance from the MLBPA.

I love WSDave's article. Best, most honest interpretation of what's going on.

As I've said a few times. Getz and the Sox were like a crackhead trying to sell expensive items stolen to support their addiction going from pawn shop to pawn shop getting low balled everywhere.

And if true passed up deals in their own division for no apparent reason.

• Like 1