Royals @ Sox, 7/31, 1:10 PM

Just now, fathom said:

Basically over the last year, they’ve traded the following without getting someone that you can confidently say will be at least an average major leaguer:

Cease, Giolito, Lopez, Lynn, Kelly, Burger, Santos, Mena, Cease, Fedde, Kopech, Pham, Eloy

Quero I think, but yeah not good otherwise.

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

Quero I think, but yeah not good otherwise.

Yep, Giolito and Lopez should probably be removed from fathom’s list.  They returned Quero, but I guess he is no sure thing either.  Although he looks the part so far.

4 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Thorpe's ERA ( I know, I know) has now ballooned to 5.23

Yeah, it will come back down.  Hopefully his random blowups are more to do with being a rookie than his 91-93 MPH fastball.  He can improve his pitching strategy going forward, but not really his fastball velocity.

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yeah, it will come back down.  Hopefully his random blowups are more to do with being a rookie than his 91-93 MPH fastball.  He can improve his pitching strategy going forward, but not really his fastball velocity.

His command needs significant improvement 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I'm not super worried yet. I think he just needs to locate and sequence better. Both seem improvable. 

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Thorpe needs to add 2-3 ticks of velocity or he's mince meat next year. The 2nd time teams are seeing him, the book is out, he's getting lit up. This sucks man. 

not gonna happen 

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Thorpe needs to add 2-3 ticks of velocity or he's mince meat next year. The 2nd time teams are seeing him, the book is out, he's getting lit up. This sucks man. 

I just don’t get how they scouted him and thought “we need this guy, he’s a great fit for our home park”.  One thing that is totally evident is Getz doesn’t put an emphasis on “loud tools”….wonder why

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yeah, even in his first outings against teams he hasn't missed a lot of bats.  It is possible to be successful that way but its really freaking hard and requires outstanding command.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I just don’t get how they scouted him and thought “we need this guy, he’s a great fit for our home park”.  One thing that is totally evident is Getz doesn’t put an emphasis on “loud tools”….wonder why

Same philosophy Hahn had in FA. 90% of the times those guys are in the discount bin because they aren't selling otherwise. 

After cooling on it, I would probably go with this.

B Plus - Tanner Banks for INF William Bergolla. Ill always get behind trading a reliever for a position player prospect with the state of this team.

D - Eloy Jimenez for LHP Trey Mcgough. I don't care about JR's money so this was a nothing trade to me.

D - Paul DeJong for RHP Jarold Rosado. Again, a nothing trade. Don't care about minor league relievers.

D Minus - Fedde, Kopech, and Pham for INF Miguel Vargas, INF Jeral Perez, and INF Alexander Albertus. Just not enough value here, especially when it was all three of them together.

3 minutes ago, T R U said:

After cooling on it, I would probably go with this.

B Plus - Tanner Banks for INF William Bergolla. Ill always get behind trading a reliever for a position player prospect with the state of this team.

D - Eloy Jimenez for LHP Trey Mcgough. I don't care about JR's money so this was a nothing trade to me.

D - Paul DeJong for RHP Jarold Rosado. Again, a nothing trade. Don't care about minor league relievers.

D Minus - Fedde, Kopech, and Pham for INF Miguel Vargas, INF Jeral Perez, and INF Alexander Albertus. Just not enough value here, especially when it was all three of them together.

Probably not meant for the game thread ?

Sox should come up with a new stat:  Earned runs allowed because Fletcher can't catch a fly ball.  That's three miscues this year without an error charged.

• Like 1

Just now, oldsox said:

Sox should come up with a new stat:  Earned runs allowed because Fletcher can't catch a fly ball.  That's three miscues this year without an error charged.

Again, what a colossal scouting error

• Like 1