Grade Getz’s 1st Trade Deadline!

It’s hard to give a grade without knowing the net of all these cash considerations. We essentially took a sub-standard prospect haul and gave away cash.  The best I could give us is a D. The return stinks of seeking a quantity of A-level guys vs a higher potential prospect.

I know Pham wasn’t going to be back, that we have no confidence in Kopech, and we were on track to buy out Jimenez. Set all that aside, Fedde plus Kopech/Pham had more value than a bad prospect haul and us sending out cash.  That was a poor deal.

It’s almost like the directive was to shed anyone we could for whatever we could just to dump salary.  

It would be hard to believe we’re building a roster for anytime before 2027, and I don’t even see much help for that out of this deadline.

This team needs some miracles on prospects to pan out and a new owner that will invest in talented free agents. Since Jerry is likely going to use the horrible Benintendi deal to avoid these type  of signings while he is still owner, we should expect another round of puzzling offseason signings and no clearer picture towards assembling another MLB team.

Edited by tjp1684
  • Like 1

D. The Fedde return was light. Kopech and Pham probably didn’t have much value. They needed something out of the Cardinals in that deal.

I don’t really understand what the direction is in the offseason or years to come. I don’t know if I believe what fathom has said about their financial issues. These trades brought some prospects back but it isn’t clear where this franchise is headed, especially if they have budgets cut further year over year. They need to become the Rays in order to be competitive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

Saying Crochet should have been dealt in June and Robert LAST Toffseason is such revisionist history. 

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying Robert should've been dealt last offseason, aka Winter 2023 into 2024.

Crochet should've been dealt in June. It's not like the innings thing was some revelation, only him talking about it was. They knew back then they weren't going to resign him. So with that stated, they should've gone ahead and dealt him right away. Instead, they waited up until the trade deadline and fractured a relationship (despite what Getz says). 

D.

Mozeliak and the Cardinals wiped their dick right across Getz face right in plain view of both Getz girl and also Harold, so it was probably very humiliating for Getz to have that happen in front of his peeps and he probably hasnt been able to make eye contact with either of them since then, but the Banks trade was good. The Eloy trade doesn't really move the needle either way because the savings are unlikely to be reinvested into the team. They should have been able to move Brebbia for a useful asset. 

If you're looking for reasons it wasn't an F, at least they resisted the temptation to move Robert for pennies on the dollar and if you're looking for reasons it wasn't Chernobyl, at least no other team took the bait of packaging Crochet with Benintendi. That would have been a disaster of biblical proportions. 

In the final analysis: f*** this team. As Walter Cronkite used to say, "and that's the way it was on Tuesday, July 30th, 2024."

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

D.

Mozeliak and the Cardinals wiped their dick right across Getz face right in plain view of both Getz girl and also Harold, so it was probably very humiliating for Getz to have that happen in front of his peeps and he probably hasnt been able to make eye contact with either of them since then, but the Banks trade was good.

laughing-gif-23.gif

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Why?  The minute the Sox reportedly confronted Crochet about an extension and he turned the Sox down, they should have been looking to deal him.  Also, there were rumors about trading Robert last year at the deadline and everyone knew the Sox would be bad this season so why would trading Robert last year at the deadline have been such a crazy idea?  They would have been selling high on him and avoided another injury, as we saw earlier this season which blew his year.

Not the Sox problem Croach wants a contract. Just deal him when the time comes. 

I’d give it a C. Holding Robert and Crochet is the smart move. The Fedde return was a player short. I don’t dislike what was acquired but the deal is at least one piece short. The other trades were fine and I think Banks and Eloy were really good ones. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d give it a C. Holding Robert and Crochet is the smart move. The Fedde return was a player short. I don’t dislike what was acquired but the deal is at least one piece short. The other trades were fine and I think Banks and Eloy were really good ones. 

Do you know how much $ Sox sent with Eloy?  Getting any relief on the $7.5M owed to Eloy is great and all, but it just hard for economics to move the needle for me at this point. Maybe the relief prospect becomes a low leverage guy for the Sox down the road, but its tough for me to call any trade that just saves Jerry $ that won't be reinvested in the club a "really good trade" at this point.

Also, really curious to hear your thoughts on the Benintendi situation Jimmy.  Self proclaimed insider @Harold's Leg Liftclaims Sox will find a way to attach Beni to a trade this offseason and has stated here several times that they tried to attach him with Crochet in the last few weeks.  A Red Sox source said Getz tried to get the Red Sox to eat Beni's deal in a Crochet deal. Boob Nightengale had reported a couple weeks ago that Sox were extensively shopping Benintendi.  I couldn't believe the Sox to actually be this stupid, but its starting to feel like this is actually a thing, which is concerning on so many levels.  What is your take on it?  If the Sox are willing to lesser the return on Crochet to save $ on what is a bad contract but far from crippling commitment, it feels like they aren't serious about actually maximizes the talent in the organization.  Maybe there is something to JR slashing payroll to nothing in preparation for a sale? That is the only thing that could give me hope in this nightmare scenario of attaching Beni with Crochet.  Would genuinely appreciate your thoughts on the situation. 

• Like 1

I know there was that rumor out of Boston that said the Sox wanted to attach Beni to a Crochet. Don’t know how true, but it seems like it would be easier to do in the offseason. 
Not that I actually want them to nor think it’s a good idea.

I think the grade really depends on how you value Vargas.  If you think he is R/R Michael Busch, you could give it a C. I don’t like the player at all, so I’m in the D/F range. I hope I’m wrong and either he does have a defensive position OR can hit a fastball. I see a below average DH. I think the Dodgers felt the same way eventually. Check out the haul they got for Busch vs. Edman, Kopech, and a DSL pitcher.

Think this headline says it all: Loser

Loser: The Chicago White Sox

Was this a case of a deer in the headlights? 

First-year general manager Chris Getz might've been overmatched here. With a historically bad team (they are on pace to go 40-122 entering Tuesday night), Getz had a few highly attractive trade candidates, notably Luis Robert and Garrett Crochet, star-caliber players under team control for a few more years. He held both. This was a seller's market, too, with teams paying a seeming king's ransom for pitching. Did Getz lose leverage because Crochet publicly said he wants an extension if he's traded? Maybe, but having this happen isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the general manager. 

Neither Robert nor Crochet will be around the next time the White Sox are contenders. 

Further, the consensus seems to be that the White Sox didn't get enough in their other deals. And, again, this was a massive seller's market, with far more teams looking to buy than sell. What exactly was Getz waiting for?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2024-mlb-trade-deadline-winners-and-losers-dodgers-make-key-moves-but-baseball-blockbuster-never-develops/live/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tjp1684 said:

It’s hard to give a grade without knowing the net of all these cash considerations. We essentially took a sub-standard prospect haul and gave away cash.  The best I could give us is a D. The return stinks of seeking a quantity of A-level guys vs a higher potential prospect.

I know Pham wasn’t going to be back, that we have no confidence in Kopech, and we were on track to buy out Jimenez. Set all that aside, Fedde plus Kopech/Pham had more value than a bad prospect haul and us sending out cash.  That was a poor deal.

It’s almost like the directive was to shed anyone we could for whatever we could just to dump salary.  

It would be hard to believe we’re building a roster for anytime before 2027, and I don’t even see much help for that out of this deadline.

This team needs some miracles on prospects to pan out and a new owner that will invest in talented free agents. Since Jerry is likely going to use the horrible Benintendi deal to avoid these type  of signings while he is still owner, we should expect another round of puzzling offseason signings and no clearer picture towards assembling another MLB team.

Makes me wonder if the team is being readied for a sale.  Hope so!

I'll just state this -  on Robert and Crochet - I don't think they got an offer from either that involved an elite prospect (and I'm being loose on elite - I'm going top 50 guy). I think Crochet would have - but the extension and late news probably ruined any chance, but reality is the inning limit(s) were always a risk.

Given that both Robert and Crochet are elite talents and are around a while from a contract perspective -> I think Getz made the right move punting and moving forward. Trading Crochet for a back end top 100 and 2 other top 250 guys isn't worth it in my opinion and would be a poor use of asset(s) and also set a poor precedent.  And I fully don't blame any team that wasn't willing to offer that sort of capital up for Crochet knowing it was far more likely they are using chip(s) now for an asset that more likeley helps them next year and the following (vs. this year - teams in contention don't make those type of moves at the deadline).  

On Robert - I think reality is you would have got 75 cents on the dollar for him - I wonder if maybe a team through something out - but with how big of a funk he was in down the stretch and the Sox probably asking for multiple top end position prospects (which is what he would have been worth a few months ago) - I think rolling the dice on Robert either finishing strong (and/or having a bounce back next year under new management and with a fresh off-season) and than you flip him for far better value than today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Makes me wonder if the team is being readied for a sale.  Hope so!

Anything is possible although not very likely. As has been stated, the capital gains tax if JR sells while he is alive is estimated at 200 million PLUS he'd then have to pay Illinois state tax penalty.

JR started his professional career working for the IRS, that amount of money grabs his attention.

He's not selling, his family will when he passes since in that case the capital gains tax is basically zero. 

• Like 1

So if the Sox trade Fedde for a top 100 prospect who hasn’t yet struggled through his first 350 PA, that would have been good, but getting a guy who a year ago was ranked in 30-40 range is a fail? He was rated a 65/55 bat a year ago whereas infielders currently rated in lower part of top 100 would be like a 55/50 bat at best

5 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

So if the Sox trade Fedde for a top 100 prospect who hasn’t yet struggled through his first 350 PA, that would have been good, but getting a guy who a year ago was ranked in 30-40 range is a fail? He was rated a 65/55 bat a year ago whereas infielders currently rated in lower part of top 100 would be like a 55/50 bat at best

Vargas has 5 years of control after this. Trading for a T100 who hasn't made his debut yet comes with 6+ (6 full seasons, part of another). I pay attention to that part of it.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

5 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

Considering they threw Pham in for free, former Top 100 prospect Oscar Colas should have been getting at-bats this whole season if we're taking this outlook.

Can anyone point out anything Getz does well other than slashing payroll? 

44 minutes ago, Quin said:

Considering they threw Pham in for free, former Top 100 prospect Oscar Colas should have been getting at-bats this whole season if we're taking this outlook.

Yeah, I don't think Pham really effected the deal at all. Ends up being a waste of playing time that could have gone to a former T100 in a lost year.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

I don’t see what that has to do with the question of Vargas’ value vs. a current lower top 100 infield prospect, but OK

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

There it is.

9 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

Let me ask you this, you are trading Erick Fedde. Here are the offers on the table and you need to pick 1.

Player A - Was ranked in the top 30-40 top prospects a year ago. Has 438 MLB PA's over the last 3 seasons and has slashed .198 / .291 / .651

Player B - Is ranked in the top 75-100 top prospects right now, has yet to make MLB debut, and has produced at every minor league stop hes made so far.

So yeah, I would have been much happier about the trade had we got player B, but well never know if that was ever an option anyways.

• Like 2