Royals @ Sox, 7/31, 1:10 PM

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

And this isn’t my typical “they’re in deep s%*# money wise” comment, but you have to be insane to think they will bring in anything decent this offseason.  Who cares if you lose 110 if you’ve already lost 120.

I can't wait for the moment after having another deplorable season, the Sox completely whiff in the draft lottery.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

You have possibly the worst team in baseball, your prospects are imploding in the minors, a terrible trade deadline and your best player embarrassed the organization by going behind their back with his agent.  Yet of course, Jerry is nowhere to be found.

In baseball history, I assume you meant?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just keep going back to if you look at the 2017 roster, with wily garcia/leury garcia/avi garcia outfield, playing alen hansen like 60 games. Bad Tim anderson, bad first year moncada. Bad Giolito and Lopez. Good first half quintana and a 5 ERA Ivan Nova. Mostly scraps.

That team's record will finish, what, 25 games above this one?

There is something so wrong here. The padres were crucified that year they drafted like 6 rule 5 players and they finished with like 68 wins. This level of bad is impossible, there are many AAA teams that could still get to 45 wins in the big leagues. And this team, with a bonafide ace, and often decent starting pitching, will not sniff it.

Them continuing to play Alen Hansen that season was a real head scratcher....nothing compared to this season of course but very very odd.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Definitely not the high ceiling type of players you want.

We probably are going to have to wait until at least 2029 until Getz gets whacked. 

GMs usually get 5 years. I doubt they lose fewer than 100 games under him. They are so bad and regardless of Hagen Smith I don't think that it really matters. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Vaughn and Sheets are so mediocre to lousy. How could the Sox devote so much time to both without dumping them? Boy they stink as they say. Vaughn seems like a frustrated batter so often. I have a gut feeling he's a good worker and good guy. Just trade him for his own benefit. Geez he is such a lousy hitter.

I’ve never heard that term.

Haha, I love you, Greg.

7 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

At least what the White Sox lack in effort, hope and talent they make up for with... the ummm.. you know the uhhh

Profit.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The Kansas City Royals finish the year 12-1 vs. the Sox.

Let that sink in.

The Kansas City Royals...?

@Lip Man 1, so the Sox are now one loss away from tying their previous record for most consecutive losses (18), but that was across two seasons right?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Just catching up. Fletcher almost played that ball into a homer like he did earlier this year lol

He should not be allowed to play CF. Worst I have ever seen since we had that punter out there 20 yrs ago.

50 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

@Lip Man 1, so the Sox are now one loss away from tying their previous record for most consecutive losses (18), but that was across two seasons right?

No the record for two seasons was 15 straight. Five in a row to close out 1967 and 10 straight to open the 1968 year.

Here is the postgame from DVS of the Sun-Times:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/07/31/white-sox-swept-for-fifth-straight-time-losing-streak-reaches-17

“Just keep going, because things in baseball can change from year to year, things in life can change in one second. You could be facing a storm like we are facing and the next day or week or year, you’ll be sunshine and rainbows.”

That’s the sound of a manager whose job could be in peril looking at the bright side. 

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

No the record for two seasons was 15 straight. Five in a row to close out 1967 and 10 straight to open the 1968 year.

Here is the postgame from DVS of the Sun-Times:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/07/31/white-sox-swept-for-fifth-straight-time-losing-streak-reaches-17

“Just keep going, because things in baseball can change from year to year, things in life can change in one second. You could be facing a storm like we are facing and the next day or week or year, you’ll be sunshine and rainbows.”

That’s the sound of a manager whose job could be in peril looking at the bright side. 

Oh wow, I didn’t realize they already beat the franchise’a longest consecutive losing streak over two seasons.

Next milestones…

“In the modern era of MLB, from 1900 on the 1961 Philadelphia Phillies hold the National League record with 23 straight losses.”

“The 1889 Louisville Colonels hold the record for the longest losing streak in MLB history with 26 consecutive losses.”

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Definitely not the high ceiling type of players you want.

Maybe Thorpe's low velocity will foil his career. He certainly threw some fat slow meatballs up there vs. KC.

8 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Also, if I remember correctly, the fewest!

I thought our analytics department was smallest - not the scouting. Not that it makes it any better. Probably shrinking by the week as they divert more and more resources to robo dialing suckers (err fans) to get white Sox tickets. 

8 hours ago, T R U said:

Im starting to lean this way, there are very few things that can explain why no action is being taken other than gutting the roster and slashing payroll. There was way too much smoke to the attaching Beneintendi to Crochet talk.

I’m convinced of this - my only hope is the new owner is legit and team stays in Chicago -  but this is JR making sure new owner inherits no bad contracts and a fan base who will fall in love with the new owner 

13 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I thought our analytics department was smallest - not the scouting. Not that it makes it any better. Probably shrinking by the week as they divert more and more resources to robo dialing suckers (err fans) to get white Sox tickets. 

A tweet I saw a few weeks ago, I think it was from Jay Cuda said the Sox only have two full time scouts and five analytics people.