Grade Getz’s 1st Trade Deadline!

To steal a line from shameless:

F. F? As in fail? F as in fucked!

I'm all for using holding the big pieces if the right offer wasn't there, but I'm not confident in Getz being the right person to extract maximum surplus value out of the few sparse assets we have. I think you need to start putting way more value on bats come draft day. It's clear there is a premium on controllable bats and we are seriously deficient without having a believable path to at least being mediocre on the offensive side.

• Like 2

Probably C or C-.  

When all is said and done, the top four pitchers available were Skubal, Crochet, Flaherty, Fedde.  Flaherty and Fedde got dealt for packages that were kind of underwhelming.  The other two didn't get dealt.   Baltimore stayed in their "budget" and got two SPs with eras in the 4's.  Cubs obviously didn't get any good offers for Taillon.  Seems like teams only paid for RPs.

We were looking for offensive prospects.  Who were the best offensive prospects dealt?  Not many. 

Didn't seem like the market matched up with what we wanted to do.  

That being said, the Fedde deal is weird and doesn't make sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

D.

The Banks trade saved it from an F.

Agreed.  I had Getz’s offseason as a D, which was only saved from an F due to the Fedde signing.  I was then going to give him an F for the trade deadline because he failed to extract good value out of Fedde (plus Kopech).  However, the Banks trade bumped my trade deadline grade for Getz up to a D.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Probably C or C-.  

When all is said and done, the top four pitchers available were Skubal, Crochet, Flaherty, Fedde.  Flaherty and Fedde got dealt for packages that were kind of underwhelming.  The other two didn't get dealt.   Baltimore stayed in their "budget" and got two SPs with eras in the 4's.  Cubs obviously didn't get any good offers for Taillon.  Seems like teams only paid for RPs.

We were looking for offensive prospects.  Who were the best offensive prospects dealt?  Not many. 

Didn't seem like the market matched up with what we wanted to do.  

That being said, the Fedde deal is weird and doesn't make sense.

I doubt the Cubs were ever going to trade Taillon.  They acquired an All-Star 3B to build for the future so dealing Taillon wouldn’t have made sense.

I think the fedde deal was fine. Not selling crochet and Robert is a risk though albeit I understand he didn't want to sell low.

Now shut down crochet immediately for the season to eliminate risk of injury or performance decline, hope for a robert bounce back in the second half and then sell them for a good price in the off season.

Babies first poopy!

D - not feeling the future at all with this organization.  It’s sad to be staring at the possibility of three or even four straight 100 loss seasons with a owner and front office that don’t care or don’t know what they are doing, or both.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think the fedde deal was fine. Not selling crochet and Robert is a risk though albeit I understand he didn't want to sell low.

Now shut down crochet immediately for the season to eliminate risk of injury or performance decline, hope for a robert bounce back in the second half and then sell them for a good price in the off season.

Crochet can start every Saturday and go three innings. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

C, Ok trade for fedde. Dejong meh.

Fedde has been worth 4.7 bWAR thus far this season.  Kopech and his 0.4 bWAR were attached to that trade as well, so the Sox gave up over 5 WAR in that deal.

You actually were okay with the Fedde trade but are a bit disappointed that 0.2 bWAR DeJong didn’t net a better return?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

A -Signing and flipping Fedde & Pham, moving on from Kopech - (2) - 19-year-old solid bats, (Perez was in future games), 24-year-old solid bat and in the lineup tonight

C- signing and flipping DeJong - 22 right-handed reliever

C - trading Banks - 19-year-old middle infielder, who knows

B- moving on from Eloy - a bag of balls would have been enough, 26-year-old left reliever

A - Not trading Crochet- can be extended or traded in the spring with 29 teams interested

A - Not trading Robert - can be a long-term CF

Edited by Falstaff
  • Haha 1

F-

Unlike most here I don't agree with moving Eloy. I mean that is basically Beni money. We would be better off hoping he has a healthy stretch THEN moving him.

Like Roberts had last year but our dumbass FO kept him. We keep selling off these guys without getting anything in return. How does that help us? Salary? We aren't going to use his salary more effectively elsewhere.

I don't like the other deal. Why we didn't end up with Carson is baffling when STL was prepared to just give him away to the Rays but that is why the Rays are the Rays and we are the whitesox. I don't agree with moving Kopech he is exactly the high upside arm we should be keeping once again we sold low. If he was key to the deal fine but the deal wasn't good to begin with.

Dejong is trash and we got a trash return. The trade doesn't affect my grade either way other than we wasted a roster spot when we could have promised a higher ceiling a guy a spot on the team and snagged someone better.

Grades:

• Fedde = D => Like the players received, but did not get enough back
  • DeJong = C => Low upside lottery ticket reflects fair value for the player
  • Jimenez = A => Dumping ourselves of the player and his contract is a win
  • Banks = B => Solid return for 32 year old w/ control but little track record
  • Total = D => Ultimately a bad deadline for what was not accomplished (including no Brebbia trade) and for botching the Fedde trade
  • Thanks 2