The Rest of the Season

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Its the cheapest way to build an organization. Yet he won't do it. A poor system that once in a while flirts with mediocrity is one reason sustained sucess has been impossible since JR has owned the team.

Because Jerry despises having to pay young kids so much money

• Like 1

Honestly, until ownership changes any personnel decisions are just deck chairs. I don't see any point in laying hope on that from a fan's perspective. And frankly, whenever Getz *does* attempt to retool its akin to Tim Conway as the dentist.

Whatever it is, just do some promotions or something to make the stadium experience somewhat entertaining while we endure what's happening on the field.

• Like 1

When can guys get placed on waivers? Like how last year, teams were placing players on waivers in either Aug/Sep just to get out of their remaining salary (example: Giolito going to Guardians). I would imagine Brebbia, Flexen and Lopez are candidates for this to happen to.

I'd like to see Grifol fired and AJ put in as temporary manager.   Since he's new to that position, let's see what he's got before giving him a long term deal.   I wouldn't be expecting much but let's see if he can generate 10 or so wins from this pile of dog doo.

Alternatively, give Ozzie a 10 year contract to manage this club so top free agents would want to sign here in the offseason for less than market value.

• Like 1

The rest of the season should be used to give every fringe guy on the roster a shot to show if they can be a contributor. f*** this not sacrificing wins for the sake of development crap, since you're already going to lose a franchise record number of games. Screw the record books and see what you have.

But they will make every pathetic attempt to win meaningless games instead.

• Like 1

If the league offered to let the white sox just end the season, paying them the remainder of home games at an average of 20k attendance or something, and a loss for every game...would anyone object?

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

When can guys get placed on waivers? Like how last year, teams were placing players on waivers in either Aug/Sep just to get out of their remaining salary (example: Giolito going to Guardians). I would imagine Brebbia, Flexen and Lopez are candidates for this to happen to.

At any point.  You can put guys on waivers before the TDL.  I agree on those three and have said the same thing, but I actually changed my mind on Flexen with the help of @Buehrle>Wood.  I honestly didn't realize that Flexen was still arb eligible for 25 and 26.  Considering he'll be dirt cheap again in 2025 and Bannister likes him, I think Sox should keep him around.  Eat some innings rest of season, and give a 6th starter/long man for next season.  By all accounts a good teammate as well.  He'd almost certainly get claimed if put on waivers and you lose him for nothing but saving jerry a few hundred grand.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

At any point.  You can put guys on waivers before the TDL.  I agree on those three and have said the same thing, but I actually changed my mind on Flexen with the help of @Buehrle>Wood.  I honestly didn't realize that Flexen was still arb eligible for 25 and 26.  Considering he'll be dirt cheap again in 2025 and Bannister likes him, I think Sox should keep him around.  Eat some innings rest of season, and give a 6th starter/long man for next season.  By all accounts a good teammate as well.  He'd almost certainly get claimed if put on waivers and you lose him for nothing but saving jerry a few hundred grand.

Oh yeah he's an easy keep.

I say hire Ozzie for the rest of the year, and turn it into a reality show.

Feeds into Ozzie's ego, and it gives JR an additional income stream.

It makes this team somehow entertaining.

Just now, Paulie4Pres said:

I would like to not see the rest of the season. And I won't. 

Seriously - just apply that energy to a low-level marketing intern who is told to cold call you to hit you up for season tickets.

Then turn the intern's side of that cold call into a scene in The Front Office.

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2024 at 1:08 PM, bmags said:

If the league offered to let the white sox just end the season, paying them the remainder of home games at an average of 20k attendance or something, and a loss for every game...would anyone object?

I think this is an excellent plan. This franchise has no future anyway, not in the short run or in the long run.

Now that the Sox have traded DeBong who had surprising power this year and Eloy and Vaughn has only 10 homers, I was wondering ... is this the least amount of homers on a Sox team ever? Or since the mound was raised in the 60s? Let's face facts. Sox are not gonna win many games the rest of the way with this lack of hitting and especially inability to knock a ball over the fense.

I'd love to know where our home run totals (especially on the road) rank in baseball this year and rank in Sox history. I'd imagine our team is the worst hitting team and worst HR hitting team in Sox history or definitely since the 60s. The current roster has to be last in all of baseball in HRs and possibly one of the worst in modern history in all of baseball. Peace.

Edited by greg775

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Now that the Sox have traded DeBong who had surprising power this year and Eloy and Vaughn has only 10 homers, I was wondering ... is this the least amount of homers on a Sox team ever? Or since the mound was raised in the 60s? Let's face facts. Sox are not gonna win many games the rest of the way with this lack of hitting and especially inability to knock a ball over the fense.

I'd love to know where our home run totals (especially on the road) rank in baseball this year and rank in Sox history. I'd imagine our team is the worst hitting team and worst HR hitting team in Sox history or definitely since the 60s. The current roster has to be last in all of baseball in HRs and possibly one of the worst in modern history in all of baseball. Peace.

Not even remotely close.

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

It will be much worse next season. Records will be set.

This is what is distressing. The Sox basically have 2 good players: Robert and Crochet and Robert has yet to prove anything at the plate this season. Crochet is fabulous but still just a five-inning guy so you gots to go to the pen to ruin most of his starts. DeBong and Pham were productive (this year at least) so you basically have a lineup full of minor leaguers for next season. Hopefully we'll only win 10 more games the rest of this year and check out with 37 wins. That would be very nice in terms of embarrassing Jerry. Keeping it under 40 would be dandy. You could say next year we only win 35, but like Fathom said, it's very difficult for a baseball team to be held to this few wins. I'd bring up that SS phenom of ours and pull a Bobby Witt. Let him play. Sox stink but the question is for how many more years?