Thorpe to IL with flexor strain

ChiSox59

Thorpe is a nice player, but he is not the key player in their rebuild. Schultz, Smith, and Taylor all have way higher upsides and should all get an audition by early 2026. It will be interesting whether this is a cut and dried thing or if Thorpe rests and rehabs to try to avoid surgery. If he had surgery now, he’d be ready by Opening Day 2026. If he goes like Davis Martin, God only knows what a return might look like. I feel bad for the player, but he’s not irreplaceable.

to the IL after 45 innings with a 90mph fastball? no wonder the yanks and padres gave up on him so quickly. Pros prob told them about something funky in his delivery that's adding extra stress to his arm.

oh well. worst case, he didn't project to be higher than a #3 anyways. Shut him down, teach him how to throw correctly, and hope for a better 2025.

• Like 2

Just now, scotty22hotty said:

to the IL after 45 innings with a 90mph fastball? no wonder the yanks and padres gave up on him so quickly. Pros prob told them about something funky in his delivery that's adding extra stress to his arm.

oh well. worst case, he didn't project to be higher than a #3 anyways. Shut him down, teach him how to throw correctly, and hope for a better 2025.

Well, he threw a lot more than 45 innings this year. 

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

First Kopech, then Crochet, now Thorpe. Sox love TJS obliterating early years of control. They need to sacrifice a goat or something to change the luck.

No they just need new ownership to come in, fire everyone on the baseball side of the operations from top to bottom and hire competent people. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fathom said:

Any chance the way he throws his change up could put more stress on his elbow?  Almost like a fork ball.

Not from the latest research. The latest shows higher velo or throwing at max velo for longer.

The change up is just the fastball motion with a different grip. The forkball needed to be really over the top and a "pull " down to get the rolling effect.

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

No they just need new ownership to come in, fire everyone on the baseball side of the operations from top to bottom and hire competent people. 

Yes, the owner is responsible for the elbow issue.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Yes, the owner is responsible for the elbow issue.

Yes the owner is responsible for hiring incompetent individuals in the departments that deal with the athletes directly. 

This organization needs a complete enema. Flush all the s%*# away.  

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Yes the owner is responsible for hiring incompetent individuals in the departments that deal with the athletes directly. 

Owner is responsible for hiring the GM that got a very mediocre package back for an elite arm in Cease.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Owner is responsible for hiring the GM that got a very mediocre package back for an elite arm in Cease.

Good point. It's not just the people working with and dealing with the athletes directly but the individuals who make personnel decisions, scout and development.

It's all completely rotten to the core and needs to be expunged (ya like that word!)

No trace of current ownership needs to remain, the entire franchise needs to start fresh and renew hope and good feelings. 

9 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Last I checked most are fairly happy with the pitching coaches and program.

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Good point. It's not just the people working with and dealing with the athletes directly but the individuals who make personnel decisions, scout and development.

It's all completely rotten to the core and needs to be expunged (ya like that word!)

No trace of current ownership needs to remain, the entire franchise needs to start fresh and renew hope and good feelings. 

I just don't have the energy to hate a person this much.

I guess I'm too old.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The good news in this is now there is an explanation for Thorpe’s severe drop off in his lat 2 starts. His arm was hurting.

It appears so. Hopefully, they shut it down in time and it is just the muscle strain.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I just don't have the energy to hate a person this much.

I guess I'm too old.

They just lost their 18th straight and are on pace to have the worst winning percentage in the modern era of baseball. Read the room

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Sad. Seems like a lot of pitchers get hurt. I wonder if pitching all those innings in Little League, Babe Ruth, high school, college, minors make it impossible to make it as a big league pitcher. Arm just can't take all those stressful heaters combined with sliders.

I've heard they start training with the throwing thru a wall even as young as Little League.  It's never about location.  They start throwing breaking pitches at age 10.