Royals @ Sox, 7/31, 1:10 PM

Just now, fathom said:

Vargas is hitting some screamers!

Will see if the Sox can help him develop (LOL) but through close to 450 plate appearances the consistent trend with him is he just doesn't hit the ball hard.

• Paper Bag 1

I’m seriously thinking that this team might not win another game the rest of the season, we have a AAA team playing at GRF, JR and company need to slash ticket prices the rest of the year and give some kind of a refund to season ticket holders. 

Manfred needs to talk to Reinsdorf and tell him if he doesn’t want to do what it takes to put a Major League team on the field then he needs to sell the franchise to someone who will, this is beyond disgraceful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yeah, it will come back down.  Hopefully his random blowups are more to do with being a rookie than his 91-93 MPH fastball.  He can improve his pitching strategy going forward, but not really his fastball velocity.

That's what I'm hoping. 2 teams he basically dominated lit him up when they saw him again.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Did Singer start his career with some of the best command in the majors? Thorpe has a dynamite change.

At age 23 (like Thorpe) he was walking 3.2 per 9 but also striking out 8.5 per 9.  

1 minute ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I’m seriously thinking that this team might not win another game the rest of the season, we have a AAA team playing at GRF, JR and company need to slash ticket prices the rest of the year and give some kind of a refund to season ticket holders. 

Manfred needs to talk to Reinsdorf and tell him if he doesn’t want to do what it takes to put a Major League team on the field then he needs to sell the franchise to someone who will, this is beyond disgraceful.

Yep, this is beyond pathetic and I’m surprised at how quiet the media is about it.  

1 minute ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I wish the league could “take the keys from grandpa”.  ? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sure, but his archetype as a RHP throwing 90-92 basically doesn't exist in MLB. So yea. He needs to break the mold. 

Kyle Hendricks put up like 20 WAR over 6 years doing this, except he throws even softer.

2 minutes ago, almagest said:

Kyle Hendricks put up like 20 WAR over 6 years doing this, except he throws even softer.

He also had some of the best command of the decade with incredible movement on his sinker. Believe me, I used to get so mad when teams couldn’t hit 88 mph fastballs.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's possible we finish with over 130 losses. 

Assuming they lose today, they will lose 120 games if they finish 15-36 which seems almost a certainty.

They would need to go 5-46 to finish with 130 losses, which seems highly unlikely.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

Assuming they lose today, they will lose 120 games if they finish 15-36 which seems almost a certainty.

They would need to go 5-46 to finish with 130 losses, which seems highly unlikely.

Still 50 games of pain left? Make it end. 

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

He also had some of the best command of the decade with incredible movement on his sinker. Believe me, I used to get so mad when teams couldn’t hit 88 mph fastballs.

Yes, and Thorpe has a top tier change up. He's 23 and was in High A last year. Let's give him some time to acclimate and improve before we write him off. There's enough to be miserable about this season without expecting a 23 year old rookie to dominate.

Vaughn and Sheets are so mediocre to lousy. How could the Sox devote so much time to both without dumping them? Boy they stink as they say. Vaughn seems like a frustrated batter so often. I have a gut feeling he's a good worker and good guy. Just trade him for his own benefit. Geez he is such a lousy hitter.

I'm not throwing in the towel on Thorpe, but it is alarming. A guy with that velo, has to have some pretty good control to get by. And talking about Singer early in his career.....well, he could also actually strike guys out, something Thorpe won't do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

Sure, didn't say it wasn't highly unlikely, but it is possible, which is staggery. I can easily see 10-41. I can squint and see 5-46. 

• Like 1