Upcoming Site Upgrade

It will likely be in 1-2 weeks. Waiting for the latest version of the forum software (vs. the beta version). The look and feel won't be a big change - the big change of the forum software is set to come later this year - but have some stuff that needs to clean-up in advance of that and get onto a more efficient base and some underlying caapbilities that will help with server load/efficiency.  

I also am working on when we get to that version getting back to a much more simplified ad structure. The ad solution we use kind of takes off and gets out of control (this is NOT something I want to have that much of).  So you should see a better experience there. And again - this site makes no money - but the traffic and volumes we get are large so while I appreciate the offer and generosity from others - the reality is - to be on a dedicated server has a material cost so ads are needed to cover it and ensure we can cover the costs.  

From the day this place started - never have I wanted to ever take anyone's dime or charge anyone to be on this site...but I also recognize the ad structure needs to be less invasive.  

• Thanks 2
  • Love 2
  • Hawk 1

FYI - Upgrade ran into issues (no site outages - just some stuff on back end before we could get launched). It will likely be this weekend.  We will also be migrating to a new, faster and more efficient server at the same time.  For the record - I could take an approach and shut down and do some conversions to minimize lost posts (but with a bit more outage) - but will probably opt to just migrate over and instead of shutting this site down for a period post migration to make sure I basically reback up the database - will instead just live with 1-2 days of lost posts in order to maximize up time for the site (this should mean, *knock on wood*, minimal site downtime, but at some point when we switch over we'll lose about 1-2 days worth of posts in between the server migration.  

Note: The data base is large so I could restore it all - but that would require site down 4-12 hours for migration + than another 4-8 hours for the upgrade. 

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

There are a couple issues still being ironed out. For example - running into an issue starting new topics (at the moment). So still a bit of WIP.  

It's been a while since I got to do this...

but GAGED!

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

And posting new topics is resolved! 

I am sure we all take you for granted.  This is a quality site of valuable info.