The Rest of the Season

What would you like to see the team do the rest of the season? I will start:

DFA Sheets and Senzel

Call up Colas and DeLoach

LF Fletcher

CF Robert

RF Colas

DH DeLoach (rotate guys in the OF here to give a half day off)

3B or 2B Vargas

2B or 3B Sosa

SS Baldwin (might as well)

Bench Benintendi and Lopez

Might as well see what you have in the above guys playing majority of the time as some are already 26/27.

Edit: I don't know how you would even line it up. Plug Robert in the 2-hole, Vaughn 3 spot, and pick the rest out of a hat?

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 3

Hopefully the roster churn continues.  Brebbia, Flexen, and Lopez should be on waivers todays.  Kuhl and Senzel serve no purpose. Get Colas up and play him FFS. 

We've lost 16 fucking games in a row, its not running guys like Berroa, Eder, Nastrini, Dominguez, Burke, Coffey etc., etc. is going to lose us more games. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with just about everything but would add to fire Pedro ASAP. Also bring up some bullpen arms, this is beyond ridiculous.

Let's see what Vargas can do playing every day.

Sosa would be an All Star with his away splits, see if he can hit at Sox Park

• Like 1

We also should have first priority on the waiver wire for the AL.  Churn and burn young players on the wire.  No expiring contracts needed.  Play the youngsters but don’t start any clocks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

We also should have first priority on the waiver wire for the AL.  Churn and burn young players on the wire.  No expiring contracts needed.  Play the youngsters but don’t start any clocks. 

Yeah, play the guys like Fletcher, Sosa, Colas, DeLoach the rest of the way. Sosa and Colas so you can make some sort of decision on them (and at least with Colas, you can finally say it's because of his short MLB time instead of whatever weird reason they are using for not even calling him up) and Fletcher and DeLoach since you actually traded for them.

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

The only two guys that could potentially be ready (but aren't actually) that we should give a damn about their clock is Colson and Quero.  Colson has probably played his way out of that being possible this year, but rushing Quero concerns me deepy. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hopefully the roster churn continues.  Brebbia, Flexen, and Lopez should be on waivers todays.  Kuhl and Senzel serve no purpose. Get Colas up and play him FFS. 

We've lost 16 fucking games in a row, its not running guys like Berroa, Eder, Nastrini, Dominguez, Burke, Coffey etc., etc. is going to lose us more games. 

The waiver trade deadline ended yesterday so no reason to put those guys on waivers unless you're cutting them I think. Flexen, Lopez and Brebbia still have a few years of control so you can keep them. Well, at least Flexen should be kept around with the control he has, even if hes likely not a guy. 

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The only two guys that could potentially be ready (but aren't actually) that we should give a damn about their clock is Colson and Quero.  Colson has probably played his way out of that being possible this year, but rushing Quero concerns me deepy. 

Yeah, just let Quero finish the year in AAA and start him there next year.

Fire Grifol tomorrow. Lopez can stay on the team I guess, but he starts once a week. Benintendi is benched. Sheets is let go. Bring up Colas and your outfield Fletcher/Robert/Colas everyday. Infield is Vargas/Baldwin/Sosa/Vaughn

Crochet pitches no more than 4 innings and gets piggybacked by Nastrini or something. 

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The waiver deadline ended yesterday so no reason to put those guys on waivers unless you're cutting them I think. Flexen, Lopez and Brebbia still have a few years of control so you can keep them. Well, at least Flexen should be kept around with the control he has, even if hes likely not a guy. 

I could see the argument on keeping Flexen just to eat innings.  Nicky Lopez is a no-brainer non tender for 2025.  Brebbia is a mutual option.  Those almost never get picked up by both sides.  He's gone. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I could see the argument on keeping Flexen just to eat innings.  Nicky Lopez is a no-brainer non tender for 2025.  Brebbia is a mutual option.  Those almost never get picked up by both sides.  He's gone. 

Baseball reference lists it as a team option. 1.5 million buyout or 6 million to keep him. So 4.5 million extra to keep him. He's not worth that but you are basically starting the bullpen from scratch for next year.

Edit: I do see it reported elsewhere as mutual so idk

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

There is absolutely no reason to keep Grifol employed for the rest of the season.  Sure, it won't make a difference in the long run, but I believe he's lost the team.  Any other team would have fired their manager after last season, let alone letting him manage past the halfway point of a second season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

There is absolutely no reason to keep Grifol employed for the rest of the season.  Sure, it won't make a difference in the long run, but I believe he's lost the team.  Any other team would have fired their manager after last season, let alone letting him manage past the halfway point of a second season.

When asked about it after the deadline yesterday, Getz certainly didn't say Pedro was safe.  His answer was something like "We've been focused on the TDL.  We'll let tonight's game happen, get a good night sleep and come in tomorrow and analyze the player's we've added and the parent clubs performance."  When asked about how Pedro has done this season the only good thing he had to say was that the helped get Crochet into a situation where he's created immense value for the org, and helped get DeJong into a position where he was tradeable.  It was not a glowing review. 

I'd like to see Pedro gone and Getz assume managerial duties for the remainder of the season so he can see who these guys are and establish some kind of clubhouse culture that ought to trickle down to all levels of the organization. Getz takes a beating on this board. But he's ours. I hope he takes the bull by the horns, puts his stamp on the organization and is ultimately successful.

• TLR 1

Just now, buckweaver said:

I'd like to see Pedro gone and Getz assume managerial duties for the remainder of the season so he can see who these guys are and establish some kind of clubhouse culture that ought to trickle down to all levels of the organization. Getz takes a beating on this board. But he's ours. I hope he takes the bull by the horns, puts his stamp on the organization and is ultimately successful.

He takes a beating on this board because

- He was and is not qualified to be an MLB GM.

- He took a 100 loss team that should have been a slam dunk to improve and somehow made it 20 games worse.

- He has made numerous head scratching trades and signings.

This season isn't the worst of it yet, this is just the start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I just take the lack of any change, a lack of accountibility, and a sign the organization finds what is going on out on the field, OK. It's disgusting. Having a guy make his major league debut up 1 run in the 8th after another guy you are supposedly counting on in the future, pitches his ass off, should be firable on its own. 

• Like 2

Another thing that needs to be addressed is International Scouting.  I read James Fox post at X but I can't find it now but he had some excellent points as usual.

if JR is going to cry poor, then he needs to bring in young International free agents and develop them.

Edited by Falstaff
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Another thing that needs to be addressed is International Scouting.  I read James Fox post at X but I can't find it now but he had some excellent points as usual.

if JR is going to cry poor, then he needs to bring in young International free agents and develop them.

Its the cheapest way to build an organization. Yet he won't do it. A poor system that once in a while flirts with mediocrity is one reason sustained sucess has been impossible since JR has owned the team.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Its the cheapest way to build an organization. Yet he won't do it. A poor system that once in a while flirts with mediocrity is one reason sustained sucess has been impossible since JR has owned the team.

The Rays have the blueprint for how to build a cheap baseball team on the field and JR can't follow it. Invest in analytics.

• Like 1

I hope two things happen simultaneously:

1.) They lose every game left this year

2.) All the young guys we actually will have around in future years start to kick some ass miraculously 

• Like 1