Royals @ Sox, 7/31, 1:10 PM

Just now, WBWSF said:

This ownership/management team rubs me as if they're  content with this losing situation. They've done nothing to improve this team since the beginning of this season.

I honestly think they fixed it enough in May after signing pham and churning the roster, and thought their actual prospects would buoy things in July. They should be ashamed for how obtuse that was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

This ownership/management team rubs me as if they're  content with this losing situation. They've done nothing to improve this team since the beginning of this season.

payroll reduction and expiring contracts is all that matters when a team sale is on the horizon

You have possibly the worst team in baseball, your prospects are imploding in the minors, a terrible trade deadline and your best player embarrassed the organization by going behind their back with his agent.  Yet of course, Jerry is nowhere to be found.

• Like 5

This honestly looks like an owner who wants to leave the city, tanking the team, and showing the low attendance as reason to leave.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joejoesox said:

payroll reduction and expiring contracts is all that matters when a team sale is on the horizon

They’re not selling until Jerry dies.  This is just clearing out all the contracts to have a low payroll due to lack of revenue and a disconnect with the fans.

• Like 1

So the Royals get four in the ninth to flip the final finger at the woebegone White Sox. I assume the season series is over mercilessly. Sox awaken another team that's been blah for a month or so.

This is high comedy. Think of all the ignominy this season. This is as bad as anything before. KC on getaway day says 'We're in no hurry to get out of here. We'll score four more against these bums.' Everybody kicks dirt in the Sox faces. At some point Jerry has to have some pride (no he doesn't; he has the all important buck nestled in his wallet.

I know we're immune to losing now. It's changed me as a Sox fan. First season some weird part of my brain wants us to lose now. Thanks Sox (sarcasm) for changing me for the worst. It truly is stealing money from the fans only because the one attraction, the food in the park, is expensive, not cheap. Boo White Sox. Boo.

Edited by greg775
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just keep going back to if you look at the 2017 roster, with wily garcia/leury garcia/avi garcia outfield, playing alen hansen like 60 games. Bad Tim anderson, bad first year moncada. Bad Giolito and Lopez. Good first half quintana and a 5 ERA Ivan Nova. Mostly scraps.

That team's record will finish, what, 25 games above this one?

There is something so wrong here. The padres were crucified that year they drafted like 6 rule 5 players and they finished with like 68 wins. This level of bad is impossible, there are many AAA teams that could still get to 45 wins in the big leagues. And this team, with a bonafide ace, and often decent starting pitching, will not sniff it.

I was going to post that earlier, this team pulled an ace and another front of the rotation pitcher out of thin air and are still going to be the worst team in MLB history. What the f***??

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

This honestly looks like an owner who wants to leave the city, tanking the team, and showing the low attendance as reason to leave.

That’s more likely than him selling when alive

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Im starting to lean this way, there are very few things that can explain why no action is being taken other than gutting the roster and slashing payroll. There was way too much smoke to the attaching Beneintendi to Crochet talk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They’re not selling until Jerry dies.  This is just clearing out all the contracts to have a low payroll due to lack of revenue and a disconnect with the fans.

there's been rumors going around for a couple years that might hint at a sale, do you think Mellody Hobson bought that large portion of shares because she saw it as an investment opportunity?  Remember when Reinsdorf, George Lucas and Mellody Hobson were all seen having dinner a couple years ago also

I bet the team's sold within the next 2-3 years

• Like 1

3rd  worst first 111 games in MLB history. Worst since 1916. 17 game losing streak, and have been swept 17 times.

There is one guy who has managed at least 200 games and has a worse winning percentage than Pedro. He was a WWII dentist. 

• Haha 2

Just now, T R U said:

Im starting to lean this way, there are very few things that can explain why no action is being taken other than gutting the roster and slashing payroll. There was way too much smoke to the attaching Beneintendi to Crochet talk.

And this isn’t my typical “they’re in deep s%*# money wise” comment, but you have to be insane to think they will bring in anything decent this offseason.  Who cares if you lose 110 if you’ve already lost 120.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

So the Royals get four in the ninth to flip the final finger at the woebegone White Sox. I assume the season series is over mercilessly. Sox awaken another team that's been blah for a month or so.

This is high comedy. Think of all the ignominy this season. This is as bad as anything before. KC on getaway day says 'We're in no hurry to get out of here. We'll score four more against these bums.' Everybody kicks dirt in the Sox faces. At some point Jerry has to have some pride (no he doesn't; he has the all important buck nestled in his wallet.

I know we're immune to losing now. It's changed me as a Sox fan. First season some weird part of my brain wants us to lose now. Thanks Sox (sarcasm) for changing me for the worst. It truly is stealing money from the fans only because the one attraction, the food in the park, is expensive, not cheap. Boo White Sox. Boo.

welcome to 2024

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just look at how much better the A’s are than the Sox.  I keep saying this, but major league teams just aren’t designed to lose this much.   Something is seriously wrong.

Fathom, we all knew it was a perfect storm when we saw the final roster in mid January. We were going into the season weak in all facets of the modern game, facets that on a given night would cost us the game.

Hitting: We knew it was bad and we knew during stretches it could be horrendous. Pitching: We knew the bullpen would cost us many many games. The starters albeit OK for a while also would not be reliable. And the defense? With a SS/2B combo of Lopez and DeBong and Mandy at catcher, cmon.

So as you said: 'something is seriously wrong,' and that is the constructed roster arguably is the worst in modern baseball history, maybe THE worst active roster in big league history. Thanks Jerry.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

didn't he say specifically earlier this year that he had no intentions of moving the team though

i feel like if he felt the need to play that card, he would've done it

Just now, fathom said:

And this isn’t my typical “they’re in deep s%*# money wise” comment, but you have to be insane to think they will bring in anything decent this offseason.  Who cares if you lose 110 if you’ve already lost 120.

They would have to go on an absolute spending spree to even get this team to a respectable level. It ain't happening.

If people think this year is brutal, wait until next season.

Just now, joejoesox said:

didn't he say specifically earlier this year that he had no intentions of moving the team though

He wasn’t nearly that adamant, IIRC.

1 minute ago, joejoesox said:

of course he wouldn't say that, he is going to be "forced to move them"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pettie4sox said:

Is there any point that the MLB would get involved and force Jerry to sell?

The mlb is the HR of the owners, they are just there to protect them first and foremost. Unless Jerry goes rogue and starts threatening the well being of other owners, they'll play sweetheart to him.

• Like 1