Assuring Teams are "Trying to Win"

Texsox

I've read in several places the commissioner needs to make certain teams are trying to win. That sounds good but what would that look like? 

Imagine if Getz was able to land a haul for Crochet and the commissioner blocked it because they aren't trying to win this year.  That's technically correct but not in the team's long term best interest. 

Minimum payroll? I like that. 

What else could they do? 

On 8/6/2024 at 12:20 PM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

A salary cap floor would fix a lot.  100 million floor.

And, what does the MLBP Union give up for this concession?

On 8/10/2024 at 5:01 AM, oldsox said:

And, what does the MLBP Union give up for this concession?

A salary cap, right? To me this is the most absurd thing about the MLB, no cap or floor.

The thing about a floor is what if you just have a really good team of young players? So you're forced to overpay for free agents you don't want, don't think are good; or else you're not competing?

The arbitration process is the primary issue I think. This would be less of an issue if free agents were actually good and players weren't reaching free agency when their careers are on the downward trend. I think a lot would need to change to create financial parity and so it seems unlikely to happen. Or maybe you start counting minor leaguers toward payroll and increase their wages. That seems like a fair idea actually, I think the MILB players are the ones who need a pay raise. Yeah they just got one, but the minor leaguers really are the lifeblood of the league. You need all those players who won't sniff the majors because the actual good players need competition to play against. There isn't a MLB without those players in my opinion. 

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2024 at 4:52 AM, Texsox said:

I've read in several places the commissioner needs to make certain teams are trying to win. That sounds good but what would that look like? 

Imagine if Getz was able to land a haul for Crochet and the commissioner blocked it because they aren't trying to win this year.  That's technically correct but not in the team's long term best interest. 

Minimum payroll? I like that. 

What else could they do? 

Biggest myth in baseball, more so for a Sox fan.  Trade deadline was a serious giveaway.

There are teams though that need that one player or two that fall int the wait for next year approach with their farm. 

On 8/11/2024 at 2:56 PM, nrockway said:

A salary cap, right? To me this is the most absurd thing about the MLB, no cap or floor.

The thing about a floor is what if you just have a really good team of young players? So you're forced to overpay for free agents you don't want, don't think are good; or else you're not competing?

The arbitration process is the primary issue I think. This would be less of an issue if free agents were actually good and players weren't reaching free agency when their careers are on the downward trend. I think a lot would need to change to create financial parity and so it seems unlikely to happen. Or maybe you start counting minor leaguers toward payroll and increase their wages. That seems like a fair idea actually, I think the MILB players are the ones who need a pay raise. Yeah they just got one, but the minor leaguers really are the lifeblood of the league. You need all those players who won't sniff the majors because the actual good players need competition to play against. There isn't a MLB without those players in my opinion. 

Owners sort of do this.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 10:29 AM, kitekrazy said:

Biggest myth in baseball, more so for a Sox fan.  Trade deadline was a serious giveaway.

There are teams though that need that one player or two that fall int the wait for next year approach with their farm. 

Yep, I’ve given up on this now, especially with whom we have dealing the players.