Grade Getz’s 1st Trade Deadline!

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

F-

Unlike most here I don't agree with moving Eloy. I mean that is basically Beni money. We would be better off hoping he has a healthy stretch THEN moving him.

Like Roberts had last year but our dumbass FO kept him. We keep selling off these guys without getting anything in return. How does that help us? Salary? We aren't going to use his salary more effectively elsewhere.

I don't like the other deal. Why we didn't end up with Carson is baffling when STL was prepared to just give him away to the Rays but that is why the Rays are the Rays and we are the whitesox. I don't agree with moving Kopech he is exactly the high upside arm we should be keeping once again we sold low. If he was key to the deal fine but the deal wasn't good to begin with.

Dejong is trash and we got a trash return. The trade doesn't affect my grade either way other than we wasted a roster spot when we could have promised a higher ceiling a guy a spot on the team and snagged someone better.

There is no chance whatsoever that the Sox pick up Eloy’s option for next year, so dumping for anything (including padding Jerry’s bank account) is an absolute no-brainer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Grades:

• Fedde = D => Like the players received, but did not get enough back
  • DeJong = C => Low upside lottery ticket reflects fair value for the player
  • Jimenez = A => Dumping ourselves of the player and his contract is a win
  • Banks = B => Solid return for 32 year old w/ control but little track record
  • Total = D => Ultimately a bad deadline for what was not accomplished (including no Brebbia trade) and for botching the Fedde trade

I would agree with your detailed breakdown.

• Like 1

D

He traded a lot of guys which he gets credit for. That's it. Those deals were pretty bad though. The Fedde one is a fireable offense. I mean, after seeing what the Marlins got, there's no reason why they couldn't get that done for Fedde after Crochet was off the table.

They held onto Crochet too long and got cute. Lots of folks believed they should've dealt him in June. The longer you held on, the bigger the risk because of the IP. Robert should've been dealt last off season, if not, right after he came back. 

With it being a seller's market, and this being the best they could do - yeah, no. There's no hope for the team.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Pal said:

Seems horrific, but when it's factored in that no top 100 prospects were traded, maybe Getz took the best course. Either way, this team is fucked.

Yep.  Can’t trade their remaining assets (Crochet and Robert) for a haul because teams are no longer willing to deal their top prospects.  And can’t tank for high draft picks as easily as in the past.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

it's a F.  He blew his big trade. And badly.  And he didn't get Crochet traded, which I thought was important.

Getting something decent for Banks, who is a good reliever, isn't a noteworthy accomplishment and does not mitigate the damage from the big trade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

D

He traded a lot of guys which he gets credit for. That's it. Those deals were pretty bad though. The Fedde one is a fireable offense. I mean, after seeing what the Marlins got, there's no reason why they couldn't get that done for Fedde after Crochet was off the table.

They held onto Crochet too long and got cute. Lots of folks believed they should've dealt him in June. The longer you held on, the bigger the risk because of the IP. Robert should've been dealt last off season, if not, right after he came back. 

With it being a seller's market, and this being the best they could do - yeah, no. There's no hope for the team.

Saying Crochet should have been dealt in June and Robert LAST offseason is such revisionist history. 

• Like 1

C

As always we're at the wrong end of a market trend. We're sellers in a buyer's market. Not accepting current market conditions for the little talent he was trying to sell, was probably a win. I didn't see any top 100 prospects traded. I wouldn't have accepted less for either player. 

Is he the GM who could convince a rival GM to pay over current market for a player? I doubt it. 

• Like 1

F. 

Is this serious?

Gave up 3 MLB players for 2 18 yos in single A and a AAAA with .658 OPS.  Who GETZ think is middle of order.  This isn't even Deja-Vu anymore.

Got absolutely NOTHING on this trade.

The Cardinals looks genius and the Dodgers just dumped TRASH and took a flyer on a physical phenom that they possibly might have the ability to fix (his head).  If they do, we look even more inept (imagine going to LA to fix a headcase).

We are WORSE off with this trade and anyone who says otherwise isn't being even remotely honest.

Text 'FMLFML' for a free sample.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

F-

Unlike most here I don't agree with moving Eloy. I mean that is basically Beni money. We would be better off hoping he has a healthy stretch THEN moving him.

So if you're a rival GM and Eloy had a healthy stretch would you forget his history? 

How excited would you be if we traded for him after a "healthy streak"? I think every GM is at least as savvy as the average poster here. 

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So if you're a rival GM and Eloy had a healthy stretch would you forget his history? 

How excited would you be if we traded for him after a "healthy streak"? I think every GM is at least as savvy as the average poster here. 

First of all:  Eloy healthy...    :lol:

Quintana was such a good pitcher.  So underrated.  Would be worth a FORTUNE today.
But, Eloy....And then Cease.  

The ride never ends with this franchise.

Terrible trade deadline for Getz. I feel sorry for Crochet and Robert getting stuck with the Sox. They deserve an opportunity to play on good teams.

I somewhat understand not trading Crochet since his performance value is offset by the likelihood he’ll not be available much near the end of the season due to innings restrictions. Trade partners would have lowballed to Sox.

I imagine Robert is trying to figure out how to go back to Cuba.

• Like 1

What is lower than F?  You had three of the biggest assets on the market, and your best deals were for Tanner Banks and Robbie Grossman months ago.  When you have the national media steady mocking you, there can be no other grade.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Saying Crochet should have been dealt in June and Robert LAST offseason is such revisionist history. 

Why?  The minute the Sox reportedly confronted Crochet about an extension and he turned the Sox down, they should have been looking to deal him.  Also, there were rumors about trading Robert last year at the deadline and everyone knew the Sox would be bad this season so why would trading Robert last year at the deadline have been such a crazy idea?  They would have been selling high on him and avoided another injury, as we saw earlier this season which blew his year.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Why?  The minute the Sox reportedly confronted Crochet about an extension and he turned the Sox down, they should have been looking to deal him.  Also, there were rumors about trading Robert last year at the deadline and everyone knew the Sox would be bad this season so why would trading Robert last year at the deadline have been such a crazy idea?  They would have been selling high on him and avoided another injury, as we saw earlier this season which blew his year.

Nah, with Pale on this one.  Dealing Crochet in June would've ben a mistake.

They'll probably STILL make a mistake (I have EVERY CONFIDENCE they will), but he's right.  He's in the highest value possible.  If nobody (actually going for it) trusts him to pitch, fine.  Sit on him if you don't get a REAL HAUL.  

And then there's the offseason.

He's got it right (in theory).

But then we have JR and Chris Getz so it'll get completely wasted and F'D up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Why?  The minute the Sox reportedly confronted Crochet about an extension and he turned the Sox down, they should have been looking to deal him.  

What you mean they shouldn't have told the press about it and hurt his trade value?

1 hour ago, Pal said:

Seems horrific, but when it's factored in that no top 100 prospects were traded, maybe Getz took the best course. Either way, this team is fucked.

Yeah JJ Cooper from BA said that this was the first time in 14 years where no top 100 prospects were traded. So that changes my outlook on how Getz did. I’m not too worried about them not trading Robert or Crochet, there value will be the same at the Winter Meetings

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Crochet's punishment will fit his crime.  He now has to keep playing for the Chicago White Sox. 

Funny comment I heard about him and the post season was OK trade him to the Cubs.