Biggest Single Season Turnarounds

Texsox

Thinking ahead to 2025, a huge turnaround would be about winning 25 more games, record breaking is 35.  Most of those were the result of a 65 or so win team breaking out. Not the worse team if all time. 

That would probably result in around 70 to 75 wins next season. (And unlikely but better to think about than 20 losses in a row). 

With the expected upcoming events, new manager, a couple trades for prospects, is it possible to win 70 without making the potential 2027 squad weaker? 

36 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Thinking ahead to 2025, a huge turnaround would be about winning 25 more games, record breaking is 35.  Most of those were the result of a 65 or so win team breaking out. Not the worse team if all time. 

That would probably result in around 70 to 75 wins next season. (And unlikely but better to think about than 20 losses in a row). 

With the expected upcoming events, new manager, a couple trades for prospects, is it possible to win 70 without making the potential 2027 squad weaker?

I can't see a path to winning 70 games next season. Especially if they trade Crochet and Robert in the off season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

Play kids who want to play baseball and dump all the has-beens.  See if grinder ball gets them to 70.

This is exactly what we have been doing loading up on utility players.  This is 2024, not 1924.  It doesn't work anymore.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Getz has demonstrated no ability to pick up good prospects in trades.  Hes been fleeced in every trade.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, T R U said:

I can't see a path to winning 70 games next season. Especially if they trade Crochet and Robert in the off season.

I question if it should even be a goal. I guess there's is a little magic in "only" losing 99 games, especially if we see system improvement.

The only progress I'm seeing is many publications have moved our farm system into the upper half. 

Just now, FloydBannister1983 said:

Getz has demonstrated no ability to pick up good prospects in trades.  Hes been fleeced in every trade.

So we're probably looking at 100 losses for another five or six years minimum until he's gone. Then another couple years until his replacement can fix the problems. 

• Paper Bag 1

Just now, FloydBannister1983 said:

That’s what this year should have been.

But don't rush anyone to the majors. Look how many guys we've ruined that way. 

Just now, Texsox said:

So we're probably looking at 100 losses for another five or six years minimum until he's gone. Then another couple years until his replacement can fix the problems. 

It certainly seems that way.  If I were a betting man that’s what I’d bet.

They will probably win enough games to pick seventh or eighth in the 2025 season.  Then, when they can’t pick in the top ten, they’ll lose 110.

56 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is exactly what we have been doing loading up on utility players.  This is 2024, not 1924.  It doesn't work anymore.

Doesn’t a guy like Baldwin fit this mold though? I think you can win a lot of games with a roster full of Brooks Baldwin’s.

I think having an actual closer improves this team by 20 games easy. These have not been hard problems they are just reluctant to address them out of stubbornness? Stupidity? Establish roles in a bullpen, get a couple of bats and a manager that's not brain dead. Will they do all this? Probably not. I expect them to spend millions on fringe major leaguers they inevitably trade for nothing. I think this team can easily improve next year. But I don't think the organization is competent enough to follow the right path.

43 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Yeah it sure seems that way. No reason to get attached to prospects and drafting because we're probably looking at a decade before they even get close to division contention. 

I'm coping by finding players I like in the system and hope that they find success before moving on to a contender. 

• Like 2

48 games left. They would have to go 36 and 12 to not lose 100 games. This team is not the 1962 Mets. They are worse because they have players that are actually major leaguers I THINK. Not many of you remember but 2 years ago before Pedro was hired I wanted Bochy as our manager. I got blasted by many of you saying thinGs like “ he’s too old” “ we need a younger thinking manager “ “ we need a Latin manager that can relate to today’s players” now 2 years later Bochy won a World Series and we are the NY Mets, maybe even worse. When JR sells the team I will return to the park and watching them on TV.  Here’s what I don’t want though, an owner who spends billions on players for season ticket sales like the idiot in New York. You have to spend wisely and make sure you have chemistry. Spend but spend wisely. I was a season ticket holder from the day the Sox signed Fisk until the last year of old Comiskey. La Russa was the manager. Hawk fired him.  He went on to Oakland and St. Louis and won the World Series in both cities. We get TLR when he was washed up. No matter who the manager is in 2025 we will be losers big time again with JR owning and Getz as GM. 

8 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

1999 Arizona +35

1988 Orioles +33

2022 Orioles +31

2008 Rays +31

1993 Giants +31

All were teams that won sixty or better the previous year. Could we go 35 to 70? Maybe with an owner that wants to not only cover their debt from buying the team but operate at a loss for a few seasons. 

But even then there is the huge problem of convincing top tier free agents to come here. 

14 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

1999 Arizona +35

1988 Orioles +33

2022 Orioles +31

2008 Rays +31

1993 Giants +31

Out of all these teams, only 2022, 2023 Orioles had gains in the following year.  The Orioles went from 50-112 to 83-79 to 101-61.  All others had more losses after the turnaround seasons.