8/3 Sox @ Twinkies 6:10PM - Road to 19

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Here's the brief write-up as well

A dude that can just fucking hit.  Exactly the type of player the Sox need.  Not a freaking “athletic” dude that can’t get on base, which was the previous strategy of drafting.

Bullpen today was miserable. Crochet four innings is worthless in modern baseball. He's incredible sure, but the Twins led 1-0 when he left the game. Any team that traded for this version of Crochet would have been idiotic as that team's fans would not have understood his babying of his arm and very little value down the stretch into the playoffs.

19 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Bullpen today was miserable. Crochet four innings is worthless in modern baseball. He's incredible sure, but the Twins led 1-0 when he left the game. Any team that traded for this version of Crochet would have been idiotic as that team's fans would not have understood his babying of his arm and very little value down the stretch into the playoffs.

LOL, “babying” of Crochet’s arm?  Have you followed either Crochet’s career or the Sox at all for the last few years?  The Sox have done the exact opposite of “babying” Crochet’s arm this year.

Crochet is at 118 innings pitched on the season.  In the previous 4 years, he only pitched a combined total of 73 innings in the majors.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

LOL, “babying” of Crochet’s arm?  Have you followed either Crochet’s career or the Sox at all for the last few years?  The Sox have done the exact opposite of “babying” Crochet’s arm this year.

I stand by what I said. Talk to pitchers like Jim Kaat, Fergie Jenkins, Mark Buehrle, Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, LaMarr Hoyt about inning limits. They got the ball and threw it.

Looking at a line-up without any sort of offensive punch day-in and day-out is embarrassing.  Our “top hitter” today from today clocks in batting .228.  We had 2 guys batting under .200 and another 2 under .210.  Compare that to the Twins where their worst guy’s batting average was .233.  

OBP…we have nobody with a .300 or higher.  You can’t score runs if your entire team lacks the ability to hit and/or get on base at even a mediocre level.  

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I stand by what I said. Talk to pitchers like Jim Kaat, Fergie Jenkins, Mark Buehrle, Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, LaMarr Hoyt about inning limits. They got the ball and threw it.

Which of those guys threw more innings in one year than they had in the previous 5 combined?  Oh right, this is greg and his pearls being clutched again.  OH WHY OH WHY CAN'T IT BE 1975 AGAIN?!?!?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which of those guys threw more innings in one year than they had in the previous 5 combined?  Oh right, this is greg and his pearls being clutched again.  OH WHY OH WHY CAN'T IT BE 1975 AGAIN?!?!?

And two of the pitchers he mentioned barely threw 90 MPH.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Please comment on my assertion that a team would have been crazy to trade for Crochet considering his limitations on Aug. 1. Also comment on his being totally worthless to the Sox at this stage of the season going 4 innings max. This is silly to even discuss. 2-4 innings in the early portion of the game is not important.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And two of the pitchers he mentioned barely threw 90 MPH.

I can add a lot more: Koosman, Clemens, Ryan, others said: Give me the ball.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Please comment on my assertion that a team would have been crazy to trade for Crochet considering his limitations on Aug. 1. Also comment on his being totally worthless to the Sox at this stage of the season going 4 innings max. This is silly to even discuss. 2-4 innings in the early portion of the game is not important.

Why are you worried about Crochet being worthless to the already worthless 27-86 White Sox?  At this point, the Sox winning or losing games isn’t important because their season was already over months ago.

Do you not think Crochet will be tradable in the offseason?  Because the key for the Sox is keeping him healthy, not winning a meaningless game so greg can go to bed with a smile on his face.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

56 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Why are you worried about Crochet being worthless to the already worthless 27-86 White Sox?  At this point, the Sox winning or losing games isn’t important because their season was already over months ago.

Do you not think Crochet will be tradable in the offseason?  Because the key for the Sox is keeping him healthy, not winning a meaningless game so greg can go to bed with a smile on his face.

Frankly I'd just shut everybody down on the team who has a future in the game. If all the games are meaningless, which they are, just sit everybody of note lest they get hurt. The two things that absolutely drive greg crazy are politics and the state of the Sox. As far as the Sox, from reading posts on Soxtalk I've been convinced our fave team is going to be even worse next year and very very bad again in 2026. Most of the fans on here don't want to start the clock on any of our good prospects til 2026 or 2027. So that means for a 4-year span, the White Sox are going to continue losing games at a record clip. This infuriates greg to no end. ... So yes when I read about Crochet's being shut down, I get upset.

Meanwhile in a bad economy the White Sox are apparently raking in mega dollars and will continue to rake in mega dollars and if for some reason the team was sold it would be for billions of dollars. I don't understand all the nonsequitirs. Forgive me for being frustrated and upset and mystified all in one.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Putting aside the year-over-year jumps in innings, pretty good example of survival bias, I see.

What abiut guys like Bird Fidrych?

Jason Bere?

Darren Dreifort?

There are dozens of other names that people don't remember or recall because their arms fell off after a year or two of abuse, and their careers were cut short. I'll even throw Koufax on that list, as his arm basically fell off at age 30.

Anyone can list up Hall of Fame pitchers with long careers and say "well they did it, so why can't Crochet?" They conveniently forget about the ones who didn't "make it." This may come as a surprise, but there are more who don't survive the way you're suggesting the team treat Crochet.

This organization is doing a lot of things horrendously, but attempting to limit Crochet's workload is at least logical.

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

This is nonsense and you know it is.  Be for real talking about this stuff for once.  Crochet is in his first full year after Tommy John why would you want to ruin his arm again

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

I am glad you realized how historically ignorant your post was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Congratulations !! Show us your check  Or however they do it now. I haven't made a bet since I won $4K on Superbowl XXXVII in 2003.

I posted it on last page. Buxton did not score a run so it did not hit

17 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

A dude that can just fucking hit.  Exactly the type of player the Sox need.  Not a freaking “athletic” dude that can’t get on base, which was the previous strategy of drafting.

Can we throw in Jake McCarthy as a guy that it'd be nice to have?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Quin said:

Can we throw in Jake McCarthy as a guy that it'd be nice to have?

No, you get Dominic Fletcher and you’ll like it!

Amazing how many poor decisions Getz has made outside of his one good signing (Fedde).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No, you get Dominic Fletcher and you’ll like it!

Amazing how many poor decisions Getz has made outside of his one good signing (Fedde).

He’s 1 for 15….just like his players